Photo

My life in Bastrop,TX (not knife related)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Drawing, Smithing and IT

Posted 06 August 2016 - 12:04 AM

You really are a talented photographer Austin.  And that is a gorgeous picture of the sky.  I am envious; like Brian, there is so much light pollution where I live :(  

In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

#22 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 03:02 AM

Haha Brian... your sense of humor was on point. :)

Really appreciate it Wes! It's one of the many hobbies I really enjoy but don't have much use for in the real world. The star's always fascinate me so much.

#23 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 06 August 2016 - 05:04 PM

The star's always fascinate me so much.

Me too.  My first major in college was physics, with the intention of becoming an astrophysicist.  It never happened though because I was a stupid teenager.  I still regret it to this day.

In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

#24 Kenneth Mauldin

Kenneth Mauldin
  • Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 05:47 PM

So jealous!

#25 C Craft

C Craft
  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:Family and especially my grandson! Building knives is becoming a passion with me. Outdoors in general, hunting fishing.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Great eye for the photography, sometimes it is hard to capture what the eye sees and you do a great job of that! Two thumbs up on the photo's!!!

We all need to take a moment in these times and gaze at the sky and the other wonderment's of God's world!! It always puts me closer to him!

Edited by C Craft, 08 August 2016 - 07:49 AM.

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

#26 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 12,276 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:55 AM

Me too.  My first major in college was physics, with the intention of becoming an astrophysicist.  It never happened though because I was a stupid teenager.  I still regret it to this day.

Me too!  I was even the astronomy lab TA for a while.  Then Differential Equations (second-year calculus, second semester) conquered my feeble brain and I remembered that archaeology doesn't involve math beyond geometry...  I don't regret it, but I do miss the telescopes. 

• Wes Detrick likes this

#27 Joshua States

Joshua States

Wait a minute.....what?

• Members
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Making stuff, hunting, rock climbing, philosophy, general adventure seeker.

Posted 08 August 2016 - 11:48 PM

Me too!  I was even the astronomy lab TA for a while.  Then Differential Equations (second-year calculus, second semester) conquered my feeble brain and I remembered that archaeology doesn't involve math beyond geometry...  I don't regret it, but I do miss the telescopes. 

Yeah, Diff E-Q (as we called it) killed many a science major.......

So, I switched to Theater! No math at all! And lots of flexible female dance majors in tight fitting clothes...

But I stray off topic. Excellent photos Austin. Someday I will ditch the City life and move out to the woods.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live, and die, on this day.

Josh

http://www.dosgatosdesignsllc.com/#!

#28 stuart davenport

stuart davenport
  • Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 12:58 PM

Your photos are just simply awesome, Austin!  Great job with the camera!  Nice pic of the bull nose!  Cool snakes, if there is such a thing.  Your time lapse of the stars is excellent, as well as the Milky Way panorama.  The Hill Country is beautiful, for sure, and you capture it well. 

Posted Image

#29 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 12:08 AM

Thank you so much Stuart!

#30 Tom Rudd

Tom Rudd
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:motorcycles, riding mostly, micarta, learning new stuff

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:43 AM

yup, I was an over the road trucker for almost five years, had to come off the road when my wife got sick. Texas is a great state for truckers, very welcoming. I've been all over from the feeder lots in Dalhart all the way down to Laredo and Brownsville. and of course every inch of I-10, I-20 and I-40.

#31 Francesco Muci

Francesco Muci
  • Members
  • 77 posts
  • Interests:Climbing, violin making/restoring, history, medieval reenactment, leatherworking, traveling, rhum and Scottish Scotch Whiskey (especially from the Skye Island), making stuff by hand in general...

Posted 19 October 2016 - 03:01 AM

Your pictures have a soul. Gorgeous job. And, thanks for sharing!
NEME SPES, NEME METU http://zansh62.wix.com/damascusknives
www.facebook.com/MuciDamascusKnives

#32 Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin (The Professor)
  • Supporting Member
  • 4,541 posts
  • Interests:Family (Wife and stepson) reading, Psychology, law, public policy (teaching people to get along, take care of one-another, and not destroy the planet in the process). Bladesmithing, Outdoors stuff of all types, esp. camping and ecology, exercise, cooking. Dogs and Cats.

