Collaborative Tanto

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Aiden CC

Aiden CC
  • Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

More than a year and a half ago I forged a small tanto blade, but for various reasons I never finished it and it wound up in the bin of misfit knives. One of my friends noticed it and expressed interest in finishing it, and that's how he got started on this project. He is familiar with woodworking and has tools for it, but not so much for metal, so he spent a day in my shop with me occasionally giving him guidance on what to do next. I'm working on a folder and a chef knife, so I had plenty to do while he was working on things.

His plan is to essentially make a shirasaya, though with an interesting wood and possibly some inlay/end caps. Today with me he fixed some problems with the blade geometry, did a rough polish up to 220 grit, made the habaki, and textured/cut the hole in a sepa. Here it all is:

thumb_IMG_2691_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2693_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2694_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2696_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_2698_1024.jpg

Thanks for looking!

• Chuck C likes this

#2 Jesus Hernandez

Jesus Hernandez
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,659 posts
  • Interests:Trying to figure it out...

Posted 10 January 2017 - 08:24 AM

Good start. I will suggest to look at original habaki to realize the thickness of the walls.

Posted Image
www.JHBLADESMITH.com
初心忘れるべからず

#3 Aiden CC

Aiden CC
  • Members
  • 198 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 10:53 AM

Good start. I will suggest to look at original habaki to realize the thickness of the walls.

Thanks, Jeusus. I let him know and he's probably going to work on it today.

Also, he finished the polish on the blade yesterday and the hamon has an interesting "cloudy" look, although it gets a little close to the edge. I guess my heat treating back a year and a half ago wasn't quite dialed in (plus I was still using coal).

image.jpeg
  • Chuck C likes this

#4 Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin (The Professor)
  • Supporting Member
  • 4,543 posts
  • Interests:Family (Wife and stepson) reading, Psychology, law, public policy (teaching people to get along, take care of one-another, and not destroy the planet in the process). Bladesmithing, Outdoors stuff of all types, esp. camping and ecology, exercise, cooking. Dogs and Cats.

Posted 13 January 2017 - 05:27 AM

You two are off and running. You could maybe reheat and quench. If you wanted to (not sure about how thick the edge is.

I have become more appreciative of tantos lately. This project looks like it will be a good one.

please visit my website http://www.professorsforge.com/

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users