My new Hot Rod!

2 1/4 HP !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Preaching, Gospel Bluegrass & Celtic Music ,military history , bladesmithing , knife making ,Leatherwork, muzzeloading and every art form that can be possibly connected to the above , and some that ain't www.hoy'sforge.com

Posted 21 May 2016 - 10:11 PM

While removing some junk from my Dad's garage I encountered his battered old treadmill. He had tried to sell it and even give it away but  no takers. Seeing that thing made me think of a big belt sander ..........well now , I had an old 4x36 homemade belt sander that some guy built in 1950 with a washing machine motor. There was no bearings in the rollers and I could easily stall it with any thing more than a light pressure....... What if I could ....OH yeah .I feel like Dr. Frankenstien  . I  remove the rollers and bearings from treadmill , shorten them, then replace the bearings , remount and install on old sander  HA hah  ha .  I Then trash the  old motor , cut out motor mount from treadmill and bolt it up to  sander, reattach wireing ( hey theres a wireing diagram in the treadmill ) Mount the control panel on the table and ...varommm  POWER  ! IT'S ALIVE!! No more wimpy easily stalled sander, now it's unstoppable ( unless of course you turn it off)

Im now getting aerobic and burning fat while  I grind on a blade.  SO much torque even on slow burn  , I can shape hardwood and not burn it black.  This was too much fun. I might ask around if any other ex work out junkies close by have a monster in their closet ha ha ha!

Attached Images

• DSC06496.JPG
  • DSC06497.JPG
  • DSC06498.JPG
  • DSC06499.JPG
  • DSC06500.JPG

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy. Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

#2 Brian Dougherty

Brian Dougherty
  • Members
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything that lets me work with my hands.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

I love it!

-Brian

#3 C Craft

C Craft
  • Members
  • 985 posts
  • Interests:Family and especially my grandson! Building knives is becoming a passion with me. Outdoors in general, hunting fishing.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:37 PM

Dr. Frankenstein, I presume!!! 

Don't you just love it when you see something and that light bulb comes on and you can see the whole project in the blink of eye from start to finish!!!! It lends new meaning to, "one mans trash is another mans's treasure"!! :lol:

C Craft Customs ~~~ With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down ! If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner! ~~~ C Craft

#4 James Gibson

James Gibson
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:shooting, reloading, blades of all kinds and hotrods

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:47 PM

Ok now it's starting to look like my kneck of the woods. I love it.

#5 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 606 posts
  • Interests:Preaching, Gospel Bluegrass & Celtic Music ,military history , bladesmithing , knife making ,Leatherwork, muzzeloading and every art form that can be possibly connected to the above , and some that ain't www.hoy'sforge.com

Posted 24 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

I am happy happy happy with it ! :D

www.hoyfamily.net

Isa 54:16 Behold, I have created the smith that bloweth the coals in the fire, and that bringeth forth an instrument for his work; and I have created the waster to destroy. Lu 22:36 Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Mr 8:36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?

#6 Thor Laizans

Thor Laizans
  • Members
  • 3 posts
  • Interests:Blades- I like buying em/ making em/ selling em/ throwing em/ lookin at em/ talkin about em/ and using em

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:42 PM

While removing some junk from my Dad's garage I encountered his battered old treadmill. He had tried to sell it and even give it away but  no takers. Seeing that thing made me think of a big belt sander ..........well now , I had an old 4x36 homemade belt sander that some guy built in 1950 with a washing machine motor. There was no bearings in the rollers and I could easily stall it with any thing more than a light pressure....... What if I could ....OH yeah .I feel like Dr. Frankenstien  . I  remove the rollers and bearings from treadmill , shorten them, then replace the bearings , remount and install on old sander  HA hah  ha .  I Then trash the  old motor , cut out motor mount from treadmill and bolt it up to  sander, reattach wireing ( hey theres a wireing diagram in the treadmill ) Mount the control panel on the table and ...varommm  POWER  ! IT'S ALIVE!! No more wimpy easily stalled sander, now it's unstoppable ( unless of course you turn it off)

Im now getting aerobic and burning fat while  I grind on a blade.  SO much torque even on slow burn  , I can shape hardwood and not burn it black.  This was too much fun. I might ask around if any other ex work out junkies close by have a monster in their closet ha ha ha!

RAD!!!   OUTSTANDING!!!

#7 Hoy's Forge

Hoy's Forge
  • Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 04:53 PM

today i reworked my tracking system. I mounted the ideler roller shaft in two 1 1/2x3/4 aluminum blocks. the blocks are drilled thru  to ride on all thred rods infront of a nut. by moving the right or left nut I can tighten or loosen the belt , or track it right and left! Put on a new ceramic 80 g belt and chew thru a hardened file like butter!

www.hoyfamily.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users