Photo

Cullen's Knife: Experiment with Wolf's Tooth Pattern WIP

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 nprovos

nprovos
  • Super Administrators
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:computer and network security, blacksmithing, martial arts, and lots of reading.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Here is my first experiment with the Wolf's Tooth pattern.  1000 layers of 1095/15n20 from the end of a billet and W1 for the cutting edge.      I'll finish it with a simple copper bolster and wood handle.   Unfortunately, there is a little welding flaw that did not grind out.

CullensKnife 3.jpg

CullensKnife 4.jpg

CullensKnife 2.jpg

Let me know what you think.  

Niels

#2 Kip Kaiser

Kip Kaiser
  • Members
  • 1,127 posts
  • Interests:Knife making
    Learning blacksmithing
    Hot glass
    Woodworking
    Camping
    Fishing
    Hunting
    and being in the mountains
    with my Wife and Kids

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:11 PM

i think it looks awesome, as to the weld flaw I say rustic charm no charge!!!

Kip

Edited by Kip Kaiser, 24 August 2013 - 10:11 PM.

A man is no better than his word! Check out the web site @ http://kaisercustomknives.com

#3 Luke Shearer

Luke Shearer
  • Members
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:swordsmithing, Celtic and Norse culture, history, philosophy, running, bush craft, logic, chess,etc.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:56 PM

Nice! Is it all forged in, then?

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Knotted Wyrm- my blog

#4 nprovos

nprovos
  • Super Administrators
  • 458 posts
  • Interests:computer and network security, blacksmithing, martial arts, and lots of reading.

Posted 24 August 2013 - 11:58 PM

Yes, I forged the teeth on both sides and then matched them by extra fullering where the spacing was off.

#5 D.Kraft

D.Kraft
  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:History, Sword´s and how to make them. japanese culture and too much other stuff

Posted 25 August 2013 - 05:03 AM

nice for the first try.
And if you really don´t like the welding flaw.

xpost-26610-0-66822500-1377394605.jpg.pagespeed.ic.AGo84wHQci.jpg

I think it will still looking good.

#6 Kevin (The Professor)

Kevin (The Professor)
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,994 posts
  • Interests:reading, Psychology, law, public policy (teaching people to get along, take care of one-another, and not destroy the planet in the process). Bladesmithing, Outdoors stuff of all types, esp. camping and ecology, exercise, cooking. Dogs and Cats.

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:38 AM

good stuff, Niels. I think I would grind the weld flaw out as suggested, but it is not a big issue if you don't. Not in this sort of piece, anyway.

please visit my website: www.professorsforge.com

“Years ago I recognized my kinship with all living things, and I made up my mind that I was not one bit better than the meanest on the earth. I said then and I say now, that while there is a lower class, I am in it; while there is a criminal element, I am of it; while there is a soul in prison, I am not free.” E. V. Debs

#7 John Page

John Page
  • Members
  • 1,952 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, blacksmithing, medieval history, Norse mythology, archery, cartography

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:29 AM

I really like the 'eye' in the middle. Depending on where it's going, I like the weld flaw. It adds to the charm, at least to me (but I totally understand wanting nothing to do with it!).

John

“Not all those who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien

-Shards of the Dark Age- my blog
-Last Apocalypse Forge-

#8 nprovos

nprovos
  • Super Administrators
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:56 AM

It's sort of a catch-22.    I am not happy about the welding flaw but I would also not be happy with the taper after regrinding the profile ;-)    I might try to fill it with low-temperature silver solder.

Niels.

#9 hansjohannsen

hansjohannsen
  • Members
  • 113 posts
  • Interests:Makin Stuff!
    Wood,Metal,Plastic,Cloth,Flesh,veggies,

Posted 25 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

That high layer count pattern is great contrast to the w-2! Slick profile
Thanks

#10 nprovos

nprovos
  • Super Administrators
  • 458 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 08:01 PM

I documented the repair process, i.e. filling the welding flaw with low temperature silver solder, in my inaugural Forge Diaries: Episode 1 on Youtube:

The motivation behind the Forge Diaries is to allow me to post more frequently video updates while I work on larger projects.   They are supposed to be rough and unpolished.   And I intend to show failures as well as successes.    

Let me know what you think.

Niels.

#11 MLenaghan

MLenaghan
  • Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 09:02 PM

I love your Video's Niels, going to follow them for sure!   you say rough and unpolished but I still think it's really well done and wish I could do something half that nice :wacko:

-Michael Lenaghan

#12 Patrick Brown

Patrick Brown
  • Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:08 PM

Sweet blade, and the video was great. Thank you for sharing your process.

#13 Scott A. Roush

Scott A. Roush

Bladesmith

• Members
  • 2,483 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmith, traditional archery, living history, brewing mead and beer, wood, fencing, bird dogs

Posted 17 September 2013 - 02:56 PM

Beautiful blade Niels.... Love the high layer spine.

The little weld doesn't bother me as much as that big .. eye as John called it. What happened there? Almost looks like it had a dab of clay....

#14 nprovos

nprovos
  • Super Administrators
  • 458 posts

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:47 PM

It's some kind of differential hardening effect.   There are more subtle shadows around the other teeth.   It also looks like there might be some alloy banding.    Not really sure.    I get some of these artifacts every time I quench W1 in oil.

Niels.

#15 nprovos

nprovos
  • Super Administrators
  • 458 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:48 PM

After coming back from Axe & Sax in Oakland, I had to try the wolf's tooth approach that Owen Bush demonstrated. Here is the first experimental billet - before and after forge welding:

wolfstooth1.jpg

wolfstooth2.jpg

The teeth are from wrought iron and the four twisted bars were from scraps I had lying around.

Niels

#16 ZebDeming

ZebDeming
  • Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:27 PM

Wow, very nice Niels!

#17 Miles Hebbard

Miles Hebbard
  • Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Blades of all types/sizes
    Cooking
    Music Classic Rock
    Hunting hiking
    And good beer!

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:44 PM

Mmmm,flaw? If I could do that half as well I'D be happy, (one of these days I'll post some of my flaws!)
To become old and wise... You first have to survive being young and foolish! ;) Ikisu.blogsot.com. Email; milesikisu@gmail.com mobile: +27784653651

#18 John F. Ellis

John F. Ellis
  • Members
  • 506 posts
  • Interests:Metalworking, woodworking, parkour, survival skills, etc.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

Really cool wolf's tooth there! (both of them  ;) )

My website-

Dunstan Forge

#19 Luke Shearer

Luke Shearer
  • Members
  • 966 posts
  • Interests:swordsmithing, Celtic and Norse culture, history, philosophy, running, bush craft, logic, chess,etc.

Posted 26 January 2014 - 06:00 PM

Wow, that is stunning. How did you cut the teeth in the parent (edge) bar? I like how exaggerated the teeth are. If I remember right, Owen's were maybe half that length!

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Knotted Wyrm- my blog

#20 MLenaghan

MLenaghan
  • Members
  • 526 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 07:27 PM

Very nice,    I kinda wanna know what it's gonna become? and if you forge the bevels in... if the teeth will get stretched out even more :D  hehe twisted fang Seax!

-Michael Lenaghan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users