Photo

Cord Wrapped Handle

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Brian Vanspeybroeck

Brian Vanspeybroeck
  • Members
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Electronics technician by trade, I make knives and swords, train and teach Japanese swordsmanship. I'm a dog lover and enjoy flight simulators as well.

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:05 PM

The best basic primer on the 'net is this one by Thomas Buck:

http://pages.prodigy...tsuka/tsuka.htm

There are a lot of things to be tried and a lot of different styles of wrapping but this will either kick start you on experimenting or completely discourage you.  :laugh:

It really is not as tough as it looks but it does take a lot of practice to get it right....unless you have access to an experienced teacher.

There is a decent video tape available from Token Konno:

http://www.tokenkonnoart.com/sword.htm

Scroll down to the video on tsukamaki. It is not a great tape but gives a good idea of some basic moves and tools. For $25 it is a bargain, what with silk tsukaito (wrapping cord) going for $3 a foot and about 13' needed for a handle....if it saves you from screwing up one length of ito it has paid for itself.

Good luck!

Brian

"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

"The innovator is not an opponent of the old. He is a proponent of the new."
- Lyle E. Schaller

http://home.mchsi.co..._Edged_Art.html

#2 TDB

TDB
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 11:08 PM

I found this link a few minutes ago...!!!
Running Dog How to cord wrap
But I was looking for something with the diamond knot (if that is what it is called) [dunno]

#3 Guy Thomas

Guy Thomas
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,272 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing and all things related!

Posted 10 January 2004 - 10:03 PM

How about stripping the core out of the paracord so that you have a hollow tube that lays flat? Does that work also?
Guy Thomas

#4 Brian Vanspeybroeck

Brian Vanspeybroeck
  • Members
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Electronics technician by trade, I make knives and swords, train and teach Japanese swordsmanship. I'm a dog lover and enjoy flight simulators as well.

Posted 11 January 2004 - 10:43 AM

Cool stuff, Don. Is that wrap sealed as well with epoxy?

Guy, pulling the insides out of paracord works really well. The tube that remains is very durable and flattens out very nicely as well. The only problem (for me) is that it is a little narrow to be used in single cords and a little too wide if doubled up. I prefer to use it with the stuffin' still in it.....I'll try to shoot a quick pix yet today and get it up.

Brian

- Lyle E. Schaller

#5 Phillip Jones

Phillip Jones
  • Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:13 PM

Hey, It worked!

The end knot is not as difficult as it would seem. The difficult part about this wrap is getting the diamonds even and properly aligned. It just takes practise and patience.

#6 TDB

TDB
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 10:59 AM

Ask and you shall recieve.......!!!!
Woooooo Hoooooo.......!!!!
Thanks for all the  info.
Guess I'll be sitting  on my best side and and give it all a shot tonight.
A soon as the kids are asleep I can sneak the laces out of  their shoes....they will never know..!! :laugh:

#7 TDB

TDB
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 January 2004 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the tip on the shoelace. (Pun Intended)
my son is already missing one.....now where did I put it :laugh:

#8 Brian Vanspeybroeck

Brian Vanspeybroeck
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 07:13 PM

I like the knots myself and can't really speak for the way Don does it...I'm curious as well.

One way I terminate the wrap without a knot is to place thinnner strings under the wrap as I'm doing it and then, when I get to the end, I super glue the thin strings onto the ends of the wrapping cord and drag it back under the wrapping above and below the diamond shaped openings.

Another way is to simply overlap the ends of the wrapping cord and then saturate the combined ends with super glue or epoxy....this works well if the entire assy. is going to be soaked in epoxy and fused together.

I like the knots. And with flat silk or cotton ito the knots will not really stick out much past the average level of the wrap anyway.

Am I making sense?  [dunno]  [wtf]  :laugh:

Brian

- Lyle E. Schaller

#9 TDB

TDB
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 09:49 PM

Anyone have any insight or tutorials on Japanese Cord wrapping knife handles...???[dunno]

Looks a lot more complicated then any macramé knot I ever made..!! :D

#10 TDB

TDB
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 January 2004 - 10:39 PM

Thanks Brian...!!
Good info.
Looks like some real sit down time with this one.
I assume it would be the same technique even if I were using parachute cord instead of the silk...???
Or is that completely different....??? [dunno]

#11 Brian Vanspeybroeck

Brian Vanspeybroeck
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 08:22 PM

Well, there are a lot of purist's that will *lyNcH* you for referring to "Japanese cord wrapping" and "parachute cord" in the same sentence.  :;):

So, what you are talking about is a Japanese style wrap with paracord where the overlaps form the more traditional diamond shaped pattern, right? I have done traditional style wraps with hishigame (paper forms) and I have done various styles of paracord wraps. It's all good. Unfortunately there does not seem to be much on the 'net about "alternative" style wraps with paracord.

