Photo

new one

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 dan pfanenstiel

dan pfanenstiel
  • Supporting Member
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing in japanese style. Learning stone polishing. I make some western knives.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:02 PM

Here's what I've been up to lately. Been a while since I've done much of anything. The idea has been bouncing around my head for years, thought it was time to implement it. Now that this one's done, I'll push and pull some things around and get one that's really good.

yarizashi.jpg

Dan
Dan Pfanenstiel

#2 Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:22 PM

Hey Dan, How's life in Modesto? Good to see you posting once again! It sure looks good and Asian but I'm really not sure what it is. How about some dimensions?
Raymond Richard
www.hawknknives.com

#3 dan pfanenstiel

dan pfanenstiel
  • Supporting Member
  • 601 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing in japanese style. Learning stone polishing. I make some western knives.

Posted 11 November 2008 - 11:13 PM

Heya Ray, it's getting back to forging weather here. Was a hot summer.

This one is a product of my imagination. I wanted to dream up a weapon that was effective in close quarters, inside a house for example, and somewhat familiar ergonomically. I got all that by basically joining a long sword handle with a spear blade. Dunno if there's a name for it, but yarizashi came to mind.

Overall length is around 19", with 7" of sharpness (double edge), 11" tsuka.

I used this one to try stuff out. Overall it seems good to me but I can imagine an all out version with layered steel, poppin' hamon, better colored fittings, and a more standard japanese handle wrap with ray skin and menuki. Oh, and a rayskin wrapped, wood core scabbard too.

yarizashi2.jpg

Dan
Dan Pfanenstiel

#4 C.Anderson

C.Anderson
  • Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:12 AM

That's beautiful!

I can clearly picture the second version you're thinking about...only I see a small polished horn tsuba between your habaki and fuchi there. You know, something that extends perhaps 1/8" to 1/4" out past the fuchi all the way around? Definitely something with rounded edges...very smooth and unobtrusive.

Can't wait to see how you work the next one out =).

Cris

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast, fast is deadly... Erik R.

http://www.facebook.com/scorpionforge

#5 stick

stick
  • Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:22 AM

wow what a trip.. that is relly cool. I have been mulling a very similar idea around with my latest project. I like how you used the long handle...very cool.. must be something in the air.
thanks for sharing

#6 Matthew McKenzie

Matthew McKenzie
  • Supporting Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 01:03 AM

This one is a product of my imagination. I wanted to dream up a weapon that was effective in close quarters, inside a house for example, and somewhat familiar ergonomically. I got all that by basically joining a long sword handle with a spear blade. Dunno if there's a name for it, but yarizashi came to mind.

Sorta puts me in mind of the Malaysian siangham. I like "yarizashi" better, though.
MacGyver is my patron saint.

"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut." -Conan of Cimmeria-

#7 Adlai Stein

Adlai Stein
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,454 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:10 AM

Yarizashi works for me. It really put me in mind of a short Yari when I first saw it. Very cool concept.

Edited by Adlai Stein, 12 November 2008 - 07:10 AM.

Adlai
Klatu Baratta Necktie!

Macabee Knives

#8 guarnera

guarnera
  • Supporting Member
  • 627 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 10:46 AM

Here's what I've been up to lately. Been a while since I've done much of anything. The idea has been bouncing around my head for years, thought it was time to implement it. Now that this one's done, I'll push and pull some things around and get one that's really good.

yarizashi.jpg

Dan

Hey Dan,
Where ya been? I know what you mean about hot summer. I really like your Yarizashi. But the proportions look a little off. I think next time make one the same length, but half handle and half blade, both of equal length. That would be wicked. But it came from your imagination, not mine, so I guess its really just right. All kidding aside, That' :wacko: s really nice, and the hamon looks pretty nice just the way it is. Keep it up. Bravo!

