Photo

One More Time - Which Abrasive Belts Should I Get?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 08:06 AM

I know that this has probaly been bandied about many many times.  But I am almost done with my Grinder in A Box by Polar Bear Forge.  Yippee!

What belts should I consider buying and where should I buy them.

If it matters, I am forging 5160, 4140, W1,2, etc.  Nothing too crazy.

going to run 2X72 belts although I think I could go up to 2x96 with this grinder.  It has an adjustable arm.

#2 GBrackett

GBrackett
  • Members
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, leathercrafting, firearms, cooking, and photography.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 09:17 AM

Stick with 2x72 belts. I get mine from Super Grit . com. They have a large assortment, good prices, and great customer service. Fast delivery at a low cost of shipping. If you don't see it on their site call them.

I buy in ceramic; 36, 50,120, & 220, for steel. For handle material I get zirconia belts normally in; 50, 120, 220, 320, 400, & 600. For sharpening I get black silicone carbide in; 320, 400, & 800. I also get some other specialty belts which are very specific in use. I recently got a couple of 36 grit zirconia ones to use when making horse mat handles for a small utility line of knives I am doing.

The finish of my work is done mainly by hand sanding and that's a whole new world.

PS: I use ceramic because they last longer, and cut better.

Edited by GBrackett, 07 July 2013 - 09:29 AM.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

#3 Doug Lester

Doug Lester
  • Members
  • 3,069 posts
  • Interests:knives, swords, history

Posted 07 July 2013 - 02:32 PM

I like the Norton Norzon plus Zirconia blue belts up to 220 grit then I switch to 3M micron belts for 400 and 600 grit.  If I go past that I resort to hand sanding lubricated with WD-40.  I think both Super Grit and USA Knife Maker Supply carry both.

Doug

HELP...I'm a twenty year old trapped in the body of an old man!!!

#4 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 04:13 PM

I pretty much hand sanded my first and only knife, so i'm not above hand sanding.  I am however excited about being able to shape my knives faster after forging.  My little Home Depot 4X36in wood belt sander was killing me.

Hopefully my wheels will arrive in the next two weeks. 

#5 GBrackett

GBrackett
  • Members
  • 583 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, leathercrafting, firearms, cooking, and photography.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:36 PM

I was happy too when my clone 2x72 arrived. It makes a great difference in the way you work and the final product you get. When I hand sand I use Mobil One 5w40 as my lube. Works very well with a minimum of effort.

My favorite tool on my grinder is my small wheel adapter with a 3/4" wheel. I use it for tight curves and to texture handles.

”Whoever pursues righteousness and love finds life, prosperity, and honor!”

George Brackett

American Bladesmith's Society,

Apprentice Member

Hialeah, Florida

Blademark photo 375x75BladeMarkPunch-125-sm_zps2e740d6d.jpg

#6 Jim P

Jim P
  • Supporting Member
  • 822 posts
  • Interests:Making knives,shooting muzzleloaders,fly fishing,hunting quail. Celtic music.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 10:40 PM

I just bought some of the blue Norton zirconia coarse belts they're good and not too expensive.

#7 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 11:54 PM

I'm just beginning to understand the freedom that this GIB will allow me. I bought both platens. The standard platen and the adjustable platen that will have an 8 in contact wheel and 2 in idler wheel. I like the small wheel idea. Have to look into that.

#8 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 July 2013 - 01:40 PM

Wheels have been ordered and belts have been ordered.  

Now to pick up my motor and await for packages so I can finally assemble this grinder.  

Look out world, here I come!

#9 R. Yates

R. Yates
  • Members
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:Knife making , customizing and shooting pistols and rifles forging outside the box Guarding veggies, Farming , old school ways , home schooling .

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:01 PM

I should have Photos of my KMG Type Grinder Posted very soon as soon as I find my camera that is . It is finished with a 2 HP motor and a VSD controller /Converter it can be run a .1 Hz and up to 60 Hz or roughly 50 Belt feet per min and up to 18,000 + Belt feet per min giving me a vast range of Grinding abilities with my New Grinder .  being able to Grind Bone, Stone, Wood, Steel and Any type of materials as needed I am very ecstatic with the new build .

Sam

Photos coming very soon !

Robert D. Yates , 13 & On Forge

#10 Doug Ward

Doug Ward
  • Members
  • 124 posts
  • Location:now ? Costaragua.When I head to the house Costa Rica.
  • Interests:Interesting thingz.

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:14 PM

Call pops or custom sanding belts daught kom.

They'll set you straight.

Any arguments from my broze in metal dust ?

Yup. None

Forget than nitwit in Texas ! UH OH. No specifics Sparkster. I follow " Da rulez" ;-)~

#11 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:02 PM

Look what just arrived. I am ready to get profiling. I'm so excited.

#12 R. Yates

R. Yates
  • Members
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:Knife making , customizing and shooting pistols and rifles forging outside the box Guarding veggies, Farming , old school ways , home schooling .

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

Very cool you are going to have so much fun ... and keep them fingers clear of them belts on the grinder <Grins> !

Sam

Robert D. Yates , 13 & On Forge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users