Photo

My life in Bastrop,TX (not knife related)

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#41 Austin_Lyles

Austin_Lyles
  • Members
  • 824 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:52 PM

Oh I know what the 4x5 medium formats can produce. The professor I was with was also developing negatives that night and we scanned his to the computer and my god... the resolution, clarity, sharpness was much better than my dslr currently (Nikon d7000). 35mm film is not as good, but damn near close when scanned. Easily usable.

On a more sentimental note, the old exa's I have (yes I have two!) And the Pentax were passed down to me by my grandmother. They were my grandfather's who used them quite a bit when they travelled the world. The cameras have been to Russia, Japan, China, Mexico, Dominican Republic, Italy, and more places. It means a lot to me to be using them again. Hopefully regularly, along with my digital now.

Edited by Austin_Lyles, 08 December 2016 - 05:53 PM.

#42 Brian Dougherty

Brian Dougherty
  • Members
  • 891 posts
  • Interests:Just about anything that lets me work with my hands.

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:54 AM

I miss the sound of a Hassleblad medium format shutter :(

I worked my way through college in a darkroom, but really only did B&W.  When digital became prevalent, I gave my wife a point and shoot, and stopped taking pictures all together for about 8 years.  Digital is mostly better, but film had its advantages not to mention soul.  I could probably still dodge and burn better in a darkroom that I can with Photoshop.  (Only because I can't seem to figure out how to use photoshop  :rolleyes: )

-Brian

#43 Don Abbott

Don Abbott
  • Members
  • 807 posts
  • Interests:the Gospel, my wife, blacksmithing, bladesmithing, primitive archery, and F&I War reenactment

Posted 13 December 2016 - 03:04 PM

You guys are really bringing back some memories.

I started in print graphics in 1985 with a top-notch company in Knoxville, TN. We did a little printing but mostly pre-press for offset.

They had just moved from separation and screening cameras (like this):

nuARC.jpg

To digital scanners (like this):

Hellscanner.jpg

the company name was actually Hell Graphics (German)

Here's what cutting edge digital retouching looked like:

retouching-old-school.jpg

In these days Hassleblad was king and we scanned 35mm, 2 1/4, 4x5 and even 8x10 transparencies.

The color and detail was absolutely incredible. And we could do retouching work that was second to none.

Then came MacIntosh/Apple. That killed us before digital photography had the chance. Photoshop, Illustrator, Freehand, etc.

It couldn't touch us for quality, but the industry lowered its standards for the sake of cost.

That ship sailed for me in '97, but it was fun while it lasted.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users