• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 Donnie

Donnie
  • Supporting Member
  • 142 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing and Blacksmithing

Posted 27 April 2008 - 03:07 PM

The maker that has influenced me the most is, Alan Longmire. My favorite edged objects are hawks. I have not met the gentleman in person or even had a piece of his work in my hands. But, his work does strike a cord in me. I study every one of his postings. I strive to duplicate them(usually poorly). Alan"s hawks are the benchmark I compare my work to and strive too reach. This is a knife site, and everyone who post here are great craftsmen and artist. I'm just a Hawk man myself.

#42 jdsmith02115

jdsmith02115
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,368 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, drawing, science,salsa dancing.

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:09 PM

My main influences include, but are not limited to; Don Fogg, Jimmy Fikes, C. Robin Hudson, Bill McHenry, Bill Moran, Jot Singh Khalsa and Jim Schmidt.

Reasons:Fogg;simplicity married to elegance and function
Fikes; getting the most from the forging process
Hudson; taking simple, humble materials and enriching them through solid design concept.
McHenry; folders as art and science.
Moran; intellegent self promotion
Khalsa; quintessential stylist
Schmidt; material selection and master of fit and finish.

#43 HSJackson

HSJackson
  • Supporting Member
  • 245 posts

Posted 18 November 2008 - 02:53 PM

I hadn't really thought about hand made knives until I started seeing fellow Marines carrying around Bill Bagwell fighters in the early-mid '80's. I wound up buying one myself just before Desert Shield in '90. I started reading some of the mazines and was intrigued by an article on the ABS school in Old Washington. After DS, I had a really cushy assignment at NAS Kingsville, TX with lots of spare time so I signed up and took the Intro to Bladesmithing class in 1991. The instructor was Jim Crowell, and Jerry Fisk helped out a few days too and had the class over to his house and shop. I've been impressed and moved by the works of a lot of makers since then, and some are great just to hang around and listen to at hammer-ins like Mel Pardue, Don Fogg and Dr. Batson, but something about Crowell's knives still just look "right" to me and are still some of my very favorites. I guess it's like a baby duck imprinting on the first thing it sees out of the egg, but the functional elegance of knives by Crowell, Fisk, Cook, and now Rhea and that whole Arkansas gang just does it for me.

#44 Ben Potter

Ben Potter

Full time Bladesmith

• Supporting Member
  • 1,349 posts
  • Interests:Spending time with loved ones, Celto-Norse lore, Sailing, Shroud-sticking, traditional arts and crafts, woodcraft, sustainable living, reading.

Posted 23 November 2008 - 01:15 AM

The makers that have had the biggest impact on my work have been.

David boyed: wrote the the book that got me started.
Bo Bergman: wrote the book that taught me the basics of handle and sheath construction.
Jake Powning: proved that you could make a living working in the style I loved, and continues to inspire me with his work.
Don Fogg: hosts this forum, and has given valuable advice.
David and Andy of the MAD Dwarf workshop: for encouraging me to let my beliefs shine through my work.
And all the rest of you on this forum for your advice, critique, and encouragement.

Thanks,
Ben
Ben Potter Bladesmith

It's not that I would trade my lot
Or any other man's,
Nor that I will be ashamed
Of my work torn hands-

For I have chosen the path I tread
Knowing it would be steep,
And I will take the joys thereof
And the consequences reap.

#45 Mike Ruslander

Mike Ruslander
  • Members
  • 73 posts
  • Interests:Handmade knives, art.

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:16 AM

As I said before, my mentor and best friend is Ron Frazier. Ron started making knives around 1976 and went full time around 1978. I met him in 1977 when we both worked together in the display dept. at a large dept. store. We hit it off right away and he sort of took me under his wing. His health is not very good now and for the most part he's retired, but he did it all.
Other influences are too numerous to name, but surely Don Fogg is up there. As far as the deceased requirement: Buster Warenski, hands down, for sheer talent and creativity.
I'm just a baby in diapers compared to these 3 guys.
Mike___Wildman.jpg

Edited by Mike R., 27 May 2009 - 11:18 AM.

#46 Luke_Sorensen

Luke_Sorensen
  • Members
  • 281 posts
  • Interests:knife and sword smithing, celtic and norse mythology, history, bushcraft, and archery. I am also a part time Bladesmith at hhistoric Washington State Park.

Posted 25 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

The bladesmiths that have influenced me through their books would have to be Ed fowler (the first knife book I ever read was "knife talk" By mr fowler, also Jim Hrisoulas and Don Fogg. Through personal experience Mr Jim Crowell, and Tim Potier who also are both great teachers. Also Avery Tredway who helped me make my first damascus billet. And the numerous bladesmith on this forum and also on the British Blades forum. I have to agree with David .D In authers that have influenced me being
J.R.R. Tolkien, C.S. Lewis, Brian Jaques, Chris Paolini + Douglas bond and Karen Traviss.
many other makers too numerous tolist have also influenced me.
http://luketheviking.mymiddleearth.com/

#47 Greg C.

