Photo

Scottish Armories

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Burns

Robert Burns
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:scottish highland games, bladesmithing, blacksmithing, adventure sports

Posted 03 December 2010 - 08:43 PM

Hey guys not sure if this is the right place but I was wondering if any of you guys had any info about some Scottish armories? I'm going on my first trip out of country this summer and wanted to hit the really good ones on my journey cross country or if you guys know any historic reenactment sites over there that you have been to or know that are good...thanks much guys!

#2 peter johnsson

peter johnsson

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 07:54 AM

A must to see in Scotland are Kelvingrove museum and Burrell Collection in Glasgow.

www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/our-museums/kelvingrove/Pages/home.

www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/our-museums/burrell-collection/Pages/home.aspx

In these two places (Kelvingrove having a larger exhibit of arms and armour last time I visited many years ago) have many of the all time classics that are published time and time again in books on history of arms and armour.

Don´t miss the art deco buildings in Glasgow (like the art school and the Willow tea rooms) if you appreciate that kind of thing.
Do a Google image search for: Charles Rennie Mackintosh

Also do not miss the National Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh:
www.nms.ac.uk/our_museums/national_museum.aspx

Very large museum crammed full with all things Scottish. Quite a few blade related things scattered about even if less arms and armour related per se, you will find interesting and important stuff.

#3 richard sexstone

richard sexstone

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 05 December 2010 - 06:19 AM

Take pics where they will let you... we'd like to see tooPosted Image Have fun....

Dick

#4 Richard Furrer

Richard Furrer
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • Interests:General blacksmith with an intense interest in steel making and swords of various periods.

Posted 05 December 2010 - 10:54 AM

I'd ask Vince Evans as well..he has been through Scotland a few times doing what you are about to do.

I am sure there are small local museums where a few gems are hidden away.
It has been better than 18 years since I was through Scotland..I am sure some things have changed.

Ric
Richard Furrer
Door County Forgeworks
Sturgeon Bay, WI

#5 Robert Burns

Robert Burns
  • Members
  • 382 posts
  • Interests:scottish highland games, bladesmithing, blacksmithing, adventure sports

Posted 08 December 2010 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for all the info guys and there will be pictures galore!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users