Photo

FORGING JAPANESE STYLE BLADES

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Sorrells

Walter Sorrells
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Interests:Guitar playing, martial arts, shooting -- well, I like pretty much anything that's pointy, on fire, or exploding.

Posted 24 April 2009 - 07:58 PM

I recently completed production on a DVD about how to forge Japanese style blades. The video shows how to forge functional swords in the Japanese tradition.

The video contains information about:
* Traditional Japanese sword geometry and terminology
* Forging techniques
* Grinding techniques
* Heat treating differentially hardened blades
* Clay Hardening/Hamons
* Tools and Materials including choosing the right steel
* Sources of Supplies

The video is intended to be useful for novices as well as experienced smiths. In the video I make three blades -- a tanto, a wakizashi and a shinogi-zukuri katana. My basic approach is to start with the simplest projects using the most basic tools (the first project requires only a file, a hacksaw and sandpaper), then working up to more technically demanding projects using more expensive and complex tools. That way, no matter what your experience or how much equipment you've got, there's plenty here for you. Particular emphasis is put on the little details that characterize traditional Japanese sword geometry.

The basic idea with all my videos is that I'm trying to convey all the stuff that I wish I could have found in one place back when I was learning to make blades!

I should note that I call this DVD "How to Forge Japanese Style Blades" because I don't want to give you the false idea that I'm attempting to recreate traditional Nihonto here. While I do make blades from folded steel that I smelt myself (tamahagane), I thought that was a bit much too bite off for one video. This video just focuses on forging monosteel blades.

For those of you who've bought any of my videos in the past, I've tried to step up the production quality on each video. We've all seen instructional videos where somebody basically set up a camera in the back of a noisy, dark shop and rolled tape. Nothing wrong with that...but I tried to do better. As a result this one took me about a year to script, shoot and edit. It's shot entirely in Hi-Def so you'll be able to see every detail on that honking big widescreen TV you just bought. I literally shot five to ten hours of footage for every hour that shows up on the video, with probably around a thousand individual shots taken, including super-close-up and multiple angle shots so that you can really see what I'm doing.

Length: roughly 3 hours

Price: $69 + shipping ($5 in North America or $10 international)

If anybody is interested in more details, just shoot me an email or check my site. I've also got DVDs available on other aspects of making Japanese blades -- including polishing, mounting and a special one that focuses on hamons. Search Don's forum or check my site for more info.

Walter Sorrells
www.waltersorrellsblades.com
walter@waltersorrells.com

Attached Images

• forging_video_cover_small.jpg

Edited by Walter Sorrells, 03 December 2010 - 10:06 PM.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades
Making Hamons
Japanese Sword Mounting
Polishing
Making Japanese Sword Fittings

#2 Art Lawrence

Art Lawrence
  • Supporting Member
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

Check your PayPal account, I'm there. This will round out my Walter Sorrels Collection. Just in the nick-of-time, I fell ill today and will be spending time on the couch, dang flu.
"My sword and my shield are at your command"

#3 john marcus

john marcus
  • Supporting Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

on order !!!!!!!!!
infinite edge cutlery

#4 wannabeswordsmith

wannabeswordsmith
  • Supporting Member
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing<br />Football and other sports<br />Drawing and Sketching<br />My family<br />Banging the heck out of metal.

Posted 30 April 2009 - 02:32 PM

Ordered!!!... (can't freakin wait). I want to see where I am beatin myself up and doing it the wrong kinda way.. ha.

I'll meet you around Talladega if you will meet me halfway with it.
Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

#5 Dan Seaver

Dan Seaver
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Interests:Making Damascus, tamahagane, and knives.

Posted 02 May 2009 - 08:47 AM

I'm buying one as soon as I can spare $75!

#6 Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Fourm Board

• Super Administrators
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 10:21 AM

I'm buying one as soon as I can spare $75!

DITTO B)
Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

#7 john marcus

john marcus
  • Supporting Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

DITTO B)

great dvd set...........covers the complete sword blade making process in three different examples and a solid review of basic info as well.
infinite edge cutlery

#8 wannabeswordsmith

wannabeswordsmith
  • Supporting Member
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing<br />Football and other sports<br />Drawing and Sketching<br />My family<br />Banging the heck out of metal.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:39 AM

This video is packed with information, anyone needing/wanting to know more, it has great tips. If you are a novice or interested in making blades of any sort, it would be a wise investment. Walter has all kinds of tricks and tips that add up to alot of knowledge needed. From novice to intermediate to experienced smiths could use this video. It is top notch and doesn't leave much to wonder about.

Buy it!

#9 john marcus

john marcus
  • Supporting Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 12:28 PM

great set of dvd's lots of info and well presented .......go for it !!
infinite edge cutlery

#10 Douglas W.

