Photo

Induction Forge from OCP Tool Co.

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 Craig Hashimoto

Craig Hashimoto
  • Supporting Member
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:General Blacksmithing, Tool Making, Knife Making, Fishing, Hunting, Outdoors, Geo-Political-Financial topics, Family, Good Friends and Laughter

Posted 01 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

I've been looking at this and marveling at it since 2007 when I first saw it in the Kayne and Son catalog...

Grant Sarver has been just outstandingly patient and generous with his time and advice about the unit and I finally pulled the trigger on it ....

Thanks Grant!... you're the absolute best!!!

It's not set up yet... life get's busy for a single dad and work doesn't help :lol:

But I've been talking with a number of knifemakers who seem interested and so i thought I would share this "experience" and tool with anyone who might be interested...

I'll take pictures as I go along from start to finish.... sorry if it takes a while... my time is somewhat limited,..... sheesh this landed about of month ago and I still haven't got it set up :wacko:

Attached Images

• Induction_Forge_1.JPG

#2 john marcus

john marcus
  • Supporting Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

very interested to see how it works out.........gl
infinite edge cutlery

#3 Craig Hashimoto

Craig Hashimoto
  • Supporting Member
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:General Blacksmithing, Tool Making, Knife Making, Fishing, Hunting, Outdoors, Geo-Political-Financial topics, Family, Good Friends and Laughter

Posted 01 August 2009 - 05:54 PM

Here's the pics on the packing...
Grant does a great job and double packs the unit.... :lol:
Took pics of the front and back... connections and the foot switch, hardware and 3 different size coils that come with the unit... the flexible wand is extra and allows you to move the coil to the piece to be heated... rather than take the piece to the unit...
There's also a couple manuals that come with the unit as well... :rolleyes:
More later of the separate cooling unit... Basically a Dynaflux Tig cooler... :lol:
Enjoy...
More later.... I'll take some video and post on youtube when its running... :wacko:

Attached Images

• IF_2.JPG
  • IF_3.JPG
  • IF_4.JPG
  • IF_5.JPG
  • IF_6.JPG
  • IF_7.JPG
  • IF_8.JPG
  • IF_9.JPG

#4 Jim P

Jim P
  • Supporting Member
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Making knives,shooting muzzleloaders,fly fishing,hunting quail. Celtic music.

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:07 PM

That's an interesting machine, we have one at work and a couple of us were talking about heating steel with it. We use it to normalize hardened shaft. Tell us how it works when you get to use it.

#5 Craig Hashimoto

Craig Hashimoto
  • Supporting Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

That's an interesting machine, we have one at work and a couple of us were talking about heating steel with it. We use it to normalize hardened shaft. Tell us how it works when you get to use it.

I don't have any videos up on this one yet... but here is one of the unit in action...

check out youtube and type in "induction forge".... lots of interesting vids come up... :lol:

#6 Don Hanson

Don Hanson
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,428 posts
  • Interests:Fishin, Forgin and Shootin

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:30 PM

That's cool Craig! You got me interested for sure. Looking forward to more.

Thanks,
Don Hanson lll My Webpage

#7 nakedanvil

nakedanvil
  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Toolmaking, reading, toolmaking, blacksmithing, toolmaking, wooden boats, toolmaking, sex, toolmaking, computers, oh yeah.....and toolmaking

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Well, I DO love the attention, for sure. Here's a quick pic of what gets some knife makers excited.

Grant Sarver, OCP Tool Co
"We've upped our quality, now up yours"!

Attached Images

• Scan0005.jpg

Edited by nakedanvil, 01 August 2009 - 07:21 PM.

Perfection

is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

#8 Don Hanson

Don Hanson
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 07:42 PM

Yeah, that'll do it for me :)

#9 nakedanvil

nakedanvil
  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Toolmaking, reading, toolmaking, blacksmithing, toolmaking, wooden boats, toolmaking, sex, toolmaking, computers, oh yeah.....and toolmaking

Posted 01 August 2009 - 08:40 PM

Gee Don, what the heck, you got that Little Giant on stilts? Actually, thats where I like hammers for small work. 38-40" to the die. I hate bending over----------for anyone! Nice looking work you're doing, thanks for the link!

Grant
Perfection

is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

#10 Chuck C

Chuck C
  • Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 09:19 PM

totaly sweet i want one
Chuck c

#11 Craig Hashimoto

Craig Hashimoto
  • Supporting Member
  • 195 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 10:57 PM

Well I needed a left hand thread 3/8 flare fitting to hook up the Dynaflux cooler and no one on this side of island has one... so this is going to have to wait till I can go to the Gaspro or Air Liquide next week on my lunch break.... :rolleyes:

But here's some pics of the Dynaflux cooler if anyone is interested....

