Photo

Why do blacksmiths use a post vice rather than a conventional vise?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:36 PM

What is the reason blacksmiths use a post vice rather than a conventional vice? I am sure that there is a reason, I just can't figure it out.

I have several conventional vices that I could mount on any kind of stand. What would I gain from a post vice?

#2 jake cleland

jake cleland
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,160 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:40 PM

conventional vises really don't stand up to heavy forging operations - they're not designed for the hammering and bending forces that post vises are regularly subjected to, plus the jaws tend to be hardened and can crack from a stray hammer blow.
Jake Cleland - Skye Knives
www.knifemaker.co.uk
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

#3 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:44 PM

Okay, thanks. Does the stand up nature of the post vice lend itself to being stronger in the twisting?

#4 Greg Thomas Obach

Greg Thomas Obach
  • Members
  • 3,473 posts
  • Interests:steel forgings, melting steel and iron

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

yes

leg vise is bolted to the table or post... twistin is no prob
leg vise are almost alway made of wrought iron or mild iron ...

so far conventional vises that i've run up on are mostly cast iron ... good for boat anchors or use for hand filing blades

just look at the size of the acme screw on a 4 inch leg and compare it to a conv vise... tells alot

G

#5 pieter-pauld

pieter-pauld
  • Members
  • 150 posts
  • Interests:bladesmithing, swords, history, blacksmithing,
    death and black metal, playing bass, doing metal vocals and reading fantasy books.

Posted 01 August 2012 - 02:18 PM

also a post vice is in direct contact with te ground, making it behave a bit like an anvil and giving it a bit of rebound.
this is what i learnt anyway.
These knives we make are totally unnecessary, the methods we struggle to learn are completely anachronistic, the passion we feel for what can only be seen as dirty, dangerous and hard labor is absurd, if it were not for the times we live in and now, now they represent something real, something tangible in a world that has lost touch with reality. Don Fogg

#6 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,644 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:02 PM

On top of all the above, a post vise is designed so the screw is free-floating in the frame, and thus takes no shear forces when hammered on. A regular bench vise is held together entirely by the screw, which takes all the load no matter what.

#7 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 03:32 PM

See, I knew that all you experts would have the answer!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users