Photo

My Latest Tomahawk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Clay Walker

Clay Walker
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, blade smithing, camping, outdoor video, flint knapping

Posted 02 April 2009 - 10:51 PM

Here is my latest tomahawk. This one came out great and I discovered what is a new antiquing method for the steel. At least new for me. I hardened the hawk in oil, triple tempered the head and then etched in white vinegar without removing the cast iron oil finish. The etch left the surface with small raised sections all over the surface. It is a finish I will be using a lot. I have a throwing hawk head etching the same way right now.

This hawk is being traded for a really nice Shoshone Indian carved war club. I will post pictures once the club is in hand. The customer wanted a golden curly maple handle, an antiqued finish, custom file work, and a spike poll on the head.

The head was made out of an old hatchet head, triple normalized, differentially hardened in canola oil, and triple tempered at 425 degrees farenheight for two hours each time.

The head is 10 1/2 inches long, with a 3 inch cutting blade. The handle is 19 1/2 inches long. The beak is sharpened on the inside of the curve at the customers request.

Attached Images

• IMG_6830.JPG
  • IMG_6833.JPG
  • IMG_6841.JPG

Clay Walker
Ragnarok Forge
When your a Bladesmith, Stupid Hurts

#2 Ty Murch

Ty Murch
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 11:41 PM

wow, darn nice job. lookin good man

#3 Matthew McKenzie

Matthew McKenzie
  • Supporting Member
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 01:49 AM

I love the finish. What manner of steel is the head?
MacGyver is my patron saint.

"There's nothing in the universe cold steel won't cut." -Conan of Cimmeria-

#4 Wade Hougham

Wade Hougham
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 April 2009 - 05:35 AM

Clay,
That is a very nice looking hawk. The handle speaks for itself. Nice work. Wade
Wade
Jos et löydä rauhaa itsestämme on turhaa etsiä sitä muualta.
If you can not find peace within yourself, it is useless to look elsewhere.
Visit my website http://www.wadesknives.com

#5 Jim P

Jim P
  • Supporting Member
  • 836 posts
  • Interests:Making knives,shooting muzzleloaders,fly fishing,hunting quail. Celtic music.

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:43 AM

The finish goes great with the wood. The file work looks good too. How long was it in the vinegar? Jim

#6 steve m

steve m
  • Members
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Blacksmithing!, making traditional archery equipment, hunting, teaching others, a good walk in the woods, Mattie the wonder dog, camping and fly fishing, reading and relaxin'

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:39 AM

Clay great job looks realy good. what brand and size axe head did you use ? Did you make the handel ? Just woundering. Love the finish.
Steve

#7 Clay Walker

Clay Walker
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, hunting, blade smithing, camping, outdoor video, flint knapping

Posted 03 April 2009 - 08:51 PM

Thanks for the comments. I am proud of how this one came out.

The steel is unknown! A SWAG based on spark testing and some online research indicated 1075 Tool Steel, I heat treated it accordingly and the file slid off after hardening just like it should so I hit it right on the first try.

The head was in clean white vinegar for 18 hours.

I pick up large batches of forged tomahawks on ebay, at flea markets, antiques stores, etc... wherever I can find them cheap! This head was a hammer poll hatchet, that was a standard size. The hammer poll gives you lots of material to work with to make the spike. I will be posting a new hawk here shortly that started as a plain hammer poll, that I will be turning into a fancy hammer poll hawk for a local traditional archer. The hatchet head was made by an hadnyman. I focus on finding forged hatchets and stay away from castings. They tend to have flaws, inclusions, etc.. that mess up the head at the most inoportune times. I am presently working on two hawks that are being forged out of a crowbar, A customer wanted to have them made form his dads old busted up crowbar for his sons as family keep sakes.
Clay Walker
Ragnarok Forge

#8 Guest_hawk_shaman_*

Guest_hawk_shaman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2009 - 04:28 PM

Beautiful work, Clay. I cannot wait to receive it. Your club is in the mail.

#9 Clay Walker

Clay Walker
  • Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 12:00 AM

Hawk Shaman,

I am glad to see you on the site, you will find it amazingly helpfull for learning and keeping you excited for the next forging project. Your hawk should be to your place by Thursday. My wife didn't realize the inside of the beak was sharpened and cut her hand while wrapping the hawk up for shipping. I am excited to see the club.
Clay Walker
Ragnarok Forge

#10 Guest_hawk_shaman_*

Guest_hawk_shaman_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Oops! Sorry to hear about the injury. Yeah, I am really excited to get the hawk. And I almost have my set-up completed, so I am looking forward to learning to forge stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users