READ BEFORE YOU REGISTER
Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:22 PM
1. Please use your real name or a variation of your real name. NO numerals with your name. It's getting to the point where I do not approve cute or silly usernames. You are NOT "swordmaster," "forgegod," "pestilence," or "bonecrusher." Please don't use "Smith" or "Smithy" unless your name is Smith, we're all bladesmiths here. Same with "Forge," "knives," blades," and so on. The use of real names shows respect for the forum and the collective expertise gathered here.
2. Speaking of respect, do not upload offensive avatars or signiture lines. A few weeks ago a new member uploaded an avatar calculated to be offensive to at least three major religions and a few ethnic groups besides. I deleted that avatar and politely asked him to use something less confrontational. This user replied with great disrespect to the whole forum, and has been summarily and permanently banned. I will not hesitate to do that.
3. Spam links in your signiture line are expressly prohibited and will also get you permanently removed. Email addresses that are obviously spam sites will result in your approval being denied.
4. When you register you will be sent a confirmation email to ensure you are not a spambot. If you do not reply within 48 hours you will not be registered. I handle all the registrations myself. I check the list daily, sometimes two or three times a day, between the hours of 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Eastern Time, U.S. time zone. Be patient, I'll get to you.
5. We are real humans here. Admins can see your email address and your IP number. You are NOT anonymous. Flagrant abuse will result in a report to your ISP.
The overwhelming majority of people here do not need to read this, of course. This is a fantastic community of talent the like of which exists nowhere else on the web. We are respectful and adult. Let's keep it that way, okay?
Finally, if you want to change your screen name to your real name, just let any of the admins know. We'll be happy to do it for you.
Edited 27 September 2010 to add: Apparently four out of five applicants don't believe me about the name thing. Consider it an IQ test to gain admission. If you think you have been unfairly denied admission, email me, not Don. If you just really really have to use a screen name, email me about it before you register or chances are you won't get approved. Yes, there are lots of screen names here that aren't real names. They're grandfathered in or just got by me when I was feeling agreeable.
I do not want to be the draconian "that guy." I will, however, do everything in my abilities to keep this forum the place it has become over the years.
Edited 24 September 2013 to add: Some people are telling me they get an error message when trying to register. This appears to be a glitch in your firewall/ your organization's firewalls. If you get an error message when trying to register a new account email me and I will set you up manually.
Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:32 PM
Thanks for doing all the heavy lifting on new registrations, Alan. Without your careful screening we'd be unable to have the great discussions we have because we'd be drowned in spam.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt
Posted 04 January 2011 - 12:34 PM
Seriously, I just deleted 27 Russian spambots. < _<
edit 6 Jan 11: make that around 150 in the last two days...
Edit 01/07/11, 8:00 AM: 225... 1:34 PM: 253. 7:32 PM: 268.
Edit 01/08, 4:02 PM: 313. 7:10 PM: 331.
End of tally. You get the idea. REAL NAMES, people. NO numbers with names. If it bothers you, kill a spammer.
Posted 17 January 2011 - 10:01 AM
Posted 19 January 2011 - 10:59 AM
Posted 01 March 2011 - 10:06 AM
It does apply to you. Yes, even you.
Posted 16 January 2012 - 09:37 AM
What this means for you:
I am going through the registrations and removing something like 20 to 40 spam registrations every few hours.
This means if you do not pay attention to the guidelines posted in this thread AND in the announcement that appears at the top of every single page on this site, I will not bother to check to see if you are a spammer or not. Your IP will be added to the permanently banned ones, along with your email and username.
If you are applying from Russia, Poland, Ukraine, Belarus, Romania, Bulgaria, or China please take special care to let me know you are not a paid spammer.
Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:45 PM
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users