If you go here: http://home.planet.n...tures_9-12.html  and look at the second example down (hiramaki) you will see a perfect candidate for a wrap using paracord. It is very simple and actually really durable when done with two lengths of paracord side by side. A simple overlap of the cords will naturally form the open diamond shapes you are familiar with.

I have tutorials planned for wraps just like your asking for but they are unfortunately years away.  :(

There are psudo Japanese style wraps as well that utilize paracord very nicely. But they don't show the diamond pattern quite like you want. This is a Howard Clark blade in a paracord wrap....it was changed to black ultimately.

Posted Image

I would suggest black paracord for one like this though. The pink really gets some rather strange and vicious comments.  :cool:

Brian

- Lyle E. Schaller

#12 DFogg

DFogg
  • Super Administrators
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 07:14 AM

You need flat lacing to get the diamond look. I use shoe lacing that I bought bulk from a company

Mitchel Lace
PO Box 89
Portsmouth, OH  45662-0089

1-800-848-8696

They got sick of dealing with knifemakers and the last time I called had a 3500 yd. minimum. Pennies a yard, but still that's a lot of lacing.

I will try to do a photo tutorial on how I tie up these handles.

Don Fogg

#13 Brian Vanspeybroeck

Brian Vanspeybroeck
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 11:07 AM

OK, here is a super secret pix of my micro articulating "yacho" style mount on a rather interesting (in a "work in progress" kind of way) non traditional katana. Don't tell anybody. :;):

Posted Image

This is just a shot I did a few weeks ago of a mock up but it shows the paracord wrap over dyed same'.....the handle will actually be "built up" a bit more so that the wrap comes up level with the outside of the fittings. For that I will use another super secret material, irradiated polyolefin.

I shot the pix for test purposes as I am attempting to get a semi traditional look to a very untraditional design. It's not the finished product so please hold any negative comments  about it until I'm ready for them. Please. I'm a little under the gun and stressed right now and my artist side simply can't take any negative comments.  :(

My intent is to show that you can develop a style of parawrap that is semitraditional without using the familiar tape or flat cord, which I also adore and recommend using as well.

It's all good.  :laugh:

Brian

- Lyle E. Schaller

#14 Phillip Jones

Phillip Jones
  • Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 02:09 PM

I scanned this in from an old "Knives Illustrated" article that Scott Slobodian wrote over ten years ago.

Hope the pic doesn't compress badly enough so that you can't tell what's going on.

#15 Brian Vanspeybroeck

Brian Vanspeybroeck
  • Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 03:44 PM

Whoo Hoo! Good work, Phillip. And you are absolutely correct....it isn't  brain surgery. It just takes an abnormal amount of concentration and practice.

After 20 or 30 of them it'll be duck soup.  [ylsuper]

Pictures, Dude. We need pictures. Worth a thousand words, don't 'cha know.

Brian

- Lyle E. Schaller

#16 Phillip Jones

Phillip Jones
  • Members
  • 584 posts

Posted 14 January 2004 - 02:58 PM

Hey TDB,

A 72 inch flat shoelace works well on small tanto handles. The taped tip ends also help in lacing it through when tying the tight knot at the end of the wrap.
Some people glue the cord down as they tie. I would not suggest this when first starting out as you may want to go back and re-tie it if not satisfied. Use a set of spring clamps to hold the cord in place to free up both hands for wrapping.

#17 PropellerHead

PropellerHead
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2004 - 11:00 AM

Gentlemen,

This thread is very timely for me, as I'm just wrapping up (pun intended) my first Japanese style knife.  Since this is supposed to be a neck knife, I've opted to go with the non-twisted overlap that Brian suggested.

My question is, what is the best way to terminate the wrap on a handle that should be as thin as possible?  I'm trying the knot that is shown in the diagram on the first page of this thread, but it adds significant thickness to the handle.  I noticed that the knife that Don posted did not have a large knot at the end of the handle.  Any tips on doing something like that?

Thanks in advance!

- Mike  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users