Buster Warenski?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sean McGrath

Sean McGrath
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

Says he made a reproduction of King Tut's blade with 32oz of Gold that was specially heat treated.

http://en.wikipedia....Buster_Warenski

Also mentions that he was mainly famous for Hunting Knives, until his later years, when he started making pure "Art" Knives, one of which was called "The Gem of the Orient" and took him ten years to make...

Anybody remember him, or knew him? It say's he died in '05.
To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect.
-Lao Tzu

#2 Sean McGrath

Sean McGrath
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:00 AM

I found a page showing the "Tut" knife...

http://www.sanfranci.../kingtutpg.html

This is also the knife that made me think that Kyle O'Donnell's KITH knife handle resembled an Egyptian style blade.
To realize that you do not understand is a virtue; Not to realize that you do not understand is a defect.
-Lao Tzu

#3 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 12,276 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:57 AM

Buster was one of THE best. He and his wife Julie (who did much of the engraving) pretty much perfected the category of "art knife" as we know it today.

I never met him, but I've always been in awe of his work.

#4 Orien M

Orien M
  • Members
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Besides bladesmithing....camping, gardening, hunting and fishing, art and music, bicycles and human-powered machines, history, archaeology and anthropology, beer

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:15 AM

I remember seeing this repro years ago...amazing :D. I always liked the design on the scabbard of this dagger, and he got it just perfect...Egyptian art is very specific and not the easiest to get right. Great stuff, thanks...

(As a bit of an amateur Egyptophile, I think Tut's 'other' dagger was even more interesting than the gold one...it had a blade of iron, very unusual for Egypt at the time. I've heard it's meteoric iron, but don't know if that's been scientifically verified. Sorry to ramble a bit...)
My hand-forged knives and tools at Etsy.com: http://www.etsy.com/shop/oldschooltools

#5 JDWare

JDWare
  • Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:17 AM

I met Buster around 30 years ago, when I went to my first Knifemakers Guild show and became a probationary member (I dropped out of knifemaking shortly after that). He was one of the great knifemakers of his time - his work evolved from simple utility to high "art" knives. If you're not familiar with his or other makers work from the 70's or 80's, check out some of the older knife books of the time - the Knives Annual Editions - starting in 1981, Gun Digest Book of Knives, even Sid Latham's book Knives and Knifemakers. It's interesting to see what "custom knives" were like then, what was considered great work of the time, and how much things have changed.
Jeff

#6 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, Buster is a legend.

Don Fogg (no less) described him this way: "And then there is Buster, so far ahead of the pack, you can't see his tail lights."

His apprentice Kurt Erickson is making blades that incorporate many of Buster's elements (dramatic sweeping plunge cuts on hollow ground blades, etc.). His widow, Julie, still does the masterful engraving for these pieces.

If you get the opportunity, you should read up on the construction of the King Tut dagger. It was a truly groundbreaking piece that stretched even his nerves and skills to produce.

I never had the opportunity to meet him either, but I had photos of his knives torn from Blade magazine taped up on my locker door in high school (I know, I was a wierd kid).

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

#7 Sean McGrath

Sean McGrath
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 11:44 AM

I can't imagine spending ten years on a knife, he must have been a truly dedicated man.

Hibben is really the only "Art" knife maker that I've ever heard much about, but I always thought his more famous creations were kind of gaudy looking. I'll have to look and see what else I can find about Buster.
-Lao Tzu

#8 Jim Kelso

Jim Kelso
  • Members
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:Nature, The Numinous, photography, finding truth in beauty and beauty in truth.

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:59 PM

I'd say Buster was an early seminal figure in the art knife movement. Incredible design sense for the whole package and did his own fine engraving before Julie took over. I remember Fred Carter and I went by his table at one of the Kansas City Guild shows. Buster was on the quiet side so we teased him about being born with a graver in one hand. :rolleyes:

Considering his status he never struck me as being over impressed with his accomplishments. I only met him a few times but always enjoyed it. We talked briefly about the Tut piece and the enameling and granulation which had him sweating bullets as I don't believe he had done those techniques before that.

That piece is a tour-de-force of workmanship and an amazing accomplishment.

Jim

Edited by Jim Kelso, 07 September 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#9 Kerrystagmer

Kerrystagmer
  • Supporting Member
  • 537 posts
  • Interests:European and Asian blades and steels. Vintage auto racing PRE 1960. Forming metal of all types in everyway possible.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 06:31 PM

http://www.bladeforu...Parrying-Dagger

This will give you a good idea of the workmanship.

#10 Mark Green

Mark Green
  • Members
  • 2,177 posts
  • Interests:Knight, and Laurel of the SCA, Making Tsuba, learning to make, and forge iron/steel. History, Shooting, learning new stuff.

Posted 14 September 2011 - 08:51 PM

Yup, That is very sexy. It looks like something a king would have. A foppish king :D

Wonderful talent.

Mark
Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?
(cptn. Mal)

#11 Mike Ruslander

Mike Ruslander
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Handmade knives, art.

Posted 20 September 2011 - 10:18 AM

Rumour had it that the "Gem of the Orient" was the first $1,000,000 modern handmade knife. I seem to recall that a Japanese tycoon commisned Buster to make another King Tut knife and Buster being the man of honor that he was refused but suggested an equally ornate gold and jewel encrusted knife.

#12 Jacques Delfosse

Jacques Delfosse
  • Members
  • 1,201 posts
  • Interests:Always collecting knives.Founder of the Belgian Knife's Society ( BKS ) and organizer of the BKS Cutlery Days in Gembloux, Belgium.Child sitting for my granddaughter :)

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:54 PM

Do somebody of you have a picture from this "Gem of the Orient" ?
Thanks a lot. :D

#13 Sean McGrath

Sean McGrath
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 06:01 PM

I looked for a picture of it, but haven't found one yet. I'd like to see it too.
-Lao Tzu

#14 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:18 PM

This is the Gem of the Orient.

Breathtaking, huh?

Attached Images

• CAF_339.jpg

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

#15 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,855 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:20 PM

Also, here is the King Tutt dagger.

This is a groundbreaking piece.

I sure wish I could have met Buster. He was truly amazing.

Attached Images

• KingTutDagger.jpg

#16 Sean McGrath

Sean McGrath
  • Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:16 PM

Breathtaking, huh?

I'd say. I wonder if the black underneath the gold on the hilt is Onyx? If gemstones were the driving force, that's the only black "gem" I can think of.
-Lao Tzu

#17 SgtEarl

SgtEarl
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 November 2013 - 08:30 PM

This is an old string, however, I recall quite clearly reading his own story about the challenges of not only creating such a masterpiece, but of having to literally re-create some of the processes necessary to make such a replica.  As others noted, it darn near cost him everything ... probably to include his sanity.  I don't recall having met the man, but as someone who first began following the custom makers 30 odd years ago, I was in awe of him and and many of his contemporaries.  The ones I was fortunate enough to meet were all gentlemen of the old school!  God bless them.

#18 Ray Hammond

Ray Hammond
  • Members
  • 128 posts
  • Interests:bowhunting with longbows and forging knives

Posted 07 November 2014 - 02:09 PM

Sean, there's also a material called "Jet" that is black. I believe jade can also be found in a black variant.

Edited by Ray Hammond, 07 November 2014 - 02:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users