Randall Forge

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SJC

SJC
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 June 2004 - 12:52 PM

Now that I have mine, I'm okay with letting folks know that Randall makes really cool forges. I got it home last week and fired it up the following morning. I was working on a small hammer and a form to use for making bowperches. I had the gas valve at half open and it was plenty to heat the old Model A axle up to forging temp. I had it in the garage but it is getting too warm for that. Come cooler weather I'll move it back into the garage and it should heat it just fine.
I got the small one-burner forge and had it modified to do hawks and hammers as well as knives. It is a little larger and has larger openings. Randall added two small shelves to set firebrick on to close up the openings for blade work.
I'm in the middle of a seven day stretch of twelves at work so it will be Thursday before I can get back to finishing the hammer and starting on a hawk and a small blade. Can't wait!
If you're looking for a gas forge then Randall's forges deserve a look. A friend has a two-burner model and I have the large single-burner model. We both like them a lot. I like the idea of being able to fire up the forge when I only have a little time to work. I'm sure that i'm going to get a lot of use out of this forge. Thanks Randall!!   Steve

#2 wardn1

wardn1
  • Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 June 2004 - 12:28 PM

I'll second that!  The forge I got from Randal works fantastic.  It's one of the best tools I've ever bought.

Steve, I'm glad you've been getting a chance to try out the new forge.  I can't wait to see what you've been working on.

Ward Nelson

#3 Kristopher Skelton

Kristopher Skelton
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:fire, metal, beer, meat, lifting heavy things...

Posted 16 June 2004 - 01:01 PM

Let's get the basics :)
how much?  how do we order? Venturi or forced air?  Propane or Natural gas? Do you have any pics?

Thanks guys!  Alway good to know what the available options are.
Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"
A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

#4 SJC

SJC
  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 09:48 PM

Ward, How ya been? Working on anything special? I've been making somer tools so that I can fabricate a bow perch or two for the local Falconers' club. I just got a pair of V-tongs to make the hammer making process a little safer. I have to do the final shaping and then punch the eye and do the heat-treat. I'll let you know how it goes.
eb, My forge is a single burner with firebrick floor. It has rectangular doors but can be had with triangular shaped doors for blade work. I wanted to make some hawks so Randall made the forge a little bigger and the openings larger too. Mine runs on Propane but I'm sure you can get one for natural gas. It doesn't need a blower so you can set it up anywhere. I'll try to post some dimensions (I think mine was made from 8" pipe about 12" long with a single burner.).  If you want the particulars you can check out Randall's website. It isn't done yet but it will give you the contact information. Try:   rhgraham.com   I'm sure you can have one made to suite you. I paid $325 plus shipping for mine. He can send them UPS if you aren't in MN or WI.

#5 R.H.Graham

R.H.Graham
  • Members
  • 2,056 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing

Posted 29 June 2004 - 01:34 PM

I got the new site working,  www.rhgraham.com , on the tech page I'm putting on info on forges of all kinds, how-too's and stuff, check it out if ya'll get a chance... it'll be an ongoing project slipped in between all the other stuff i don't have enough time to work on either...
:P
Randal
My knives, Tools, and Swords on Facebook;
https://www.facebook...ves?ref=tn_tnmn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users