• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Matti Kunelius

Matti Kunelius
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 06:28 AM

Hello!

I've only just registered here, but I've been reading occasionally for years. Now I thought it would be the time.

I'm 27-year old Finnish puukkosmith and a silversmith artisan student.

I thought I could intoduce myself by presenting a video I filmed november last year for a damascus steel class I taught. And I thought people here could find the video interesting.. :)

So without any further babble, here you go:

http://www.mkunelius.com/videoeng.html

Hope you'll enjoy! And please share any comments and thoughts that may come to mind! Don't be afraid to criticize either! :)

Sincerely, Matti Kunelius

#2 Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 07:02 AM

Hello and welcome :-) !
Very nice videos - Im a complete noob at this, so I hope you dont mind the questions:
1: When you put your name/logo on the blade - its done with overhead paper, which you put on the blade, and then melt on with an iron?
2: What do you then put on the blade after (with the cuetip) to get the name to stick :-)
Thomas Nichols - Denmark

#3 Troy Christianson

Troy Christianson
  • Members
  • 867 posts
  • Interests:Knifemaking, Blackpowder shooting, BBQ-ing, pottery, outdoor activity, hunting, camping,

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Very enjoyable and informative videos. Checked out your pukkos on your site as well. Masterful!
Troy Allen Christianson is NOT a "Licensed Bladesmith" so you may treat his posts with the contempt they deserve.

#4 John Page

John Page
  • Members
  • 1,950 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, blacksmithing, medieval history, Norse mythology, archery, cartography

Posted 04 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

Nice forging and videos. That's an ingenious contraption you have there with the belt sander B) I may have to build something like it..seems to work very well. I look forward to seeing more of your work.

And Thomas, he's using the printed ribbon as a resist for etching. After the ink is on the blade, a cuetip is dampened and has an electric current run through it, etching the exposed metal. Then the ink is removed, and voilà! Logo! At least, that's the basic rundown.

John
“Not all those who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

#5 Greg Thomas Obach

Greg Thomas Obach
  • Members
  • 3,459 posts
  • Interests:steel forgings, melting steel and iron

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:02 AM

lovely video.. very cool stuff

like your blade grinding jig... first i see like that

#6 peter johnsson

peter johnsson

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 11:44 AM

Beautiful work that is beautifully presented. Very welcome to the Forum!
I look forward to see more of your work and hear your ideas on this craft.

#7 Niko Hynninen

Niko Hynninen
  • Members
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

Hi Matti :lol:

Presentation was really nice, your puukkos have risen to top group
of this craft. Beautiful work.

Welcome to the Forum.

BR
Niko

#8 owen bush

owen bush
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Profesional smith ,More and more I am interested in the history of out craft ,It just drags me back .

Posted 04 February 2012 - 02:11 PM

Hi, nice vid.
I personally would have loved to see the maker and power hammer!!
The disembodied shots of hammer and steel, do not for me tell as much of the story as would the posture, expression and attitude of the man behind the hammer. and I personally love power hammers so seeing the whole power hammer would be great for me.
nice music too
forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

#9 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,252 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 04 February 2012 - 04:11 PM

Welcome!

Nice video, it covered the process admirably.

Really nice puukko, too! B)

#10 Matti Kunelius

Matti Kunelius
  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:00 AM

Thank you guys for your input and the warm welcome!

Thomas, John explained it very well, that's how it's done. Make sure you use a laser printer, I have a hunch that an ink-printer (or-what-it's-called) ink would not work. I use a old computer transformer as an electric source. I'm sure you can find a more thorough explanation somewhere in this forum.

John and Greg, that grinding jig is an improved version from what I've seen some puukko-smiths using. You're welcome to use the idea..:)

It might be self-evident but it is very important, so I'll have to mention. If you use water when grinding, be extremely careful when moistening the belt!! As everyone knows, water and electricity don't mix. Use just enough to keep the blade from sparkiling and add a small amount with a sponge when sparkles begin to fly.

Peter, I'll sure be presenting more my work as I "get settled" here..:)

Niko, it's nice to "speak" with you after a long time! Thank you very much for your great compliments!

Owen, thanks for the pointers! They are something worth pondering about if I ever get into making another one of these. You're right, this doesn't serve in a best possible way introducing myself. It is quite impersonal indeed. I hadn't thought about that when I was filming this. I was trying only to show the process as closely as possible. That power hammer of mine is another story.. :) It is self built, ugly and crude, unfinished. Not worth presenting in it's current state. Maybe after I've finished it someday.. trust me, I will. ..I think..:)

I'll forward your compliments on the music for the maker. He happens to be my nephew, a young and promising artist! I'm lucky he got excited enough about the videos to write music on them.

Thank you all once again! And more comments are always welcome!

- Matti

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users