I love that "Made in the USA" ! :lol:

Attached Images

• IF_13.JPG
  • IF_11.JPG

#12 Greg Thomas Obach

Greg Thomas Obach
  • Members
  • 3,473 posts
  • Interests:steel forgings, melting steel and iron

Posted 01 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

Jeeeeeez... I've seen the vid's on youtube and wanted one for awhile.. ... I thought there were some russian ones for sale sometime back... ..

just out of curiousity... how much run time do you get out of them? do they last years or... do they burn out or need parts..
-- oh.. and are there any harmful emissions..

sorry to be so blunt and uninformed about it... i just don't know anyone with that kinda device

its been getting kinda costly up here for propane at abit more than a buck a pound....

please keep us in the loop bout it... very neat technology

Greg

#13 nakedanvil

nakedanvil
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:05 AM

Greg: All good questions. No harmful emissions that are documented, the technology has only been around for a little less than 100 years, so all the data is not in yet. There is a warning for people with pace makers, but they do that on commercial microwaves too. I have more than 75 machines in service, some going back five years, some in full-time industrial settings. I have had (knock on wood) exactly ZERO failures to date. My warranty is 1 year parts and service/5 year parts. I am Off Center Products and my reputation is well known in blacksmithing circles. I have had three maybe four machines that arrived with defects that we caught before we shipped. we open, inspect, make a few electrical upgrades and test every machine. These machines are manufactured in Chine by a reputable company.

Current price is $2995.00 + $100.00 shipping in US. Last price I had from U.S. made Lepel was $45,000.00 for a similar size machine. I Have 24/7 tech support and free technical service and help with coil design and hand holding during installation (just ask Craig).

Machine is only drawing power when heating parts. My current energy cost in my shop is 10% of what it was when I was using gas. AND I can work comfortably in hot weather! With the machine right next to me, no walking back and forth to the forge.

Grant Sarver nakedanvil@gmail.com

Edited by nakedanvil, 02 August 2009 - 12:07 AM.

Perfection

#14 John N

John N
  • Supporting Member
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 03:46 AM

Very cool machine Grant. I was toying with the idea of selling these bad boys in the UK, but got a bit twitchy about CE regs, and being able to supply tech support (electrics aint my thing!).

As a very part timer my fuel costs are pretty irrelevant, and I like the 'fire' from gas or solid fuel, If i was spending much more time at the anvil I think one of these would be a must.

Just out of interest how do they work for heating a stacked billet to welding heat for patternwelding? does the fact it might be 10 flat plates ontop of each other 'upset' the currents in anyway (you can see my lack of the correct lingo here! :)

#15 Don Hanson

Don Hanson
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

These machines are manufactured in Chine by a reputable company.

This is usually always a deal breaker for me. But no way would I spend $45,000 on a forge either.
So, I'm still considering one of these for my shop.

Grant, my 100lber is only 6" off the floor but it does make it easier on the back.
Thanks for the good words! Oh, and I have a bunch of your tongs :)

#16 Nick Wheeler

Nick Wheeler
  • Members
  • 288 posts
  • Interests:all that bladesmithing entails, bodybuilding, family, outdoors.

Posted 02 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

Tom Ferry was showing me his a few years ago, and to say it's impressive is an understatement.

He put a piece of 3/4" square stock (~12" long) in a coil and held it on the ends with his bare hands. It was almost instantly white hot and he twisted it in half... still with his bare hands. Crazy stuff!

#17 Don Hanson

Don Hanson
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 11:36 AM

How well does it work with 2" to 3" stock?

Also, what the largest size coil, length and inside diameter that it'll run?

Edited by Don Hanson, 02 August 2009 - 11:36 AM.

#18 nakedanvil

nakedanvil
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:14 PM

Don: I'm the same way, I buy domestic when I can and import when I have to. But often it's not a choice between U.S. and foreign, it's foreign or do without. These guys are making a good product at a price we can afford, and the machine is reliable.

1-1/2 is probably the upper limit for the power of this machine. For large billets you'll want to keep that gasser around.

I run coils as long as 10 inches in production, but for small numbers of parts it's simpler to just "scan" the part through the short coils to get a longer heat.

It's all about controlled heat. Who say you gotta heat it and then beat it?:

Attached Images

• Scan0001.jpg

Edited by nakedanvil, 02 August 2009 - 04:17 PM.

Perfection

#19 john marcus

john marcus
  • Supporting Member
  • 644 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 12:47 PM

i am loving it !!!!!!!
infinite edge cutlery

#20 nakedanvil

nakedanvil
  • Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 02 August 2009 - 08:38 PM

Maybe Tom Ferry will chime in here, but yeah, his machine is still going strong and that was one of my first. Tom claims that he get two points higher Rockwell, consistently, and the finest satin grain he's ever seen by using the induction forge.

You guys seen Mark Aspery's youtube video:

Perfection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users