Trouble with videos

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gunnershop

Gunnershop
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

I am having trouble viewing some of the videos on the Videos and Multimedia forum. Is it me or my computer.........? Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#2 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Drawing, Smithing and IT

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:52 PM

Do you have issues viewing videos anywhere else?  Youtube, Vimeo, etc?  

What is your OS?  Windows, OSX(Apple), or Linux?

What browser are you using?  Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc?

In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

#3 Gunnershop

Gunnershop
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 01:56 PM

Can see other videos on different systems and on different computers/ tablets. Its not all of the videos, just some. i'm not sure if its a membership thing or operator error.

#4 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:02 PM

It's not a membership thing.  You are logged in, so you can watch the videos.  I don't think there is a membership requirement to watch videos are view pictures like there is on I Forge Iron.

Videos are typically done in Flash but some sites show them in HTML5 now.  You seeing them on other computers means that it your computer.  The questions above are necessary for troubleshooting.  It could be that you are having issues with Flash.  It could be your browser, etc.  The more we know, the more we can suggest.

In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

#5 Gunnershop

Gunnershop
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:06 PM

Right now I'm on an I pad mini. normally, i'm on a Dell computer with Windows 7. On both I use internet eplorer.

#6 Gunnershop

Gunnershop
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:07 PM

Correction, something called Safari on the ipad.

#7 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:16 PM

Thanks for answering Gunnershop.

Yep, Safari is on the iPad, that is Apple's built in browser.  Internet Explorer is Microsoft's built in browser for all Windows products.  

So, you can watch the videos on the iPad but not the computer, so that means it is the computer for sure.  First things first.

First, we want to make sure you are using the latest versions of the necessary software.  

Make sure that Internet Explorer is up to date.  You can find the version by clicking on "About Internet Explorer" from clicking on the blue question mark(older versions) or the little gear(newer versions).  Either icon should be up in the upper right corner.  The latest version is 11.  Windows 7 comes with Internet Explorer 8 by default, which is a totally crappy non compliant piece of sh*t.  You should update it to version 11.  You can do that here. http://windows.micro...rer/download-ie

After you have updated Internet Explorer to the latest version(if it wasnt the latest version already), you should update Flash player.  You can do that here:   http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Please uncheck the box under "Optional Offer".  They always want to install some extra software you most likely don't need.

Once all of that is done, close Internet Explorer and reopen it.  Try watching a video here, Youtube, and on Vimeo.  That should hopefully have taken care of the issue.  

If this doesnt work, let me know, and we can try something else.

Edited by Wes Detrick, 25 May 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#8 Matt Walker

Matt Walker
  • Members
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:Pattern welding

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

I often don't see the link to videos as well. Just an empty space. On iMac or iPad. Using Safari on both. Off to check Firefox.

#9 Gunnershop

Gunnershop
  • Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:20 PM

Actually, its the other way around, but not always. Right know I can't get some of them to show up on the Ipad. do I need an app of some kind?

#10 Matt Walker

Matt Walker
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:26 PM

Nothing but an empty space as well, where the I think the video or link should be in Firefox. 

#11 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

Gotcha.  

No, there is no app to download.  This is where it becomes a pain in the ass.  

So, Apple wanted to be different a few years back and stated that under no condition would they ever allow Flash player on iOS(the iPad operating system), which kind of sucks, because the VAST majority of video on the Internet is encoded in Flash.  The iPad can play videos made with HTML5, but not all sites encode their videos in both HTML5 and Flash.  The big ones like Youtube and Vimeo do.  

So the question becomes:  Can you watch Youtube videos?  If so, then it is very possible that the video posted on here might not be a Youtube video.  If it is, then Safari might be being a douche and not working properly.  Restarting your iPad may help.  To restart it, you hold the top screen shutoff button down until you get a prompt to shutdown the iPad.  Once it is shutdown, push that button again until it comes back on.  It may take a few minutes to completely reboot.

#12 Matt Walker

Matt Walker
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 02:32 PM

As an example, No video in this post for me. Never a problem with youtube. Where or what format is this video in?

Mace of Molag Bal - Jake Powning

#13 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:43 PM

It is an embedded Youtube video. Click the sentence to take you to the Youtube page for it. Does it play from the Youtube page?  It's odd that you can watch other Youtube videos but not that one.  I would suggest giving your iPad a reboot.  You may also want to go into the settings for Safari and clear the temp data.  You can do that by going to Settings -> Safari -> Clear Cookies and Data.

Matt - If you are having problems in Firefox in Windows, then I would suggest updating Flash Player (here: http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/  Make sure you uncheck that box under Optional Offers),  deleting Temp files from your computer, and then giving it a restart.  

Edited by Wes Detrick, 25 May 2014 - 04:47 PM.

#14 Matt Walker

Matt Walker
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:17 PM

Well that was cool, Wes. When I clicked your sentence/link, to Youtube immediately. Using an iMac, Safari and Firefox.

Here is a screen shot of what I see in the original post. Nothing to click on. Updated the flash player for Mac. Nothing changed in safari. I'll try it using Firefox.  Thanks!

ScreenShot2014-05-25atMay251470447PM_zps

Edited by Matt Walker, 25 May 2014 - 06:24 PM.

#15 Matt Walker

Matt Walker
  • Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:32 PM

Updated Firefox, now I see the video in the mace post! :)

Gunnershop, That might work for you too.

#16 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,736 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 12:52 PM

Excellent Matt! I am glad that updating helped.  Let me know if you need any other help.  

Gunnershop, are you still having issues?

#17 R.H.Graham

R.H.Graham
  • Members
  • 2,121 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing

Posted 28 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

I use safari on Ipad and can not see any videos on this forum, including ones I upload myself to my youtube page, which I also use safari for. I post the links and others can see it but I can't.

Very rarely i come across a flash vid online otherwise I can't play, but it is very rare. Really the one and only place I can't play video is on this forum, so far anyway.
Randal
www.rhgraham.simpl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users