• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Brown

Jason Brown
  • Members
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, leathercraft, chemistry, outdoors, hunting

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Not sure who to point this out to but I was just looking at the hall of fame nominations thread and each of the links I clicked led to a domain registry site rather than to the correct page of dfoggknives.com.  Just thought I would run it up the flagpole in case any of you guys know who to pass this info to.  

• Alan Longmire likes this

#2 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:53 PM

I think since Mr. Fogg retired he took his website down. I believe he among a few others were the founders of this website/forum many years ago.

#3 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,738 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Drawing, Smithing and IT

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

This board was created by him, so the original domain was dfoggknives.com.  Like Austin said, when he retired, he retired the his website.  At that time, the board moderators moved the board from Don's website and registered a new domain under www.bladesmithsforum.com.

It goes to a domain registration site because the dfoggknives.com domain has expired.  Any link in the board you find that has that domain in the url can be changed so that you replace the dfoggknives.com with bladesmithsforum.com

ex:  

www.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showtopic=32545

becomes 

http://www.bladesmit...showtopic=32545

• Jason Brown likes this

In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

#4 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 12,276 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

What Wes said. We have slowly been fixing the links when they get pointed out, but until we find them all do what Wes suggests.
  • Jason Brown likes this

#5 nprovos

nprovos
  • Super Administrators
  • 671 posts
  • Interests:computer and network security, blacksmithing, martial arts, and lots of reading.

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:17 PM

I "fixed" it. Try again.

#6 Dan P.

Dan P.
  • Members
  • 701 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:43 PM

I still refer to these forums as "The Don Fogg Forum"!

http://www.didbrookforge.co.uk/

#7 James Spurgeon

James Spurgeon

Relax, I'm a Professional!

• Members
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, Archery, Arms from nearly any period of history or geographic origin.

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:47 PM

It isn't just links within Bladesmthsforum, I find dfoggknives.com links at, just for example, iforgeiron.com regularly.

If Don doesn't mind, we could re-register his domain and simply build an 'invisible' redirect page to catch traffic heading to the outdated dfoggknives.com domain and reroute it to the bladesmithsforum.com domain...

I don't program well enough to build the redirect such that it preserves the sub-address they were attempting to reach when forwarding the domain, but I'd be happy to re-register the domain.

James

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Except a creature be part coward it is not a compliment to say it is brave. ~Mark Twain

SageBrush BladeWorks (New website is in limbo...)

#8 Wes Detrick

Wes Detrick
  • Members
  • 1,738 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Drawing, Smithing and IT

Posted 22 November 2015 - 09:25 PM

It isn't just links within Bladesmthsforum, I find dfoggknives.com links at, just for example, iforgeiron.com regularly.

If Don doesn't mind, we could re-register his domain and simply build an 'invisible' redirect page to catch traffic heading to the outdated dfoggknives.com domain and reroute it to the bladesmithsforum.com domain...

I don't program well enough to build the redirect such that it preserves the sub-address they were attempting to reach when forwarding the domain, but I'd be happy to re-register the domain.

James

You don't have to do all of that with the coding.  You just have to set up a c-name on the DNS servers.  And register the domain as well...

Edited by Wes Detrick, 22 November 2015 - 09:25 PM.

In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

http://www.krakenforge.net/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users