Photo

Sakai Masaichi (Toshimasa)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Jim Kelso

Jim Kelso
  • Members
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:Nature, The Numinous, photography, finding truth in beauty and beauty in truth.

Posted 15 March 2014 - 02:37 PM

Toshimasa-Sensei (Sakai Masaichi) passed on March 10, 2014 at the age of 90. It's my understanding that for many years he was Mukansa (beyond judging) at the yearly kodogu competition in Tokyo.

I visited Toshimasa Sensei three times since 1988 and he was very generous, answering freely any questions I had concerning chokin (metal engraving, fabrication). I had an appointment to see him in 2011 but he had to cancel due to health. We received a New Year greeting in January with a photo of him and his wife in Arashiyama, Kyoto and he seemed in good health. 

He taught himself chokin after having made pistols earlier. I will miss his passion, artistry and generosity.

Here are three photos of his work. I'll try to scan some others soon. 

menuki raised by uchidashi

SakaiFrog019.jpg

ToshimasafishTsubaweb.jpg

ToshimasaTeaHouseweb.jpg

Edited by Jim Kelso, 18 March 2014 - 06:45 AM.

#2 Tim Scarlatti

Tim Scarlatti
  • Members
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:smithing, smelting, casting, reading, chemistry, hiking, backpacking, camping

Posted 15 March 2014 - 08:08 PM

WOW! just WOW! RIP. Hats off to him.

#3 Matt Todd

Matt Todd
  • Members
  • 593 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 10:05 PM

That's very sad to hear of Toshimasa's death, at least he lived a full life and left some beautiful artwork behind. Hopefully you learned something from him while he was alive.

#4 R.H.Graham

R.H.Graham
  • Members
  • 2,121 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:14 AM

Beautiful work.
Randal
www.rhgraham.simpl.com

#5 Salem Straub

Salem Straub
  • Members
  • 317 posts
  • Interests:All types of ferrous metalwork. Shop machinery, acquiring, rebuilding, and using. Tai Chi Sword, the practice and the blades. Playing music, eating good food, reading good books. Enjoying life!

Posted 16 March 2014 - 12:45 PM

Beautiful!  Much respect to the artist.  How nice that you knew him.

Please come and waste some otherwise perfectly good time, looking at my knives! www.prometheanknives.com

#6 Jim Kelso

Jim Kelso
  • Members
  • 1,716 posts
  • Interests:Nature, The Numinous, photography, finding truth in beauty and beauty in truth.

Posted 16 March 2014 - 01:18 PM

Thanks guys. Next week I'll make a tribute at my web-journal with more photos. For now here is one other tsuba:

img003PSEweb.jpg

img004PSEweb2.jpg

img002web.jpg

#7 Scott A. Roush

Scott A. Roush

Bladesmith

• Members
  • 3,063 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmith, traditional archery, living history, brewing mead and beer, wood, fencing, bird dogs

Posted 17 March 2014 - 10:12 PM

Thanks for this post Jim.  Wonderful work...

http://www.bigrockforge.com

#8 Jim Kelso

Jim Kelso
  • Members
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 08:42 PM

With his family's permission, I have made a gallery with many more photos of Toshimasa sensei's work here:

http://www.jimkelso....Memorial/album/

#9 Miles Hebbard

Miles Hebbard
  • Members
  • 2,476 posts
  • Interests:Blades of all types/sizes
    Cooking
    Music Classic Rock
    Hunting hiking
    And good beer!

Posted 20 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

Thanks Jim, a fitting tribute to a great artist! He sure produced stunningly beautifull work, the world shall be a lot poorer without him!
To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users