DIY Electric Kiln questions

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 taxcollector

taxcollector
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 11:01 PM

After reading multiple posts here and else where, I'm wrapping up the final plans for my electric Kiln. However, I have some details that I'm still working out, so I hope you don't mind some questions.

My plan is for a sideloader which consequently will have bricks on the top. The box will be welded angle steel with steel siding. I need to attach the bricks to the underside of the steel top. How/or can I glue the firebricks to a horizontal steel surface? Basically, under the top. Is there a special 'thermal' glue? or, will the DAP mortar work?

I'm going to attach the heat coil to two SS bolts inside the oven that will exit out the side of the box where I will attach the relay wires. I'd like to use a thermal type board (millboard?) to attach these bolts to for structural integrity and electrical isolation purposes. Where can I order a small piece of thermal board? Any ideas for a substitute? Maybe a tile?

Thank you for your help

Mike

#2 charred

charred
  • Members
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:I'm particularly interested in anything that involves fire.

Posted 23 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

All the kilns I've been around and used that were of IFB the tops were held together under compression and in one case the the bricks were actually drilled and bolted together. I dont know what DAP is, I'm sure you could get them to adher using most anything but for long term durability I wouldnt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users