Photo

Wilderness Pack Axe

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Burns

Robert Burns
  • Members
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:scottish highland games, bladesmithing, blacksmithing, adventure sports

Posted 02 December 2013 - 06:59 PM

I just finished up the second in my line of "Wilderness Axes" this one being a pack axe hence the name. This is a fun little axe and it was a fun project to make. Axes really do have their simple pleasures and they are fast to make too! In any case this axe was wrapped and welded with a 1084 bit to a mild steel body. The head measures 7 inches long with a 4 inch cutting edge. The handle is hickory and measures 19 inches long at 1.5 pounds. Unfortunately it started to rain before I was able to get any pictures of the axe with its sheath. Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking.

Robert Burns

#2 N. Runals

N. Runals
  • Members
  • 622 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 07:39 PM

That looks great Robert! Lovely fit and finish. The geometry looks pretty good, the only critique I have to offer is that  the bottom end of the cutting edge (the beard side) maybe should not be so far back towards the handle. This may be just personal prefrence though. :) Great axe!

Edited by N. Runals, 02 December 2013 - 07:39 PM.

#3 Jim P

Jim P
  • Supporting Member
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:Making knives,shooting muzzleloaders,fly fishing,hunting quail. Celtic music.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Nice one.

#4 Phil Ullrich

Phil Ullrich
  • Members
  • 725 posts
  • Interests:Old European blade styles, wilderness activities, long distance running.

Posted 02 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

I think that's a lovely axe.  Maker's mark really impressive.

I have always thought that one man of tolerable abilities may work great changes, and accomplish great affairs among mankind, if he first forms a good plan....
- Benjamin Franklin

#5 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,639 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yep, that'll do.  B)

#6 Luke Shearer

Luke Shearer
  • Members
  • 978 posts
  • Interests:swordsmithing, Celtic and Norse culture, history, philosophy, running, bush craft, logic, chess,etc.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:41 PM

Awesome work, man

“Then something Tookish woke up inside him, and he wished to go and see the great mountains, and hear the pine-trees and the waterfalls, and explore the caves, and wear a sword instead of a walking-stick.”

Knotted Wyrm- my blog

#7 John F. Ellis

John F. Ellis
  • Members
  • 572 posts
  • Interests:Metalworking, woodworking, parkour, survival skills, etc.

Posted 03 December 2013 - 12:46 PM

Really nice!

My website-

Dunstan Forge

#8 Robert Burns

Robert Burns
  • Members
  • 424 posts
  • Interests:scottish highland games, bladesmithing, blacksmithing, adventure sports

Posted 04 December 2013 - 08:40 AM

Thanks everyone :) Nate, as far as the beard drop goes I'd probably like to bring it back some on the next one but having it swept in like that does make it helpful for carving projects like making bowls. The customer lows to carve and so I brought the beard down a bit more so he could more easily fit into tight spots. He is getting an adze as well so I think this will probably just be for clean up work/ large roughing out.

#9 Krateros

Krateros
  • Members
  • 209 posts
  • Interests:BLADESMITHING,BLACKSMITHING,WOODWORKING

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:20 AM

awesome axe!!!!

#10 Robert Burns

Robert Burns
  • Members
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thanks Krateros!

#11 Brandon Buford

Brandon Buford
  • Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 06:39 PM

When wrapping for an axe as opposed to a hawk, do you use a drift? Is it a drift you made or bought?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users