• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 JPH

JPH
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 03:42 AM

Hello:

Ok..here we got.one of the last of my Japanese series... This one is for me... Water quenched 1060 Yari with a tri-angular cross section..Blade length is 17 3/8" long on the cutting edge and OAL of 36 1/4". The blade flat has one hand scraped Bo-Hi and both sides show a very active Hamon. This is a water quenced blade and keeping this #$^%^&!ng thing straight in the quench was a realy PITA...I cracked 3 of these before I got this one right.

The most difficult part of this was making the Habaki, This was made from 4 seperate pieces hard soldered together and fitted to the nakago. The next step is to laminate up the shafting and fitting it all together. I am thing of a shaft between 5 to 6 to 6 1/2 feet in length with a butt spike.

I am still more or less working one handed and am awating the call for my surgery...I will be so happy to get this over and done with.

Anyway this is a monster of a Yari point and after this one is done I will be tackling that naginata I did last year.

The habaki may get a hammer toned/peined finish (haven't decided just yet on that) to make it interesting and it is made from 4 pieces of phosphor bronze hard soldered together. I think it turned out pretty good...Very frustrating to do but it worked out better than I had hoped.

Thought I would share.

Hope the photos turn out...

JPH

Attached Images

• DSC01903A.jpg
  • DSC01902A.jpg
  • DSC01908A.jpg
  • DSC01909A.jpg
  • DSC01912A.jpg
  • DSC01913A.jpg
  • DSC01919A.jpg
  • DSC01921A.jpg
  • DSC01914A.jpg
  • DSC01915A.jpg
  • DSC01916A.jpg

Edited by JPH, 23 September 2012 - 02:22 PM.

#2 PMARTINKNIVES

PMARTINKNIVES
  • Members
  • 969 posts
  • Interests:FORGED BLADES, DAMASCUS PATTERNS, SWORDS AND KNIVES OF ALL KINDS

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

Very cool! Looking forward to see more of this WIP.

Peter

#3 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,641 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:40 AM

Dang, Jim, I don't know how you kept that thing straight... :blink:

Very cool indeed, love the utsuri that's showing up near the habaki.

#4 JJ Simon

JJ Simon
  • Supporting Member
  • 933 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:20 AM

That is one of the coolest things I've seen all year.
Awesome

#5 SBranson

SBranson
  • Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

This is fantastic. I have been dying to try one but boy you sure did a great job. That habaki is great!

Edited by SBranson, 23 September 2012 - 12:13 PM.

- Stuart
www.sbransonknives.com

#6 WmHorus

WmHorus
  • Members
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Alot

Posted 23 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

Absolutely beautiful Doc
just use common sense.......dude your boned

#7 JPH

JPH
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:20 PM

Thank you..I dunno which gave me more heartache..the blade or that %$%$#!#$ing habaki.

Actually the Habaki wasn't all that bad but with the hand being the way it is, it was very frustrating. I can grip but it's not at all steady or consistant. The sawbones say the last surgery will help to correct that. I tell ya I am looking aty going totally bionic here ( call me the $6.95 man cause I am chea...no..um FRUGAL..yeah that's the word...Frugal...)

Anyway the first three when I quenched all cracked..two of which came apart. That dreaded "Tink of Death" is heartbreaking but the last one worked..I upped the temp on the brine to a tad over 220 degrees... and quenched at just a shade over dark red (around 1575ish) straight down..

I also think that praying to Ekki-Gumma..the ancient God of all things difficult helped..along with holding your tongue in the exact, proper position while your spincter is puckering also contributed.

Now the clay I used was some of that AP Green 3600 that Bob Engnath and I have been using since the early 1980's..but I held in on with some concrete tie wire wrapped into the clay spiralling down the blade length ways. We got that idea from Kuzan Oda many, many years ago. This helps to keep the clay where ya want it...

The little dab of utsuri was an "accident"..Whish I had more accidents like that.

Anyway I a still pondering whether or not to hammer pein the habaki. It should survive the stress of the peining as it is hard soldered together (4 piecs clamped and a rosebud tip are a wonderful thing for that) but maybe some file work?? Or some of both?? I haven't made up my mind as yet on that. Will post pics of the hafting work this next week..if ya all are interested...

JPH

Edited by JPH, 23 September 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#8 Doug Lester

Doug Lester
  • Members
  • 3,050 posts
  • Interests:knives, swords, history

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:39 PM

Great work and I'm glad to see your sense of humor showing through on your post. One other thing, just for the uninitiated, what the heck is an utsuri?

Doug
HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

#9 JPH

JPH
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:41 PM

Doug:

Do not be so brash as to call down the wrath of the great Ekki-Gumma....His wrath is horrible and The Exaulted Ekki-Gumma is also quite creative...you risk the threat of never ever finding a parking space even remotely close to where you are going...I suggest you make ammends promptly before Ekki-Gumma awakens and you feel the ire of his greatness...

On the utsuri..

If you look at the 5th pic from the top..on the Hamon (top hamon) next to the habaki you will see some "squiggle lines"..That is Utsuri. Something very desireable in a Hamon..shows alot of activity going on. I just wish there was more of it. But what the heck..I am just happy that it came out straight and in once piece without the dreaded "Death Tink"...I hate that sound...

The habaki was a piece of work...now I got to figure out how to dress it up so it looks spiffy...

JPH (High Priest of the Temple of Ekki-Gumma...All hail Ekki-Gumma...)

Edited by JPH, 23 September 2012 - 09:42 PM.

#10 Mark Green

Mark Green
  • Members
  • 1,734 posts
  • Interests:Knight, and Laurel of the SCA, Making Tsuba, learning to make, and forge iron/steel. History, Shooting, learning new stuff.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:53 AM

Wonderful, Jim!!!

