Photo

found 3 jackhammer bits at the pawn shop. should i pick them up?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 matt ross

matt ross
  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:12 PM

from what i understand jackhammer bits are usualy high manganese wich sucks for hamons. should i pick these up anyway? i think they were 7 bucks each but i could talk him down to 5 im sure. :rolleyes:

#2 B. Norris

B. Norris
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

For $5 I would pick them up just to have the stock. However, in regards to these things being any particular alloy, check out the following thread. Junkyard Steel Facts

~Bruce~
“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran
"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

#3 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,252 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 19 October 2011 - 02:09 PM

They're usually 1045 with added silicon for toughness. Dunno about hamon, but they make good hardy tooling. I always snag 'em when I see 'em for cheap.

#4 Matt Bower

Matt Bower
  • Supporting Member
  • 978 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 03:37 PM

The breaker hammer bits that I have are within the range for 1045, as Alan said, and as described in that link above. Grant Sarver suggested they might be something like 15B40, which is .4% carbon with a tiny amount of boron to improve hardenability. (He used to make these bits and had a bunch of his competitors' products tested.) That could be; the boron content in 15B40 is so low that it might have been written off as "trace" on the test results I got. (My bits don't have enough Mn to be 15B40, but they could be a similar proprietary alloy.)

For $5 each, they're probably worth buying. With the Mn and possibly B, I wouldn't expect them to make good hamon. (Is "hamon" the plural of "hamon"?) But you could use them to make tooling, small hammers, etc.

#5 nakedanvil

nakedanvil
  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Toolmaking, reading, toolmaking, blacksmithing, toolmaking, wooden boats, toolmaking, sex, toolmaking, computers, oh yeah.....and toolmaking

Posted 19 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Depends a lot on the manufacturer and from what time period. As a general rule, Brunner & Lay have been using a modified 1045 for as long as I can remember. Twenty years ago most of the others were using 1078. During the last twenty years people have experimented with many low alloys. Last I saw Vulcan was using 15B40. Some others like DelSteel and Pioneer were using 9260 in their premium line, 1078 for the rest. My own "Apex Alloy" was 8630. I've been away from it for ten years so some things may have changed.
Perfection

is achieved not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users