5160 Tempering

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Ty Murch

Ty Murch
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:26 PM

Quick question: What will the Rockwell C hardness be of 5160 tempered at 475F, 500F, and 525F? Thanks

#2 kb0fhp

kb0fhp
  • Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 27 August 2006 - 07:28 PM

Standard metallurgist answer - it depends. But assuming a fully quenched structure, the hardness will be HRC 57 at 475F, HRC56 at 500F, and HRC55 at 525.....But there is some variation on chemistry, tester calibration, etc. I would expect that the hardness will in the range of 54-58. Differences of one HRC are not really statistically measureable or significant. Even using a calibrated test block of impecable quality, it is stil accurate to +/- 1 HRC - and most machines are +/- 1.5 the test block tolerance......

Hope I didn't cause you too many questions...

Scott
D. Scott MacKenzie, PhD
Heat Treating (Aluminum and Steel)
Quenching (Water, Polymer, Oil, Salt and Mar-Tempering)

#3 Brian Vanspeybroeck

Brian Vanspeybroeck
  • Members
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Electronics technician by trade, I make knives and swords, train and teach Japanese swordsmanship. I'm a dog lover and enjoy flight simulators as well.

Posted 30 August 2006 - 05:51 PM

As a guy who uses 5160 almost exclusively now I would add that acccording to my tests and experience Scott has nailed it. I temper my 5160 at between 350 and 475 depending on how it has been quenched and what I want. The standard that I had lab tested was to fully harden and temper at 475f and we called it 57-58 HRC.

Brian
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein

"The innovator is not an opponent of the old. He is a proponent of the new."
- Lyle E. Schaller

http://home.mchsi.co..._Edged_Art.html

#4 A Flor

A Flor
  • Members
  • 60 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing (natch), Blacksmithing, Computers and Ham Radio.<br />Restoration of ironwork and reproduction.<br />Restoration of antique radios from the 30's and 40's.<br />My particular personal interest in cutlery is Norsemen, Celtic, Fur Trade Era and modern fighters.<br />Most of my tools are hand made: tongs, forges, grinder, furnance and other tools..<br />My wife helps out in the shop and uses more gas than I do.....<br />: P

Posted 30 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

Brian and Scott hit it on the head.
Not that I'm echoing their thoughts, but I can only stress what they are saying.
Although alot of guides from steel companies can show a temp, remember this is a mean temperture for larger stock as it is rolled off the lines.
Smaller stock (like knives, small parts etc..) can be as much as 50-100 degree difference in my experience.
Also, as Brian pointed out, depending on how you harden can effect it (clay, full harden, edge harden).
Try tempering at 375 and raise it 25 degrees until you get the desired effect.
Everyones technique is different as well as what YOU want as a final result.
Experiment until you get it and "thats how you do it..".. :D
Good luck.

Josh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users