Knife Pommel/Guard casting

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 julian

julian
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 12:10 PM

Hi all, I'm new to this website, and also relatively new to bladesmithing. I've been wondering if anyone has tips on casting pommels and guards- I've always just forged the guards, and haven't had much to do with pommels. Thanks guys

Edited by julian, 29 April 2006 - 12:46 PM.

#2 McAhron

McAhron
  • Supporting Member
  • 352 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 09:44 PM

You can cast guards and other things with a variety of materials.There are many online recouces that cover the basics.Do a search on (lost wax casting) it is a fun way to cast.There are also many books,videos,dvd's on the subject as well as classes at places like rec centers and junior colleges.
N'T McAhron Sqwaukin Vulture Verrinder
"to create is to make art"
TREMBLING EARTH KNIFE WORKS (website coming soon)

#3 B Finnigan

B Finnigan
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Physical rehab, blade forging, machining, woodworking, hiking, mountain biking, home brewing, coffee roasting and photography.

Posted 09 May 2006 - 11:30 AM

Last summer I got a large box of graphite drop pieces and have been using them for casting molds. Graphite machines and carves real easy and holds up to many heatings. I have not done any guard or pommel casting yet.

Here are a couple casting projects I did a few weeks ago.

Lanyard ring and fastener

Copper machinist hammer

Bronze machinist hammer

Most of us allready have a forge and with a $16 graphite crucible and some mould material you can start casting. It is pretty cool playing with yellow hot molten metal. Kinda addicting to!!

Edited by B Finnigan, 09 May 2006 - 11:31 AM.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

#4 MARK L

MARK L
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 May 2006 - 12:13 AM

I just finished a quick experiment using stainless steel to make a re-usable precision mold for pommel and guard casting.
If you machine a shape (ie a rough pommel or guard) into a block of stainless and machine a matching lid that bolts down onto it then pour the metal into it from the side it seems to make a damn good cast, plus the finished product just falls right out once you unbolt it without having to destroy the mold. tried it with alluminium have to see if it works with other alloys.
i'll post pictures as soon as i can. hope this helps.
one newbie to another. :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users