Bader B2 grinder help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 JDWare

JDWare
  • Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 04:29 PM

I have an older Bader B2 Grinder that I'd like to improve. I've heard that a new spring will help the tracking. To me the biggest difficulty is the tool arm. It is round on the end, and is inserted into a round hole - there are no guides to make sure it is aligned properly. So each time you change the arm, it's a little bit of a game to get it properly oriented. I'm thinking of a tool arm mounting like the new Baders or KMG's - that take a square tool arm. Has anyone done this modification? Or have any other tips, ideas or mods?
J

JDWARE KNIVES

#2 shawn patterson

shawn patterson
  • Members
  • 440 posts
  • Interests:family, friends, hiking, music, pets, Kun Tao Dumpag, JKD, buying tools i cant afford. HAMMERS

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:20 PM

A level and a square wouldnt get you square on bothends?

#3 WmHorus

WmHorus
  • Members
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Alot

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:21 AM

Here is the response I was given when I asked the same question more or less.

Howard Clark makes a fix

http://www.mvforge.c...aderspring.html

An email to him may turn up other answers as well.
just use common sense.......dude your boned

#4 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,641 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 14 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

Engrave an index mark on both the arm and the receiver? A guy I know put a pair of centerpunch marks on his so he could line it up easier. Maybe bolt an indicator pointer on the receiver and scribe a line on the arm?

I had only ever seen a B2 and a Square Wheel before I saw my first KMG, thus my purchase of a KMG as soon as I could afford it. ;) Nothing wrong with either of those others, of course.

#5 Howard Clark

Howard Clark
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 01:05 PM

The demand for that spring kit dropped to zero for a long time. There has lately been a resurgence in interest from a couple of people. I do still have all the tooling to make them, but unless there is enough interest to sell at least a half dozen of them I cannot afford to stop regular work to produce them. It does not fix everything, every time, regarding the tracking of your Bader B-1 bench model grinder. It is, however, a serious improvement at has a good deal more tension on the belt if you want to set it up that way.

I have one interested party right now. PM me here if you are also interested. We will see.

I also use a 1" air cylinder as belt tension on one of my grinders. If you have shop air, it works a treat.

#6 Patrick Hastings

Patrick Hastings
  • Supporting Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:08 AM

The demand for that spring kit dropped to zero for a long time. There has lately been a resurgence in interest from a couple of people. I do still have all the tooling to make them, but unless there is enough interest to sell at least a half dozen of them I cannot afford to stop regular work to produce them. It does not fix everything, every time, regarding the tracking of your Bader B-1 bench model grinder. It is, however, a serious improvement at has a good deal more tension on the belt if you want to set it up that way.

I have one interested party right now. PM me here if you are also interested. We will see.

I also use a 1" air cylinder as belt tension on one of my grinders. If you have shop air, it works a treat.

Howard would you mind elaborating on the cylinder set up. Where did you get it and what model is it? Is the control system for it something simple ie a pressure regulator and a ball valve? I saw a grinder set up with this many years ago at blade, I think it was the same show where I first met you and your dirty sculpture :P
Patrick B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users