• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Calvin Robinson

Calvin Robinson
  • Members
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:turkey hunting,deer hunting,drag racing, knife making

Posted 15 March 2009 - 04:34 PM

My best friends grandfather made a living in the 50's and early 60's by pulling heart pine deadheads and pilings out of the rivers, bays and bayous around here. He had a little sawmill at his home and sawed it up into lumber to sell. He found some that he called curly pine and he saved it, I guess because it was so rare. When he died in the late 60's he left the wood to his daughter(My friends mother.). She told me about the curly pine on several diffrent occasions, she told me she had it hidden and nobody knew where it was , upon her death last summer she left it to one of her daughters in her will. The daughter that inherited the curly pine contacted me recently to have me make an oyster knife for her brother, my best friend. She brought me several pieces to choose from, I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw it! I cut some pieces from the part I liked most and made the scales for this oyster knife, the blade is D-2,50 Rc., I forget the deminsions since it's been about a month since I gave her the knife. It was probably about 8" to 8 1/2" long , I know it was 1/8" thick. I desighned the knife with a flat wide handle because he has limited use of his hands. When I called her to let her know the knife was ready I asked her if she would trade me some of that curly pine for the knife instead of money and she said she would, however, when she arrived to pick the knife up she had changed her mind. She told me that she was going to have me build some other knives for other members of her family and that she may trade some of the pine for some of those, I hope she dosent change her mind, I sure would like to have some of it. I hope y'all enjoy the pictures.
IMG_0912_2.JPG
IMG_0907.JPG
IMG_0908_2.JPG
IMG_0911_2.JPG
IMG_0909_2.JPG
IMG_0910_2.JPG
Calvin Robinson
Calvin`s Handmade Knives
Pace Florida 32571
calvinshandmadeknives@yahoo.com
850-572-1504

#2 Jared Stier

Jared Stier
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:My profession - archeology

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:22 PM

that is very beautiful
Practice random acts of Viking

#3 Ty Murch

Ty Murch
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 06:59 PM

pretty cool. nice blade.

#4 jrassett

jrassett
  • Members
  • 299 posts
  • Interests:Im a father of two and a husband of one, my spare time is spent in my smithy making knives, thats it.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

Beautiful wood, got alot of character there
J Anderson R

" Fools live to regret there words, wise men to regret there silence"- Will Henry

#5 Robert Mayo

Robert Mayo
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,804 posts
  • Interests:Hunting,Fishing, Knifemaking and starting to dabble a bit in blacksmithing

Posted 15 March 2009 - 07:57 PM

Calvin
That is a nice looking shuker and that pine looks like mokume it would shure be nice stabilized.

Bob

#6 Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin (The Professor)
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:reading, Psychology, law, public policy (teaching people to get along, take care of one-another, and not destroy the planet in the process). Bladesmithing, Outdoors stuff of all types, esp. camping and ecology, exercise, cooking. Dogs and Cats.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Calvin
That is a nice looking shuker and that pine looks like mokume it would shure be nice stabilized.

Bob

I agree. that would be worth the money and effort to stabilize, even though it is probably pretty tough.

Nice job on the knife, too.

kevin

please visit my website: www.professorsforge.com

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

#7 sandpile

sandpile

sandpile

• Supporting Member
  • 647 posts
  • Interests:knifemaking, blacksmithing, horsebacking, fishing, hunting, teaching Grandkids. Visiting with friends.

Posted 15 March 2009 - 09:53 PM

CALVIN--Thanks --I had not seen or heard of this wood.

thanks

chuck

#8 Michael Pyron

Michael Pyron
  • Supporting Member
  • 692 posts
  • Interests:I'm really into history of all ages but my favorite would have to be ancient germanic and celtic history which are usually the types of blades I like the most. I like being outdoors in general but really enjoy camping, fishing, rafting/canoeing, hiking and exploring.

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:28 AM

Wow, that is really beautiful! How'd you finish the wood if you dont mind me asking?

#9 Calvin Robinson

Calvin Robinson
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:57 PM

Calvin

Bob

Bob,
The wood has already been stabilized by nature. The piling that was pulled up and cut into this lumber was probably old growth pine, maby 300years old. It was probably cut in the late 1800's when the clear cutting of the southeast took place. No telling how long it was in the water, mabey 100 years! The heart wood of Longleaf pine is so fat that it burns like gasoline, we use it for starting fires thus the name "Lighter" wood. This stuff lasts forever it won't rot and termites won't eat it.
Calvin Robinson
Calvin`s Handmade Knives
Pace Florida 32571
850-572-1504

#10 Calvin Robinson

Calvin Robinson
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:11 PM

Wow, that is really beautiful! How'd you finish the wood if you dont mind me asking?

Michael,
All I did to finish the wood was to sand it to 400 grit and rub some Ren. wax on it.
Calvin Robinson
Calvin`s Handmade Knives
Pace Florida 32571
850-572-1504

#11 mooreknives

mooreknives
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

There is a house in Tifton, Ga, that has the wallls and floors made out of it. It is truly a site to see. If you are ever passing through Tifton Ga, its at the agriacenter, a living history village, in a house that the owner of the local saw mill had built for his family. Yes it is beautiful wood. Bill

#12 Calvin Robinson

Calvin Robinson
  • Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 06:02 PM

There is a house in Tifton, Ga, that has the wallls and floors made out of it. It is truly a site to see. If you are ever passing through Tifton Ga, its at the agriacenter, a living history village, in a house that the owner of the local saw mill had built for his family. Yes it is beautiful wood. Bill

Wow! I will have to go see that. Where is Tifton Ga.? I'll be in Atlanta in May, mabey I'll have time to go to this place and check it out.
Calvin Robinson
Calvin`s Handmade Knives
Pace Florida 32571
850-572-1504

#13 mooreknives

mooreknives
  • Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 17 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

Calvin, Tifton, Ga is about 75 miles north-northeast of tallahassee on interstate 75, the agriacenter is right off 75 in Tifton,Ga, It's a real treat to see all that beautiful wood, I do some wood working at times and drool each time I go there. I hope you get to see it sometime. Bill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users