Just wondering? Why the habaki, and not just the nice multi sided, flared, neck, of a normal yari?

I don't think I have ever seen a habaki on a yari. Yours is very cool, and great looking. Just wondering?

Wonderful, long! su-yari. Great job.

Mark
Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?
(cptn. Mal)

#11 matt venier

matt venier
  • Supporting Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 12:18 PM

C'mon Mark the chance to get to make not one, but TWO machigane! I'm all warm and fuzzy just thinking about it! :lol:

Matt

There's no kissaki like an O-kissaki!

http://www.venierdes...c./Welcome.html

#12 JPH

JPH
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Hello:

On the Habaki: Simple answer...Why not be different?? Why do what has been done thousands of times before when you can go off in a different direction and have some fun?? (Like that habaki was all that much "fun" but I learned a bit from it so that is good...) I am just happy as a clam that the blade stayed together and straight without cracking. The next few days I get to haft the beast and that will prove to be an experience cause wood working and I do NOT get along.... (Why do they call it iron wood when you can't forge it?? Talk about red short...)

Back to the habaki..I am experimenting now with making them from three pieces instead of folding a single sheet over and then doing the seam...Not traditional I know but as I said..I never said I was doing "traditional" work..besides this opens up all kinds of options....

JPH

#13 Mark Green

Mark Green
  • Members
  • 1,734 posts
  • Interests:Knight, and Laurel of the SCA, Making Tsuba, learning to make, and forge iron/steel. History, Shooting, learning new stuff.

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:03 PM

Cool, the habaki looks very good, and may help hold any cover tight. That is always a big problem with yari.

I love long Su-yari, or yari of any kind for that matter. :rolleyes:

Mark
Mark Green

I have a way? Is that better then a plan?
(cptn. Mal)

#14 Gary Mulkey

Gary Mulkey
  • Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 07:55 PM

Anyway the first three when I quenched all cracked..two of which came apart. That dreaded "Tink of Death" is heartbreaking but the last one worked..I upped the temp on the brine to a tad over 220 degrees... and quenched at just a shade over dark red (around 1575ish) straight down..

JPH

Quality always comes at a price. WELL DONE! LOVE THE HAMON!

Gary
Gary
ABS,AKA,KGA

#15 JPH

JPH
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:45 AM

Gary:

Well you do have a point but at what price is one willing to stop paying??

I mean over the 40+ years I have been doing this..I must of ruined/destroyed and/or FUBAR'd 1000's of blades... and I still am learning. I guess the Wise Man was right when he said "NO ONE knows it all...".

OK..granted I will say this: I pretty much "play dumb" when it comes to a lot of different things.... I have found that it is, on the most part.."better" that way.... I have made waaay more than my own "fair share" of mistakes and I have gotten away with some pretty scarey things that I wouldn't advise others to do..BUT...be that as it may....I just chalk it all up to experience and being "lucky"... I will admit that I have NO talent when it comes to this stuff..I just have skills..and there is a difference...

Now if there is an interest I will continue this post on how I will be hafting this Yari point..all ya'all have to do is let me know that ya'all are interested in how I do it...

I will say that the way I do this sort of spear/naginata hafting IS NOT "traditional" at all..but the results I get from my techniques are, at least to me, and my own end use.... excellent... So ya'all just let me know..and I'll continue this thread with the hafting/shafting...

JPH

Edited by JPH, 25 September 2012 - 03:48 AM.

#16 matt venier

matt venier
  • Supporting Member
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 06:31 AM

Please keep posting Jim, whether traditional or not it's great to see how people do things. It's also getting me a little motivated to work on the yari I've been fooling around with for a few years and a few unsuccessful quenches (parks50 not water) OH BOY the shapes that thing has come out of the quench with :o

Matt

PS mine going to have a habaki also due to confusion during forging not really by choice.

Edited by matt venier, 25 September 2012 - 06:32 AM.

There's no kissaki like an O-kissaki!

http://www.venierdes...c./Welcome.html

#17 Gary Mulkey

Gary Mulkey
  • Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:07 AM

Gary:

Well you do have a point but at what price is one willing to stop paying??

I mean over the 40+ years I have been doing this..I must of ruined/destroyed and/or FUBAR'd 1000's of blades... and I still am learning. I guess the Wise Man was right when he said "NO ONE knows it all...".

JPH

I guess that it all comes down to what are you willing to risk in order to achieve "that little bit extra". We both know that you could have quenched differently with little or no risk but the result wouldn't give you the same end product. Besides, the challenge & reward of not knowing the exact result & outcome adds something to it don't you think?

Gary
Gary
ABS,AKA,KGA

#18 Mike Sheffield

Mike Sheffield
  • Members
  • 996 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, knives, swords, martial arts, and my family

Posted 25 September 2012 - 11:34 AM

Lol red short LOL Damn I needed that. Whew my side hurts. It's Looking sweet.

Edited by Mike Sheffield, 25 September 2012 - 11:35 AM.

My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward. I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

#19 JPH

JPH
  • Members
  • 658 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 09:57 PM

I guess that it all comes down to what are you willing to risk in order to achieve "that little bit extra". We both know that you could have quenched differently with little or no risk but the result wouldn't give you the same end product. Besides, the challenge & reward of not knowing the exact result & outcome adds something to it don't you think?

Gary

Gary: Like I said.....where's the "fun" in "playing it safe" and doing the same thing over and over again?? I mean if we all did that we'd still be living in caves...(not that there is anything wrong with living in a cave...)

I am just happy that this one worked. Will be playing with it as best as I can..expecting the final call from the surgeon any day now.. So if I vanish for a while you all know why...

JPH

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users