Sad to hear Ray Johnson passed away.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:12 PM

I don't know if any of you know him, but he was the bladesmith at Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO.  As a kid, I was captivated watching him make knives.  His knives were not the prettiest, but they were so functional.  Through the years, I would spend time talking with him and just listening.  Then as an adult with my own kids, I finally got a forge and was able to show him one of my knives.  

I will miss him.  

#2 Josh Brannen

Josh Brannen
  • Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

My deepest sympathies. My prayers are with his family as well as you, Brandon. Losing someone who had such an impact on your life is always hard.

#3 Gary Mulkey

Gary Mulkey
  • Members
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

It's always a big loss when an old time bladesmith passes and it's that way with the loss of Ray as well.  Ray told me the day that he was sent home from work that he had no fear of death but only the path getting there and got his wish as he died only 36 hours after leaving work.  I hope that when my time comes that I can work right up to the end the same way.

I'll miss you, Ray.  The knife world will be diminished with your passing.

I'll ring the anvil for you.

Gary

Edited by Gary Mulkey, 20 July 2014 - 10:17 AM.

Gary

ABS,CKCA,ABKA,KGA

#4 Collin Miller

Collin Miller
  • Members
  • 1,121 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, Norse mythology, knives, woodcarving, bow making, blacksmithing, Finnish mythology, Scandinavian history, whittling, good books, leather working, guns, ancient history, Celtic knotwork, drawing, archery, animals, hunting, shooting, making jewelry, swords of all kinds.

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:00 AM

I heard about him, very sad, I watched him and talked to him at Silver Dollar City as well. The anvil I have was bought from one of the other bladesmiths at Silver Dollar City his name was Dennis Smith, he's the one who makes all the RR spike knives.

Rest in peace Ray.

“If you trust in yourself. . . believe in your dreams. . . and follow your star. . . you will still get beaten by the people who have spent their time working hard and learning things, the people who weren't so lazy.” ~ Terry Pratchett

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users