lethal elegance

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jake cleland

jake cleland
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:21 AM

just received my copy of this today, after seeing it at owens hammer-in last week. beautiful photographs, in incredible detail, and pieces which are inspiring and depressing in equal measure, with a few peices which may work as projects for a novice like me. well worth a look for anyone interested in non ferrous work. there are also a couple of pipe and tobbacco pouches with kagimabuta which are very interesting - it's hard to find pictures of japanese leather work - i may have to colaborate on one of these with my sister, who's started doing pretty much all my leather work... no idea how to start going about making one of the pipes, though...
Jake Cleland - Skye Knives
www.knifemaker.co.uk
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

#2 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,252 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 13 April 2011 - 01:13 PM

Got any pics of the pipes? I might be able to contribute something along those lines. ;)

#3 Lee Bray

Lee Bray
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:27 AM

Great book. It's part of the Boston Museum of Fine Arts - http://www.mfa.org/ - collection so you may be able to see more pipe, and fittings, online.

The pipes are called kiseru.
This is a good link on the traditional construction process.

There is one pipe in the book and a couple of pouches.
I've taken the liberty of reproducing a pic from the book...hope they don't mind...

kiseru1.jpg

And a link to the bigger pic.
https://picasaweb.go...032114875354594

#4 Richard Furrer

Richard Furrer
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • Interests:General blacksmith with an intense interest in steel making and swords of various periods.

Posted 26 April 2011 - 08:52 AM

That video, among other things, shows a foot powered blower which blows air over an oil flame to solder...much like the reciprocal breathing blow pipe soldering of other cultures.
OLD MAN THINKING!

Ric
Richard Furrer
Door County Forgeworks
Sturgeon Bay, WI

#5 H’llyn

H’llyn
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Jake, did you manage to get a new copy? I had to order mine from the U.S as Amazon pulled the pre-orders and cancelled them. I do hope they republish because a $400+ for a fairly recent book like this is a bit over the top.
Grey hair and alopecia are signs of age, not of wisdom...
Rósta aš, mašr!

#6 Richard Furrer

Richard Furrer
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,837 posts
  • Interests:General blacksmith with an intense interest in steel making and swords of various periods.

Posted 02 May 2011 - 10:20 AM

This the book yes?

http://www.amazon.co...04349551&sr=8-1

Or is there another I do not know about?

Ric
Richard Furrer
Door County Forgeworks
Sturgeon Bay, WI

#7 Lee Bray

Lee Bray
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 02 May 2011 - 07:52 PM

That's the one.
It's paperback though - I believe Hyllyn is referring to the hardback which can sell for ridiculous amounts.

#8 Richard Furrer

Richard Furrer
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:35 PM

That's the one.
It's paperback though - I believe Hyllyn is referring to the hardback which can sell for ridiculous amounts.

I have a hardback copy....I assume it has the same information as the paperback yes..so why does one "need" one vs the other?

Ric
Richard Furrer
Door County Forgeworks
Sturgeon Bay, WI

#9 Lee Bray

Lee Bray
  • Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 07:31 PM

Maybe ask whoever "needs" the book as I don't believe either myself nor Hyllyn do.
I'm just pointing out the difference, not explaining why people are strange.

#10 H’llyn

H’llyn
  • Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 04:28 PM

I thought it was just completely out of print, both hardback and paperback, that is why I pointed out.

It makes no difference as the contents are just the same. The one issue I have with the books is that not always Omote and Ura sides of pieces are shown, so if you want to do copy study you have to be creative or go to Boston. There's another older book which shows a catalogue of tsuba from the MFA Boston but I let a copy pass me by a few months ago, so I have no idea whether the old one has a more comprehensive list of tsuba.
Grey hair and alopecia are signs of age, not of wisdom...
Rósta aš, mašr!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users