Posted 19 October 2016 - 05:22 AM

Damn, but I planned to retire to that area. Maybe still will. Depends on family that I have up here now. I am, and will always be,  Texan.

Lived in Trinity, Huntsville, Austin, and Tyler.

The Hill Country and the corridor between Austin and San Marcos is God's country. Some of my favorite camping has been on Lake Travis and Lake Bastrop.

good times, good place, and good people.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

#33 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:04 PM

A few from this past weekend. My roommates and I went out to their ranch for some camping  while a cold front blew through, dropping temps below freezing... it was COLD!

hIBGSFQh.jpg

Unfortunately the brightest part of the Milky Way is hidden behind the sun this time of year.

ZA9yJ3jh.jpg

a7a8QwZh.jpg

Edited by Austin_Lyles, 20 November 2016 - 06:05 PM.

• Wes Detrick likes this

#34 Joshua States

Joshua States

Wait a minute.....what?

• Members
  • 1,152 posts
  • Interests:Making stuff, hunting, rock climbing, philosophy, general adventure seeker.

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

Always a pleasure viewing your photos Austin.

Thanks for the scenery.

“So I'm lightin' out for the territory, ahead of the scared and the weak and the mean spirited, because Aunt Sally is fixin’ to adopt me and civilize me, and I can't stand it. I've been there before.”

Once more into the fray. Into the last good fight I'll ever know. Live and die on this day. Live, and die, on this day.

Josh

#35 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:22 PM

Thanks Joshua!

#36 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 10:28 PM

Shot on a Pentax K1000

-SMC Pentax 50mm f/2

-Film was Kodak Tri-X 400

mhuP8z5h.jpg

Shot on a German Exa Ihagee Dresden

-Novoflex 35mm f/3.5

-Film was Kodax Tri-X 400

RSeZ6Ryh.jpg

So this is a whole new area for me! I developed my first two rolls of film late last night at the school's darkroom with one of my professors. Here's two decent shots that I like.

Edited by Austin_Lyles, 07 December 2016 - 10:31 PM.

#37 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:49 AM

I remember getting to develop my own film when i was in school.  There is something about seeing them come to life in the trays that you don't get with a digital camera.  I will say though, that the pictures I took were garbage compared to yours.

#38 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 12:54 PM

Thanks again Wes! It was a pretty interesting process. I was pleasantly surprised with the sharpness of the film compared to my digital camera.

#39 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 12,276 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 08 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

That's why when Digital came out they said it would never replace film. :rolleyes:   You should see some of the 4x5 negatives I made with Ilford 100, and the color transparencies with Ektachrome Lumiere 100... no visible grain at 400x enlargement.  But then you have to have a darkroom, and hauling around a 4x5 technical camera is a bit of a chore. ;)   Those old K1000s are great cameras if you've got good glass for them.  My film camera collection is a Minolta SRT-100, a Minolta X-700, and a Busch Pressman D with the lens off a Linhof Technica.

I miss a darkroom. :(

#40 Joshua States

Joshua States

Wait a minute.....what?

• Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 03:08 PM

Glad you are enjoying the delights of real film Austin. I had a small darkroom set up when I was back in high school. Made a mess in my bathroom, but I had a blast. 

I'm old enough to remember getting a Brownie for my first camera. It was a hand-me-down from my father who I think kept it in a show box in the closet......it looked like this: http://www.brownie-camera.com/11.shtml

That's why when Digital came out they said it would never replace film. :rolleyes:   

Yeah, it's truly amazing that the now bankrupt Kodak Corp. invented digital photography. What happened you ask?

Well, the management said exactly what Alan quoted, and they thought that nobody would ever be satisfied with the quality of photographs that could be taken on a phone.......so they sold the technology to Fuji (?) and the rest is history.

I read somewhere in business school that "in order to be truly innovative, you might have to stop doing what made you successful in the first place."

Good advice for anyone, even knife makers.  :huh:

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users