Grinder questions....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scott A. Roush

Scott A. Roush

Bladesmith

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmith, traditional archery, living history, brewing mead and beer, wood, fencing, bird dogs

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

I'm preparing to run both a disk grinder and KMG from a single VFD. I have two 1.5hp motors I will be using. I'm not yet ready to hook up the disk grinder since I'm preparing to move shops... but I now have my KMG running from the VFD. Which is very nice by the way.

I plan to use a 3PDT on/off/on switch to switch from disk to KMG. Now that I have one motor already wired in... Can I just cut the wire that's going from the currently installed motor to the VFD, connect the switch to that and then wire both of the motors to the switch??? Is that clear???

On another note.... What factors can you adjust to fix wobbly tracking on a KMG? I was thinking that when I switched to the new motor and got everything lined up that the issue would be gone.. or at least change. Well I still have wobble. About an 1/8" or so side to side....

#2 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,252 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 28 March 2012 - 02:42 PM

I have no clue about the switch, but belt tracking issues on a KMG are almost always due to either old/bad belts or not enough tension of the tracking arm spring. Luckily that's easily adjustible on the KMG, just take off the belt and screw the little brass wheel under the spring further up the stud. Hope that helps!

#3 Scott A. Roush

Scott A. Roush

Bladesmith

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmith, traditional archery, living history, brewing mead and beer, wood, fencing, bird dogs

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:58 PM

Thanks Alan.. Will try the tension out...

#4 B Finnigan

B Finnigan
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Physical rehab, blade forging, machining, woodworking, hiking, mountain biking, home brewing, coffee roasting and photography.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

That will work if the switch is rated for the load either motor will pull. Use a multi-tester to make sure you have the connections correct so you don't turn the switch on to a dead short or a double feed to both motors at the same time. And make sure all the connections are insulated. That is actually a good idea considering you would never be running both machines at the same time. Cuts down cost and saves space. Obviously if your VFD blows you won't have either grinder working.
Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

#5 Wayne Coe

Wayne Coe
  • Members
  • 236 posts
  • Interests:I am an Artist Blacksmith who makes a few knives. I have been blacksmithing since 2000. I build and sell 2"X72" belt grinders and disk grinders. I also sell motors and VFDs as well as supplies for building forges as well as other items of interest to blacksmiths and bladesmiths. I will be posting on the Tail Gate area soon.
    I am active on Knife Dogs Forum and own a forum there. I decided to register here because I got an e-mail from a member stating that he had seen a post mentioning me.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:11 AM

The switch will be after the VFD so it woulld take feed back to effect the VFD. Scott, let me know how it works out and where and how much was the switch.

Wayne Coe
Artist Blacksmith
729Peters Ford Road
Sunbright, Tennessee
423-628-6444
waynecoe@highland.net
www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com

#6 Scott A. Roush

Scott A. Roush

Bladesmith

• Members
  • 2,483 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

Thanks a lot...

How do you insulate the connections??? Electricity is a black hole for me. I do know that the switch is on/off/on.. so there is no way to run both machines at the same time.

#7 B Finnigan

B Finnigan
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Physical rehab, blade forging, machining, woodworking, hiking, mountain biking, home brewing, coffee roasting and photography.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

Heat shrink tubing works the best and has a clean look but regular electrical tape will do. The switch may have electrical spade tabs so you go to the hardware or auto parts store and get the right sized female connectors. Those will allow you to plug and unplug the wires to the switch.

I use the full sleeve connectors if there is higher current involved. You will also need a crimping tool but they are not too expensive.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users