• Super Administrators
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 11:13 PM

I think I posted this a long time ago:

part 1

part 2

part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TO5LwkJEXos

monsieur Maillefert does a much smoother forging job IMO though, or so it seems from the videos.
Let not the swords of good and free men be reforged into plowshares, but may they rest in a place of honor; ready, well oiled and God willing unused. For if the price of peace becomes licking the boots of tyrants, then "To Arms!" I say, and may the fortunes of war smile upon patriots

#22 Antoine

Antoine
  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 07:44 AM

Thank you Sam! I was looking for that video!

In the tens of thousands of hammer blow series: here's another one, you have to be patient! The anvil he uses on the rasp is neat...

Enjoy!

Antoine

Edited by Antoine, 24 February 2011 - 07:58 AM.

#23 Willman

Willman
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:40 PM

Are they forging in coke in the video Sam posted?
“If I have seen a little farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”-Isaac Newton

#24 Matt Bower

Matt Bower
  • Supporting Member
  • 978 posts

Posted 24 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

I think I posted this a long time ago:

part 1

part 2

part 3

monsieur Maillefert does a much smoother forging job IMO though, or so it seems from the videos.

There's more of that !&~$* magical flux-glue! I'd like to know what that stuff is!

#25 richard sexstone

richard sexstone

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 06:47 AM

Willman, looks they are using charcoal...

Antoine,

that last vid was interesting how he was going across on an angle instead of straight across... it looked like it was easier to keep the burs lined up that way...

Nice ear plugs tooPosted Image but I did like the phrasing to his rhythm... Um pa pa UmPa Pa 1 2 3 1 2 3 ....

Dick

#26 Willman

Willman
  • Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:31 AM

You sure? Take a look at 3:00 and 3:30 in the first video. When he is heating it up to quench it looks like they switched to charcoal.
Willman
“If I have seen a little farther than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants.”-Isaac Newton

#27 Matt Bower

Matt Bower
  • Supporting Member
  • 978 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:49 AM

Some of those closeups didn't look like charcoal to me, either. Not sticky enough for coal, though. Coke might be a good guess, although I would think it might be kind of expensive, what with needing to import it and all.

#28 richard sexstone

richard sexstone

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:54 AM

Willman,
Yeah I see what you mean ... but then in the same vid just before that at 2:38 he is loading a big chunk of charcoal that hasn't been broken up yet... and in the second video there is a good shot where you can see the layers in the individual chunks... I suppose they could be using a mix... what I have always read is that they used charcoal in the past ..

But some of the close ups do look like coke... but the flame looks like charcoal... Anybody speak Japanese that could say whether they mention what kind of fuel is being used?

Dick

#29 Jan Ysselstein

Jan Ysselstein
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,312 posts
  • Interests:shaping and making of steel and iron

Posted 26 February 2011 - 12:01 PM

Willman,
Yeah I see what you mean ... but then in the same vid just before that at 2:38 he is loading a big chunk of charcoal that hasn't been broken up yet... and in the second video there is a good shot where you can see the layers in the individual chunks... I suppose they could be using a mix... what I have always read is that they used charcoal in the past ..

Dick

Dick,

It looks like they are welding with coke and taking charcoal from the wooden box for heat treating.
Jan

To those who posted this and other videos on this thread...thank you, "seeing" really made some important connections regarding the process.
Jan

#30 Jared Stier

Jared Stier
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,114 posts
  • Interests:My profession - archeology

Posted 26 March 2011 - 09:02 AM

Im with matt on wondering what that flux dust is. Looks like iron shavings?
Practice random acts of Viking

#31 Kristopher Skelton

Kristopher Skelton
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:fire, metal, beer, meat, lifting heavy things...

Posted 15 June 2011 - 12:58 AM

:blink: Mind=blown.... thanks for sharing these videos. No more complaining that I don't have this-or-that piece of equipment (except possibly a team of three strikers who were around before the first hammer ;) ). The precision of the forging embarrasses me :unsure:
Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"
A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

#32 Salem Straub

Salem Straub
  • Members
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:All types of ferrous metalwork. Shop machinery, acquiring, rebuilding, and using. Tai Chi Sword, the practice and the blades. Playing music, eating good food, reading good books. Enjoying life!

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:10 PM

Wow, totally excellent. Quality entertainment. I'm intrigued by that flux, too. Sure looks like it makes welding that hammer face easier.

Not that I could make that saw, but I hate to think what I'd have to charge for it if I did... it's magnificent.

#33 Antoine

Antoine
  • Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:20 PM

Some really nice power hammer work:

My link

Notice the pierced dies for hot punching...

Antoine

Edited by Antoine, 23 June 2011 - 12:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users