Photo

T-Rex burners , good idea?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Alex Roy

Alex Roy
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Welding (TIG/Stick), Woodworking, Brazilian Portuguese, Poetry, Women & Food. (Do I really need to say bladesmithing?)

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:26 PM

i am planning on getting a T-Rex burner for my forge ( 13 inch long, ID is 6"), i have a regulator, and i was wondering if fuel consumption to BTU output is good. Or is it over kill, my forge will be for general forging and welding.
Watch out, life will kill you if your not careful

#2 Kristopher Skelton

Kristopher Skelton
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:fire, metal, beer, meat, lifting heavy things...

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:59 PM

Which burner- the 3/4, 1" or 1-1/4"? What size propane tank are you using and what kind of regulator do you have? IIRC the 1" run at about 4-6PSI avg and weld at closer to 12PSI (but I could be wrong). I'm on about 2 PSI with a fan and my tank will freeze after an hour if it gets below half full. I imagine that the problem would be compounded by switching to a burner that needs more pressure. Lotsa folks swear by them, especially since the past couple of years have shown major improvements in efficiency, but I'm too cheap to go buy a 10+ gallon tank and a real regulator (like on an oxy-acet welding rig) :D

Edited by Kristopher Skelton, 23 January 2006 - 10:00 PM.

Kristopher Skelton, M.A.

"There was never a good knife made from bad steel"
A quiet person will perish ~ Basotho Proverb

#3 B. Norris

B. Norris
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 11:46 PM

I have the 1/2" Shorty Burner in my horizontal forge, about the same interior volume as your forge. IMHOP, the burner is too much for my forge. I end up having to crank the PSI up to get an adequate temperature inside the forge because all my heat is getting blown out of the openings. After helping Jordan with his forge and building my Mini-Fogg forge I am completely enamored with Don's design. Both Jordan and I run our forges on this blower. http://www.surplusce...atname=electric
It provides ample air and doesn't blow all the heat right out the doors! Both Jordan and I are running off of standard barbeque requlators, the ones that are at a set PSI (I think 0.5 PSI). I have not tried welding in this forge and for that purpose a requlator that allows one to adjust the PSI would be necessary, I do not know if the 15CFM blower would be able to keep up or not. Don's forge has the added benefit of being easy to build and inexpensive. I figure that my blower and parts for my burner were about $25.00 total, my T-Rex burner cost me $100.00

What about the T-Rex burner has you decided to go that route? I went with a venturi forge on my first one because I liked the idea of being able to use it anywhere, power or no power but, mostly that is a non-issue. More and more I am finding that there is no one forge that will do it all. If I ever do welding I will build a forge just for that purpose, mainly to avoid using extra fuel to heat up all those nice, flux resistant refractories just to do general forging.
“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran
"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

#4 John Frankl

John Frankl
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:19 AM

The T-Rex is a great burner! I also have two of Don's design, which are also great. But I use the T-Rex on a drum forge for heat treating. It is infinitely adjustable. I can hold it plus or minus a few degrees at any temp I want for normalizing and hardening, and could easily get it to run down into the 300F range for tempering. I have not even explored its capabilities as a welding burner, though I am sure it is fine.

Mr. Norris, Are you interested in selling your shorty?

John Frankl

#5 DFogg

DFogg
  • Super Administrators
  • 2,814 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:05 AM

What size TRex are you using on the drum forge John and would you post a link please, thanks?

Don Fogg

#6 Alex Roy

Alex Roy
  • Members
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:Welding (TIG/Stick), Woodworking, Brazilian Portuguese, Poetry, Women & Food. (Do I really need to say bladesmithing?)

Posted 24 January 2006 - 06:13 AM

either Shorty of T-rex, depending which one you guys suggest.

#7 B. Norris

B. Norris
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Don, here is a link to the home page. http://www.hybridburners.com/

Mr. Frankl, hmmm. Had not even thought about it. I am about to build some new forges in a week or two and might be willing after that.

Do not get me wrong. The T-Rex is a great burner and, in fact, the forge I have it on is the one I use the most. I use up about a 20 lb. propane tank per 8-10 hrs. of use. I think I could get more efficiency but, I do not have an equivalent blown forge to compare it to. Perhaps I need to just accept that to reach the temperatures required for forging it will take a considerable amount of fuel. For me, having to refill a tank after one days work is limiting my forge time and my wife is not too enamored of it either. The expense is limiting my learning but, without getting some time in I cannot get any faster and get more work out of my fuel.

I have not used my Mini-Fogg forge enough to know how long it takes to burn through 20 lbs. of propane but, I suspect, it would be quite a while. That small a forge works well for doing paring knives and small tools, anything larger and I start getting impatient waiting for it to heat. The small forge will heat large stuff, it just takes 5 to 10 minutes to get up to heat. My plan is to build a larger, Fogg style, forge for bigger straight stuff and than D. Gentiles "Hellfire" forge for anything that requires a larger opening and welding.
“All work is empty save when there is love, for work is love made visible.” Kahlil Gibran
"It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them." - Alfred Adler

#8 John Frankl

John Frankl
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:38 AM

Don,

I am using the 3/4", though I am absolutely sure the 1/2" would do the trick.

I also know Howard Clark uses them on his high temp salt pots, or at least did the last time I read a post from him about them.

High temp, welding, etc. has never been a problem for me, but holding low temps has. This burner really will hold a candle flame steady as can be with no huffing.

John

#9 Alex Roy

Alex Roy
  • Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 10:19 AM

I was wondering, my forge is built for a forced air burner and im getting the T-Rex 3/4" , i was wondering if one would run into any trouble mounting a venturi paralel to the ground, because most i see are at about a 45 or 90 degree angle.

#10 B. Norris

B. Norris
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,484 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 04:03 PM

Should be no problem at all.

#11 Jesus Hernandez

Jesus Hernandez
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,486 posts
  • Interests:The Japanese sword, the falcata, photography, computers, learning anything new.

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:36 AM

I was wondering, my forge is built for a forced air burner and im getting the T-Rex 3/4" , i was wondering if one would run into any trouble mounting a venturi paralel to the ground, because most i see are at about a 45 or 90 degree angle.

View Post

Alex,

My HT forge uses the T-rex and the welding forge the 1incher. Both are mounted flat to the ground. No problem there.

Posted Image
www.JHBLADESMITH.com
初心忘れるべからず

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users