26 replies to this topic

#1 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

Hi All --

I used to burn the handle onto my the hidden tang knives I made, but had several handles crack or warp from the heat.

I recently started using this technique instead of the drill, file, file some more, file yet some more, needle file, needle file, etc.

Step 1: Drill a hole whose diameter is slightly larger than the widest part of the tang.

Step 2: Fill the whole with a two part epoxy putty. You can usually buy this at Lowes or Home Depot. It comes in small tubes like this:

From junkdrawer

You break off a chunk and knead it together. It hardens in about 20 minutes. We use this stuff to repair boats in the commercial fishery. It even hardens underwater.

Step 3: Coat the tang with petroleum jelly, and slide the tang into the putty filled hole. Then remove it.

Voila. Perfect fit.

From junkdrawer

I like this stuff a lot more than using regular epoxy because you can form it and remove the tang before it sets.

Hope you guys find this useful.

Cheers!

--Dave

-----------------------------------------------

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

http://stephensforge.com

#2 Luke Shearer

Luke Shearer
  • Members
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:swordsmithing, Celtic and Norse culture, history, philosophy, running, bush craft, logic, chess,etc.

Posted 07 November 2010 - 06:11 PM

Thank you. This makes things muuuuch easier. I'll have to try this next time.

Btw, what's the wood? wood interests me.

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Knotted Wyrm- my blog

#3 Kenon Rain

Kenon Rain
  • Members
  • 1,228 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 08:31 PM

Cool tip! very handy for knives that need to be able to take apart, thanks for sharing
Blam!

#4 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:01 PM

Thank you. This makes things muuuuch easier. I'll have to try this next time.

Btw, what's the wood? wood interests me.

It's ebony.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly." -- Theodore Roosevelt

#5 Dan Scott

Dan Scott
  • Members
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Rock Climbing
    Backpacking
    Wandering around
    Bladesmithing
    Geomorphology
    Writing

Posted 07 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

This is awesome. I'm buying some of this stuff first thing tomorrow. Great idea.

Thanks!

-Dan

#6 Sam Salvati

Sam Salvati

Fourm Board

• Super Administrators
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 07 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

Very cool Dave!! Much less messy than acra glass.

Not to hijack, I have a similar technique, drill the hole slightly smaller then the widest part of your tang and go straight through. This only requires some riffling to inset the rectangular tang into the round hole on the guard end. For the buttcap, turn a piece on the lathe that has a step on it with the step being the diameter of the hole you drilled, then drill a center hole for the tang. The step will keep the smaller end of the tang centered in the hole.
Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

#7 Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin (The Professor)
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,993 posts
  • Interests:reading, Psychology, law, public policy (teaching people to get along, take care of one-another, and not destroy the planet in the process). Bladesmithing, Outdoors stuff of all types, esp. camping and ecology, exercise, cooking. Dogs and Cats.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 01:55 AM

Dave - great for takedowns, especially.

I still do the two halves mortised and wood glued together for the ones that are never coming apart I can get a precise fit for the curvy handles that I have been making lately. I haven't made any takedowns yet, but when I do, this will be the way I go.

Sam - don't go no lathe. Solid idea, though.

thanks for tips.
kc

please visit my website: www.professorsforge.com

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

#8 Todd Gdula

Todd Gdula
  • Supporting Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Thanks, Dave, great idea. I've used this stuff to temp patch drain pipes, and one of those temp patches is three years old now and still hard as a rock. :rolleyes: It should last forever inside a handle.

-Todd
www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

#9 B. Norris

B. Norris
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:18 AM

Way cool Dave! Thanks for sharing. By the way, have you seen the Blind Tang Saw tip on Don's website, in the tips section? Blind Tang Saw It can take some of the "file, file some more, file yet some more, needle file, needle file, etc." out of the picture.

~Bruce~
“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran
"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

#10 Geoff Keyes

Geoff Keyes
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:42 AM

I use this technique, pretty much. I use the 5 minute epoxy, since it's just there to provide a registration fit. I wrap the tang with teflon tape, a bit of petrolium jelly in the nooks and crannys, and there you go.

Nice tip.

Geoff
"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

#11 Jim P

Jim P
  • Supporting Member
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Making knives,shooting muzzleloaders,fly fishing,hunting quail. Celtic music.

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:20 PM

That's a great idea I'll have try that on my next one. Thanks

#12 JJ Simon

JJ Simon
  • Supporting Member
  • 914 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:12 PM

AWESOME! What a time saver!

#13 Art Lawrence

Art Lawrence
  • Supporting Member
  • 366 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:30 PM

Thanks Dave,

About how long do you have to wait before you insert the tang, and about how long do you leave it in before you pull it out. (that didn't sound right)

Art
"My sword and my shield are at your command"

#14 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 09:32 AM

Thanks Dave,

About how long do you have to wait before you insert the tang, and about how long do you leave it in before you pull it out. (that didn't sound right)

Art

LOL. Let's keep Freud out of this.

The putty is slightly stiffer than the consistency of play-doh. It doesn't sag or run, so you can insert it into the tang as soon as you knead the two parts together. Similarly, you slide the tang in and pull it right out. It will hold shape before it begins to set.

Luck!

--Dave

#15 alexb

alexb
  • Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 12:29 PM

Thank you very much,a brilliant idea that is so simple yet effective.
Do you use any epoxy on the tang for the final fit?

#16 Art Lawrence

Art Lawrence
  • Supporting Member
  • 366 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 08:02 PM

Thank you Dave,

You have many great ideas! A
"My sword and my shield are at your command"

#17 VaughnT

VaughnT
  • Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 06:37 PM

And to think, I have a blade just waiting for a handle, but I didn't really want to get into drilling and needlefiling for hours. Picked up some 0222 about an hour ago and will be giving this a whirl just as soon as the guard is done.

Thank you!!

When reason fails...

#18 Dave Stephens

Dave Stephens

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 3,071 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 09:39 PM

Thank you very much,a brilliant idea that is so simple yet effective.
Do you use any epoxy on the tang for the final fit?

Yes, I do use epoxy for the final fit, but primarily for a water seal.

Cheers!

-Dave

#19 Doug Lester

Doug Lester
  • Members
  • 2,970 posts
  • Interests:knives, swords, history

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:07 AM

Hardly traditional but I bet if the Norse had stuff like that they'd have used it to, so what the heck. ;)

Also remember that Freud said that sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Or was that Bill Clinton :ph34r:.

Doug

Edited by Doug Lester, 01 June 2012 - 12:13 AM.

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

#20 B Finnigan

B Finnigan
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Physical rehab, blade forging, machining, woodworking, hiking, mountain biking, home brewing, coffee roasting and photography.

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:32 AM

I built a set of interchangeable tang scrapers several years ago. A 1/8", 3/16" and 1/4" made from 1095 scrap. They secure in with two threaded slugs.

I have snapped a couple of the 1/8" but it's real fast to machine out another.

Posted Image
Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users