Greg C.
  • Members
  • 264 posts
  • Interests:God, blade smithing, blade designing, blade testing, blade using, blade/sword fighting, teaching people about blades.
    Blades in general.
    Other than that, outdoors, Boy Scouts, hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, SURVIVAL, and the very fun game of LIFE. Mine, to be exact.

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:39 PM

Wayne Goddard is my main teacher, and the funny thing is I've never had the opportunity to talk to him, face to face or not. What a great writer and bladesmith.

As for influences design-wise,
All of you on this great website. I mean it. Thank you Mr. Fogg!

But especially,
Wade Hougham
Ben Potter
Jake Powning
Stormcrow, I really love his neo-tribal/post-apocalyptic style.
I'm sure I'm forgetting others, to those I apologize for not being able to give proper credit, but I do thank-you, whoever you are!

Thanks guys.
Greg

EDIT: Doh, I forgot the guys at he Mad Dwarf Workshop. These guys gave me something to live, uh, I mean, strive for ;) . As a lover of C.S. Lewis, Tolkien and Christopher Paolini, these guys really stroke my creative fire. Thanks David and Andy!

Edited by Greg C., 09 November 2010 - 06:50 PM.

Catch the wind in mainsails high,
Race the dark and stormy skies.
Land ahoy! To port we ride,
And there we drink our hearts to nigh.

#48 dave c 15012

dave c 15012
  • Members
  • 35 posts
  • Location:http://s772.photobucket.com/albums/yy8/dchaybin/?action=view&current=005.jpg
  • Interests:I've been making knives 22 years, most using my own damascus, recent surgery has limited my ability to work at my forge so I've been buying some damascus billets from another maker. Other interests are carving and woodworking As of Oct. 2012 I've been back at forging all my damascus again.

Posted 27 December 2010 - 04:17 PM

In Jan. 1992 I was lucky enough to be introduced to Mastersmith Hugh Bartrug (Ashley Forge), we only live about 8 miles apart, he invited me to his shop and I was shocked beyond belief. We quickly developed a very close friendship, I worked with him as many days as I could, soaking in as much as possible. I got to watch and learn as he completed some of his finnest pieces, that man forgot more than most makers will ever know and was as humble and kind as humanly possible. My greatest weekend of my life was when he asked me to spend the weekend with him and his close friend Dr. Jim Batson,MS working in Ashley Forge after we attended a hammer-in together. I can not express the impact this had on me!
http://www.barrenrunforge.com/ check it out, but it's not finished just yet, advice or your thoughts are wellcome.

#49 J. Helmes

J. Helmes
  • Members
  • 928 posts
  • Interests:swords, history

Posted 17 January 2011 - 11:26 PM

For Starters I learn something from almost every post I read here.

Jake Powning - It was a random encounter with his work online that first got me started blacksmithing and its been a constant source of inspiration since. He's one heck of an artist.

Patrick Barta- Man!....that guy has skills that would make Volund shiver in excitment!

Don Fogg- Like many of us here without your forum I would still be "packing" edges, making railroad spike knives, and wondering why my leaf spring knife cracked when i quenched it in water.

Peter Johnson -Perfection in a piece of sharpened steel.

Petr Florianek- A friend, and someone who can capture the spirit of an age like nothing i've ever seen before.

Adlai Stein- gave me my first advice in bladsmithing in a yahoo chat room and led me here.

Cheers to you all and Thanks! Jeff Helmes

Edited by J. Helmes, 19 January 2011 - 08:18 AM.

#50 Michael Kemp

Michael Kemp
  • Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 08:39 PM

Wayne Goddard: I got my hands on one of his books a dozen years ago and thought - "hey, I could actually /do/ this!" Then a couple of years back when I had time to rebuild the shed (a big fir fell on my 1st forging space and it was years before I gave it another shot) - - - I contacted him personally (we live 45 minutes apart) & he was as approachable and helpful and full of great tips & how-to's as his books. We have a local maker's group that meets monthly and Wayne has contributed so much. He can't seem to help himself from helping others. I learn something from him every time.

And yah - for inspiration about how awesome bladesmithing can get, the list is long and most are mentioned in above postings.

Ray Richard (off beat forge) - there is something about his knives that just grabs me. I don't know if he's mentioned above...

And the ABS teachers in Old Washington, Arkansas - if you are a newbie and can take the time & $$$ to take the ABS intro course: my advice is "do it!"

Posted Image
Michael Kemp

Old and Twitless

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users