• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JPH

JPH
  • Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hello all:

It is a sad thing that I found in my mailbox this morning...Mr Cleston Sinyard passed away recently. I have heard he was ailing (he was in his 90's) and was suffering from a very agressive form of prostate cancer and he secumbed to it.

He lived and worked in Elba, Alabama and was what he called a "Barnyard Blacksmith". The man did amazing "ahead of his time" work with forge welding stainless steels (he and I hit on the same basic method at the same time) and while we corresonded over the years we have never met in person. He was truly an amazingly skilled and talented man....A true Master of his art.

The world of bladesmithing lost one of its brightest smiths...

JPH

Why is it when the Mighty Thor throws his hammer he is dispensing Justice and fighting Evil..BUT..when I throw my hammer I wind up in a mandatory 16 week anger management course??

#2 Robert Mayo

Robert Mayo
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Fishing, Knifemaking and starting to dabble a bit in blacksmithing

Posted 26 August 2009 - 03:54 PM

He was truly one of the great old masters at blade smithing and was a great insperation to me. R.I.P Cleston our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and loved ones.

Bob

#3 Mike Ruslander

Mike Ruslander
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Handmade knives, art.

Posted 26 August 2009 - 07:45 PM

I had the pleasure of restoring one of his knives for a good friend of mine who owns it. Here is a picture. I had to clean rust off of the blade, and bring out the blade pattern. I dressed up the edges and applied rustfree to preserve the finish. It is a fine knife.
Sinyard Knife.JPG

#4 Micky Wise

Micky Wise
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

I am very sorry to hear this as well. I met Mr Sinyard several times at different events but we always talked about Alabama instead of knives.

Mr. Sinyard was one of my heros in the knife making world as were you Mr. Hrisoulas and he will be missed.

However he lived in Elberta, Al. If he lived in Elba my life would be much richer, for I live in Elba, Al.

#5 DFogg

DFogg
  • Super Administrators
  • 2,816 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:37 AM

Cleston Sinyard was a pioneer in bladesmithing and Damascus. He could stick just about anything together in his forge Nemo. Colorful, creative and giving, he will be missed.

Don Fogg

#6 zeze

zeze
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 02:55 PM

Hi at all! i remember when begin my story in the custom world in 86 he was a legend how james schmidt he give more to the custom cutlery and now remain forever....

#7 jdsmith02115

jdsmith02115
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,368 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, drawing, science,salsa dancing.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 06:15 PM

I'm sorry to hear of his passing. I conversed with him on many occasions although he was a quiet and diffident man. His Quirky and bold style captured my attention from the first. He definitely danced to his own beat as he had an absolutely inimitable style. There was no one quite like him. I miss him already.

#8 Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Fourm Board

• Supporting Member
  • 5,133 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

Who was Cleston Sinyard?
Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

#9 jdsmith02115

jdsmith02115
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,368 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, drawing, science,salsa dancing.

Posted 01 September 2009 - 04:02 PM

Who was Cleston Sinyard?

The above posts should tell you a bit about how much the man was respected and a bit about the nature of his work.
Here's a pic typical of his style. His work was bold, beefy and highly stylized. He had a style that was for me strangely attractive, likely due to it's ample personality.

Attached Images

• SINYARD.jpg

Edited by jdsmith02115, 01 September 2009 - 04:06 PM.

#10 aj singh

aj singh
  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:17 AM

Cleston is still alive btw :)

AJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users