Photo

hand tools only how to file a convex edge?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bruce

bruce
  • Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 07 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

i use a sidegrinder & files i have a belt sander for wood scales anyone know if i can make convex edges without a belt grinder?

#2 Caleb Harris

Caleb Harris
  • Members
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Gems, Minerals, Bladesmithing, Archery, Metals, Violin, Writing, and my Savior.

Posted 07 July 2013 - 06:20 PM

Do you mean concave or convex? Convex grinds generally are easy to do on accident, as well as on purpose. Just rocking the file as you push will give it a convex grind. For a concave grind, I just do the majority of the grind flat using files, then use an angle grinder at about a ten degree angle with the blade to hollow grind; the wheel dips in, so depending on the angle with the blade, you can get a dramatic convex grind, or nearly flat.

-Caleb Harris, 14 year old bladesmith and silversmith/jeweler. He is hungry for tools and knowledge. Whatever this^ says, it's probably asking for one or the other or how to get it. Proverbs 22:29 “Do you see a man skillful in his work? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men.”

#3 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,644 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 08 July 2013 - 09:05 AM

Pretty much what Caleb said.  To get the "appleseed" edge just roll the file during the stroke.  The hard part is keeping it consistant. 

#4 Matthew Parkinson

Matthew Parkinson
  • Members
  • 571 posts
  • Interests:sword making , black smithing, knife making, Sci fi books , motorcycles.

Posted 08 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

try finishing with stones rather than paper I have been doing a lot of the final shaping of the edges with stones after heat treat sort of rolling the stone down and polishing to an edge.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users