• Interests:Rock Climbing
    Backpacking
    Wandering around
    Bladesmithing
    Geomorphology
    Writing

Posted 29 January 2010 - 05:38 PM

Hello,

I am looking at selling some knives in the near future, due to an increase in production capacity and the need for a better job. Anyway, I was looking around for places to sell my knives and came across this website, Arizona Custom Knives (http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/). I looked through their site and I have concluded that they seem to be very good at selling custom knives, based on the number of sales they have and the popularity of their site.

However, I was looking through their list of artists and the sort of work they were selling and I noticed that they seemed to be selling a ton of knives from really experienced and very good bladesmiths, many of which I recognized from the forum (e.g. Serge Panchenko, Don Fogg, etc.).

I'm curious: as an inexperienced bladesmith, would Arizona Custom Knives, or a similar consignment type of website, be a good place for me to start off?

Any thoughts or suggestions on this are welcome!

Thanks!

-Dan

#2 Aaron Banger

Aaron Banger
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:15 PM

Hello,

I am looking at selling some knives in the near future, due to an increase in production capacity and the need for a better job. Anyway, I was looking around for places to sell my knives and came across this website, Arizona Custom Knives (http://www.arizonacustomknives.com/). I looked through their site and I have concluded that they seem to be very good at selling custom knives, based on the number of sales they have and the popularity of their site.

However, I was looking through their list of artists and the sort of work they were selling and I noticed that they seemed to be selling a ton of knives from really experienced and very good bladesmiths, many of which I recognized from the forum (e.g. Serge Panchenko, Don Fogg, etc.).

I'm curious: as an inexperienced bladesmith, would Arizona Custom Knives, or a similar consignment type of website, be a good place for me to start off?

Any thoughts or suggestions on this are welcome!

Thanks!

-Dan

Well, you need to consider a couple of things.
1:I am fairly certain that Arizona Custom Knives charges 25% or something there-about. That is decent amount, especially if your knives are not priced that high.
2:You also might consider attempting to make a name for yourself by posting some of your best work on knife collector boards, such as knifenetwork.com in the classifieds section.
3:Lastly, just because there are other knives that are made by the "masters" does not mean yours won't sell. Sometimes, a buyer is looking for a knife that will "work" for them, yet it won't cost as much as other knives.

But unless you make a name for yourself, you likely won't be able to sell knives as your full-time job. :)

-Aaron

#3 Dee

Dee
  • Members
  • 877 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

there are many places that will let you sell your work ..
for me, i like to look into them a whole lot before i sign on the dotted line, as it were.

i dont think you should feel your work doesnt have a place ..
there are lots of reasons as to why someone buys a knife .. and this can include work uses .. as well as future investment ... or just styles and tastes ..
sometimes someone will have a budget .. sometimes they just like the flow or style of your particular blade .. etc etc ...
there isnt really a science to it.

the main drawback is that a lot of those sites tend to have fees associated with them.
if its a big chunk, you might have to charge more in order to cover the costs associated with them ..
that depends on your own need for profits etc.

you can look at knife dealers and other purveyors too ... some of them can be really great at selling your work... but again, i dont know of any of them that will do it for free.

i have a bit of a history with dealers and purveyors and choose not to use them.
but its a personal thing i guess... for each maker to figure in their own right.

its all a matter of getting your work to the person who its meant for.
when you are starting out it can be good to try as many options as possible.
put your work up on as many sites as possible and see which works best for you and your style and then make a choice.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users