Tony G :wacko:

#9 Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard
  • Members
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 11:54 AM

This is one pretty wicked tool! I think you idea for one a little larger is good. I like ray skin, my head has been covered with it for years now.
Raymond Richard
www.hawknknives.com

#10 dan pfanenstiel

dan pfanenstiel
  • Supporting Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:56 PM

Thanks all, glad to hear I havn't lost it completely.

Cris, you know I agonized over some sort of tsuba. I even made a couple to try out, but every time I took it off and re-assembled it without, it worked better. I hadn't tried a small one like you suggested, may do that.

Tony, hey man howya been? I've been checking in but not much typing. I agree on the dimensions being subjective, I'll be trying some different approaches in the future. Had to get one out of me to see if I like the concept in reality. I know the next one'll be a wider blade. This one is 1 1/4", next one maybe
1 1\2". I can also easily imagine a 3 or 4 foot handle with appropriate blade length (I prefered the jo over the bo when I was training about a million years ago). Lots of ways to go here.

Forgot to mention that this blade is made form 1065, which I don't prefer. I'll be going to W1 and layered next, I think.

Thanks all again for the kind works.

Dan
Dan Pfanenstiel

#11 neil gagnon

neil gagnon
  • Members
  • 172 posts
  • Interests:musclecars, weightlifting,bladesmithing

Posted 12 November 2008 - 07:59 PM

I like it. Beautiful
"One who is samurai must before all things" Keep constantly in mind, by day and by night. the fact that he has to die...

-Dai Doji Yuzon-
16th Century

http://sites.google....nliveblade/home

#12 Serge Panchenko

Serge Panchenko
  • Members
  • 933 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:23 AM

Great work Dan, looks like something out of an old Chinese film, really cool!

#13 Antoine

Antoine
  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:50 AM

Hi Dan,

I'm glad to see you still working on blades! I've always liked your work, very functionnal, never flashy and aways very well designed; sober and efficient.

Nice work again on this yarisashi!

ANtoine

#14 jdsmith02115

jdsmith02115
  • Super Administrators
  • 1,217 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, drawing, science,salsa dancing.

Posted 13 November 2008 - 11:52 AM

I'm trying to find some reason not to just love this thing you made, but I can't. Very cool in all of it's quirky-ness. I like it when folks come up with these strange but beautiful hybrid concepts.

#15 C.Anderson

C.Anderson
  • Members
  • 882 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 01:00 PM

Cris, you know I agonized over some sort of tsuba. I even made a couple to try out, but every time I took it off and re-assembled it without, it worked better. I hadn't tried a small one like you suggested, may do that.

Yep, just something small, almost 'aikuchi' if you know what I mean? I think it would just fill in the small void there is all. I can see how a bigger tsuba would be a poor fit...the way you have it is much nicer.

I can also easily imagine a 3 or 4 foot handle with appropriate blade length (I prefered the jo over the bo when I was training about a million years ago). Lots of ways to go here.

This...would be very cool. Maybe...Nagizashi?

=D

Cris

Slow is smooth, smooth is steady, steady is fast, fast is deadly... Erik R.

http://www.facebook.com/scorpionforge

#16 Mike Sheffield

Mike Sheffield
  • Members
  • 996 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, knives, swords, martial arts, and my family

Posted 14 November 2008 - 07:02 PM

I like I like.
My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward. I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

#17 dan pfanenstiel

dan pfanenstiel
  • Supporting Member
  • 601 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:33 AM

Was interesting, the wife and I were watching the new movie "Hellboy 2" on DVD the other night and I sat right up when the villian was practicing with something very similar to my creation. The piece was more elvish in style than japanese, but exactly in concept of useage that I had hoped for (except for the part where it extends itself out to a full on spear by some sort of magic. I can't do that). Fun to check out tho.

Ray, it took me a couple of times to get that one, then I really laughed out loud. I imagined some sort of rayskin helmet you'd forge in or something.

Cris, I think the nagizashi's gunna have to happen someday.

Dan
Dan Pfanenstiel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users