Hot glass
    Woodworking
    Camping
    Fishing
    Hunting
    and being in the mountains
    with my Wife and Kids

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:06 PM

I'm not sure how this works so this is a question suggestion. Is there a KITH every year, and if there is I would like to suggest a them of edged weapons open. These would mean knife, axe, hawk, spear what ever any period, fantasy, art totally open. I think it would be cool if people jumped out of there comfort zone and tried something new for the event. If people try something they are not used to they would have to ask more questions and it would create many more learning threads, the main reason this forum is so amazing. Just a thought.

Kip

A man is no better than his word! Check out the web site @ http://kaisercustomknives.com

#2 John Page

John Page
  • Members
  • 1,961 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, blacksmithing, medieval history, Norse mythology, archery, cartography

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

Weird reverse double post :huh:

Edited by John Page, 26 February 2012 - 08:58 PM.

“Not all those who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

#3 John Page

John Page
  • Members
  • 1,961 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, blacksmithing, medieval history, Norse mythology, archery, cartography

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:01 PM

I think this is a great idea, and I would definitely participate. That might be too broad a category, although I personally have no problems with it. I do like the idea of pushing personal boundaries. A lot of good information can come out of it.

John

Edited by John Page, 26 February 2012 - 08:01 PM.

-Last Apocalypse Forge-

#4 Sam D.

Sam D.
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Sam D. is addicted to fly-fishing!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:20 PM

I'm not sure how this works so this is a question suggestion. Is there a KITH every year, and if there is I would like to suggest a them of edged weapons open. These would mean knife, axe, hawk, spear what ever any period, fantasy, art totally open. I think it would be cool if people jumped out of there comfort zone and tried something new for the event. If people try something they are not used to they would have to ask more questions and it would create many more learning threads, the main reason this forum is so amazing. Just a thought.

Kip

Can I also suggest we start 2012 KITH now with a draw date of Valentine's Day 2013.

For 2012 all entry's must submit Photo to this topic list, of weapon by 1 Feb 2013. For those entering add your name to the following list and re-post it to this thread.

2012 KITH List:

1. SamD - AKA - Sam Duckworth, Sopchoppy, Fla.

Edited by Sam D., 26 February 2012 - 08:30 PM.

#5 John Page

John Page
  • Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:05 PM

Mods, might it be possible to make a new forum for KITH 2012 similar to the 2011 one?

2012 KITH List:

1. SamD - AKA - Sam Duckworth, Sopchoppy, Fla.
2. John Page

-Last Apocalypse Forge-

#6 Dillon M.

Dillon M.
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:50 PM

what about a non-knife theme,but everything else? the only problem i can foresee would be a lot of people asking "would this work" or "can i do this". so i would suggest metal,non knife, edged weapon. that should rule out stone, bone, or any other materials. i have nothing against these materials, in fact my main hobby is working with stone and bone tools, but they might incite some argument.

#7 Christopher Price

Christopher Price

Semi-professional Bladesmith

• Supporting Member
  • 2,323 posts
  • Interests:All forms of Metalsmithing, Motorcycles, Scouting

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:55 AM

This is why a theme is typically chosen, to narrow down the options a little and eliminate confusion. No theme will ever make everyone happy, whether it be too specific or too broad. We just roll with it.

I also think a year is too long - this one gave people 5 months, and there's a fine showing, but most people picked it up in the last month or so. 3-4 is good enough, those that have time will do it, those that don't... need to step up their game a little if they wanna play. No judgement, just reality.
The Tidewater Forge
Christopher Price, Bladesmith

#8 Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin (The Professor)
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,995 posts
  • Interests:reading, Psychology, law, public policy (teaching people to get along, take care of one-another, and not destroy the planet in the process). Bladesmithing, Outdoors stuff of all types, esp. camping and ecology, exercise, cooking. Dogs and Cats.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

I like the idea of somewhat less time. Lets make it due, whatever "it" is, by the end of the summer (at the latest).

If it is very broad, I will go with a short sword or big dagger, but something more European. I have a hankerin' to make a baselard or a cinquedea. If "knives and their derivatives" are out, the who knows? pweld spear?

please visit my website: www.professorsforge.com

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

#9 Christopher Price

Christopher Price

• Supporting Member
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:37 AM

Shivs, man, shivs.

Or a fork.
The Tidewater Forge

#10 JJ Simon

JJ Simon
  • Supporting Member
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

once again I'm down,
Once a definite theme is decided.

#11 Geoff Keyes

Geoff Keyes
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:20 PM

Integrals? Bolsters, guards, handles.

Geoff
"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

#12 Sam D.

Sam D.
  • Members
  • 98 posts
  • Interests:Sam D. is addicted to fly-fishing!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 02:04 PM

Ok if we are going to narrow it down how do folks feel about:
Iron Age - 1900AD timeframe, EDC - everyday carry utility belt knives?

#13 Stephen Stumbo

Stephen Stumbo
  • Members
  • 862 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, blacksmithing, welding.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

I kinda like Chris's idea. We could all do damascus forks :D

My Website (wip) - eagleeyeforge.com

EagleEyeForge on Facebook - Eagle Eye Forge

#14 Dillon M.

Dillon M.
  • Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:16 PM

so this year was tribal/fantasy and last year was zombie apocalypse, should the fantasy/sci-fi theme be continued, or should we do something else. or maybe completely change it, after some of the stuff sam's been posting, i think Geoff's idea is a good one.

#15 Jason Mather

Jason Mather
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Toolmaking, historical blacksmithing, knifesmithing, all things old and forgotten.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:03 PM

I like the idea of an EDC iron age to 1900 AD but would add well researched. Working knives are a pretty cool and often ignored part of history.
Anything worth doing will be done at your own expense.

Thyrthweorc

#16 John Page

John Page
  • Members
  • 1,961 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:12 PM

I like the 'non knife theme' but that's just me. I have a few interesting ideas for that, but I would gladly go along with anything.

-Last Apocalypse Forge-

#17 JJ Simon

JJ Simon
  • Supporting Member
  • 914 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:03 PM

If we do a non Knife I'm gonna make a Damascus spork.

#18 Dan Scott

Dan Scott
  • Members
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:Rock Climbing
    Backpacking
    Wandering around
    Bladesmithing
    Geomorphology
    Writing

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:32 PM

I'm probably in once we decide on a theme. I personally love EDC/work knives, so I'd love to do a KITH on that theme. Something along the lines of just make your very best general purpose work knife.

I really like the idea of doing a KITH theme based on a particular function, not just a style/art. For instance, eating utensils could be pretty sweet too (would include steak knives, carving forks, spoons [and sporks!], butter knives, oyster knives, all sorts of fun projects).

Also, I agree, make it due at the end of summer. I feel the summer is when the most work gets done, so I think the most people could participate if they had that time to work on it.

-Dan

#19 Kip Kaiser

Kip Kaiser
  • Members
  • 1,141 posts
  • Interests:Knife making
    Learning blacksmithing
    Hot glass
    Woodworking
    Camping
    Fishing
    Hunting
    and being in the mountains
    with my Wife and Kids

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:54 PM

The EDC/work knife thing sounds cool and can still take some people out of there norm. I already have a plan if we stick with this. A double friction fold camp knife with spork and knife. What ever them Im game and ready to go!!!

Kip

A man is no better than his word! Check out the web site @ http://kaisercustomknives.com

#20 Christopher Price

Christopher Price

• Supporting Member
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:56 PM

Oooh, "Eating Set", I like it.

I really like it.
The Tidewater Forge

0 user(s) are reading this topic