Photo

Kiridashi Utility

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 slab698

slab698
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, Blacksmithing, Primitive archery, Welding and not neccessarily in that order.

Posted 11 May 2011 - 08:29 PM

Forged from 5160, It has a flat grind with convex edge. Overall length is 5&3/8ths overall with a 1&7/8ths cutting edge. Comes with the black paracord lanyard as seen in the photo. Price on this one is 65$ shipped anywhere in the lower 48. Thanks for lookin, Steve.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 kyle o'donnell

kyle o'donnell
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:11 AM

might i ask why this is so expensive? i dont mean to be a dick. i was just wondering if theres something special about it that i dont see.
there is a fine line between creation and destruction

#3 slab698

slab698
  • Members
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, Blacksmithing, Primitive archery, Welding and not neccessarily in that order.

Posted 12 May 2011 - 12:42 PM

Well I spent alot of time on it and think it's a fair price. Just my humble opinion of course.

Edited by slab698, 12 May 2011 - 12:43 PM.

#4 kyle o'donnell

kyle o'donnell
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:41 PM

right on. how long did it take you? also how thick is it?

#5 EdgarFigaro

EdgarFigaro
  • Supporting Member
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 03:27 PM

Seems like a good price to me for something hand made. =]
Beau Erwin
www.ErwinKnives.com
Custom knives
Bcarta Composites
Stabilized Woods

#6 Todd Gdula

Todd Gdula
  • Supporting Member
  • 555 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

Seems like a good price to me for something hand made. =]

Ditto.
www.toddblades.com

"Geometry says how sharp, steel says how long." - Roman Landes, Ashokan 2009

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

- George Orwell

#7 TMason

TMason
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:sharp things, things that go boom, trucks, boats, general redneck things, and pretty ladies holding cold drinks

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:43 PM

What would be the normal usage for a knife of this style?
Tim

Experience is the best teacher, especially when it's someone else's experience.

#8 slab698

slab698
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:57 PM

Tim just a neck knife or an everyday carry type of style. Kyle its .25in. thick tapering to the cutting edge, and I guess im not as fast as others at the anvil or grinder just yet. Thanks guys for the kind words.

Steve

#9 dragoncutlery

dragoncutlery
  • Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:all things cutlery

Posted 12 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

that thing is huge you might need to come up with your own name for it when i think kiridashi i think small knife used for utility work and mostly making fine marks in wood for (like a pencil would be used for) fine wood working

im thinking post apocalyptic pencil tuner

or fighting spatula of doom (gotta have tha doom part)
Brandon Sawisch bladesmith

eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines

#10 kyle o'donnell

kyle o'donnell
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 12:30 AM

that thing is huge you might need to come up with your own name for it when i think kiridashi i think small knife used for utility work and mostly making fine marks in wood for (like a pencil would be used for) fine wood working

im thinking post apocalyptic pencil tuner

or fighting spatula of doom (gotta have tha doom part)

yeh. i was kinda thinking the same. its closer looking to a chisel than a kiridashi

#11 slab698

slab698
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:40 AM

I honestly wasn't too sure on what to call it since it is a little bit bigger than most ive seen. Fighting spatula of doom is great :lol: .

#12 TMason

TMason
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • Interests:sharp things, things that go boom, trucks, boats, general redneck things, and pretty ladies holding cold drinks

Posted 13 May 2011 - 04:31 PM

I love the style and look of it, should be a handy piece.
Tim

Experience is the best teacher, especially when it's someone else's experience.

#13 Bret

Bret
  • Members
  • 161 posts
  • Interests:Making pretty much anything from knives to dinner or anything that happens to catch my interest.

Posted 17 May 2011 - 01:10 AM

might i ask why this is so expensive? i dont mean to be a dick. i was just wondering if theres something special about it that i dont see.

yeh. i was kinda thinking the same. its closer looking to a chisel than a kiridashi

WOW Kyle, I dont mean to be offensive or anything but, man your just being offensive. Constructive criticism is one thing but, Im thinking this is borderline insulting. Just saying. My opinion. There are many people here far far better than me that could poor derision on my work and I am grateful that instead the are helpful understanding and informative. Thats why Im here. probably why your here. and in that spirit I think you would be better served following that example. You tend to get out of people what you put in.

Slab very cool man

Edited by Bret, 17 May 2011 - 01:12 AM.

#14 kyle o'donnell

kyle o'donnell
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 02:01 AM

im sorry if i was offensive. but i simply said what i wanted to know. and my interpretations.
belive me. i can make an offensive comment. these were not them.
if you look up kiridashi. they tend to have more of a knifelike look with a chisel grind.

#15 Mathew Kinmond

Mathew Kinmond
  • Members
  • 58 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing :)

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:12 AM

uh....kiridashi's are chisel grind for the reason of dexterity with wood working and ease to re-sharpen. back in the older days it was too hard to make sure you were centered with the two angles. and grinders and even sharpening stones were expensive. so most people asked for this style. you might want to try looking up the history before you (pardon the ironic pun) hack and slash at someones work. trust me i've tried this and i didn't do as well.

very nice knife man. love the grind lines, it adds a bit of flavor.

Edited by Mathew Kinmond, 17 May 2011 - 07:13 AM.

#16 Bryan Bondurant

Bryan Bondurant
  • Supporting Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 10:55 AM

Design for purpose. If you made the knife this style for use as a specific tool, good deal. If you just tried to remove as little material as possible so you could call it a knife, its lazy work.

The actual blade shape has many obvious functions as a scraper. Anyone working on cabinets, furniture, longbows are scraping large hides would be happy to have a big flat wide blade like this. Having said that the handle does not present itself as something that would be comfortable to use for hour after hour. I can feel the blisters popping up on my hands just looking at the tool thinking of uses for it.

The bottom line is with any completed blade you will learn something you can change, keep, or add to a future knife as long as you keep a positive attitude.

#17 Bryan Bondurant

Bryan Bondurant
  • Supporting Member
  • 948 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:01 AM

Design for purpose. If you made the knife this style for use as a specific tool, good deal. If you just tried to remove as little material as possible so you could call it a knife, its lazy work.

The actual blade shape has many obvious functions as a scraper. Anyone working on cabinets, furniture, longbows are scraping large hides would be happy to have a big flat wide blade like this. Having said that the handle does not present itself as something that would be comfortable to use for hour after hour. I can feel the blisters popping up on my hands just looking at the tool thinking of uses for it.

The bottom line is with any completed blade you will learn something you can change, keep, or add to a future knife as long as you keep a positive attitude.

#18 slab698

slab698
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:56 AM

I have alot to learn and will raise both hands in saying Im no pro in the knife making world just yet. :lol: Im glad to have found a forum like this where people are willing to share their knowledge for free, Doesn't get much better than that for me.

Steve

#19 kyle o'donnell

kyle o'donnell
  • Members
  • 490 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:15 PM

steve, i really didnt mean to offend you and im sorry if i did.
mathew, i was talking about the fact that most kiridashi have a point.

#20 slab698

slab698
  • Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:28 PM

No worries at all kyle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users