Douglas W.
  • Members
  • 63 posts
  • Interests:Pre 74 Mopar cars. Generally anything Sharp and pointy.
    Japanese Culture.
    Furry four legged animals.

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

Great videos.
Watched once for a general idea of things.
Then watched again to take notes on key points.
The videos are a god send for people like me.
Things are explained in simple terms and I have always learned a lot more from visual instruction or hands on then reading.
Seeing a technique for me is a thousand times better then reading about a technique.
If a picture is worth a thousand words...well you can imagine what a 3 hour video is worth.

#11 Jerry Fisher

Jerry Fisher
  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

Im going to get an order in on these shortly. I notice the first project is with very basic tools. I dont use a power hammer and wonder if there is any information using hand hammer techinques or is the rest mainly geared toward the power hammer.

Thanks
Jerry Fisher

#12 wannabeswordsmith

wannabeswordsmith
  • Supporting Member
  • 214 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 08:58 PM

Im going to get an order in on these shortly. I notice the first project is with very basic tools. I dont use a power hammer and wonder if there is any information using hand hammer techinques or is the rest mainly geared toward the power hammer.

Thanks
Jerry Fisher

The entire video is geared to the anvil and hammer, it has briefly a part of using a press to get down to where you need to be with a sonobe' (preform) with a hunk fo steel, but basically it is all arm and hammer. Walter always does a great job with explaining and making you feel like he is talking to you on his video's, sort of "japanese sword" for dummies like those books you buy in the book stores on what ever topics you want to learn about.

#13 Jerry Fisher

Jerry Fisher
  • Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 May 2009 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like just what I'm looking for, thanks for the feedback.

Jerry

#14 J.Browne

J.Browne
  • Supporting Member
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, Motor bikes, and stuff...

Posted 13 May 2009 - 12:45 AM

I can now see why there was a slight delay getting this DVD out. The amount of time, effort and information that was packed into this , and the rest of the series, is outstanding and very much appreciated Walter. It basically answers nearly every single question that I could have about your process. And for me is one of the most valuable learning tools available to those interested in Japanese styled blades short of actually taking lessons, this is the cheaper option for us on the other side of the world.

Bravo Sir !

#15 Donald Babcock

Donald Babcock
  • Supporting Member
  • 163 posts
  • Interests:blacksmithing, bladesmithing, Japanese Swords, Mixed Martial Arts, computer gaming

Posted 22 May 2009 - 01:05 PM

It is finally finished?!?! Oh happy day. I'll be placing my order come pay day. Do we order the dvd from your website? Please let me know how you handle this.

#16 Walter Sorrells

Walter Sorrells
  • Members
  • 657 posts
  • Interests:Guitar playing, martial arts, shooting -- well, I like pretty much anything that's pointy, on fire, or exploding.

Posted 25 May 2009 - 11:45 PM

It is finally finished?!?! Oh happy day. I'll be placing my order come pay day. Do we order the dvd from your website? Please let me know how you handle this.

Yeah, you can just go to the website www.waltersorrellsblades.com, click on the button and pay with Paypal or plastic. Thanks!

Edited by Walter Sorrells, 14 February 2011 - 09:19 PM.

Making Hamons
Japanese Sword Mounting
Polishing

#17 Walter Sorrells

Walter Sorrells
  • Members
  • 657 posts

Posted 03 December 2010 - 10:08 PM

Just a little update. On my new website waltersorrellsblades.com, there are now video excerpts of several of my videos so you can get a flavor of whether they're the sort of thing you're looking for or not. You can also find them on Youtube by searching for my name...

Making Hamons
Japanese Sword Mounting
Polishing

#18 Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin (The Professor)
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:reading, Psychology, law, public policy (teaching people to get along, take care of one-another, and not destroy the planet in the process). Bladesmithing, Outdoors stuff of all types, esp. camping and ecology, exercise, cooking. Dogs and Cats.

Posted 04 December 2010 - 10:33 PM

I have to say:
I have never met Walter, and don't even know him except for a brief email or two.

I don't specialize in Japanese blades, either.

HOWEVER, I have been able to improve my basic forging and extend a lot of information from the videos that I have bought. Since I am making Eurasian and Chinese stuff (which is honestly a whole lot like Japanese blades) this set of vids has been great.

They won't teach you damascus, they won't teach you double-edged weapons... but they are an outstanding resource for beginning and intermediate level smiths. Even the things you know how to do, it is worth the time and money to see how someone else accomplishes the same tasks. And, he comes as close as I think someone could in putting the whole process out there end to end.

The ones I have bought have definitely paid for themselves by improving what I am making and increasing my enjoyment in the process.

kc

please visit my website: www.professorsforge.com

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users