Photo

hamon making video

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Walter Sorrells

Walter Sorrells
  • Members
  • 658 posts
  • Interests:Guitar playing, martial arts, shooting -- well, I like pretty much anything that's pointy, on fire, or exploding.

Posted 15 November 2006 - 09:00 PM

I recently completed production on a DVD about how to make hamons. I've gotten a lot of emails requesting information about how I make my hamons, so I figured I'd make a video that explained my processes.

The video contains information about:
* Clay layout
* Heat treating
* Tools and Materials
* Sources of Supplies
* Reference Material

In the video you'll see close-up multi-angle footage of how I lay out clay for a variety of hamons including choji (clove blossom), suguha (straight), hitatsura (full temper), and a bunch of others. The focus of the video is on clay layout and technique, but there's also information about heat treating differentially hardened blades, as well as some information about my hybrid polishing methods. The stuff about heat treating and polishing is necessarily a little more superficial than the information about claying up blades -- but it's enough to get people started.

Length: 1 hour and 15 minutes

Price: $40 + shipping ($5 in North America or $10 international)

If anybody is interested in more details, just shoot me an email or check my site. I've also got DVDs available on other aspects of making Japanese blades -- including forging, polishing and mounting. Search Don's forum or check my site for more info.

Walter Sorrells
www.waltersorrells.com/blades
walter@waltersorrells.com

Edited by Walter Sorrells, 21 November 2009 - 04:33 PM.

Check out Walter's instructional videos:

Forging Japanese Style Blades
Making Hamons
Japanese Sword Mounting
Polishing
Making Japanese Sword Fittings

www.waltersorrellsblades.com

#2 John Frankl

John Frankl
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:53 PM

Okay, I'll reply here since I think Walter is doing a really cool thing.

I ordered today, and, judging by the photos Walter has posted in the past, I think I will be quite satisfied.

For the record, I really appreciate these sorts of efforts and want to support them so more people come out with DVDs/videos.

John

#3 jim bihn

jim bihn
  • Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 08:52 PM

I just got done watching my copy of Walter's video and I have to say that he did a great job in demystifying the subject of hamons. He had a lot of great info that I've never seen or heard anywhere else. And as always, you learn more from watching somone do something than by just reading about it.

My only complaint -- no gag reel!

Jim B

#4 Jens Butler

Jens Butler
  • Members
  • 273 posts
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, woodcarving, Vikings and old Dodge trucks

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:00 PM

I got mine today, Can't wait to watch it !!! Thanks Again Walter !!!

#5 Dan Kaschner

Dan Kaschner
  • Supporting Member
  • 112 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, blacksmithing, woodworking, leather work, computers and computer programming.

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:55 PM

Got mine a few days ago. Just have to find the time to watch it. Maybe over the weekend. Kind of chompin' at the bit.

Thanks Walter.

#6 S.Knowles

S.Knowles
  • Supporting Member
  • 138 posts
  • Interests:Knives and Damascus, Hunting, Drag racing my 87 mustang Coupe.

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:26 AM

Great video, Well done with abundant information! Thanks Walter!

#7 jake cleland

jake cleland
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,119 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:34 PM

got mine today, watched half of it and it's already well worth the price - watching someone doing this is infinitely more informative than reading about it, and walter is a great teacher, managing to lay out the basics without being condescending or talking down. now i'm just waiting for my 1095 from Don Hanson to arrive on monday (i had to pay a customs charge and the british post office is a joke) and i'll be putting this into practice. thanks walter - now you just have to make the polishing vid!
Jake Cleland - Skye Knives
www.knifemaker.co.uk
"We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them."
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler."
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

Albert Einstein

#8 cdent

cdent
  • Supporting Member
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:hobbyist

Posted 09 December 2006 - 03:11 AM

Hi Folks,
From a rookie point of view, this video is very well done, informative, and really does not leave many questions at all. I'm definitely glad I decided to get this disc. I think a finishing video that starts at final grinding/trueing up lines and continuing to the polish would be a great compliment.
Take care, Craig

#9 John Frankl

John Frankl
  • Members
  • 310 posts

Posted 11 December 2006 - 06:27 AM

I just finished watching this all the way through. I would like to recommend it without reservation. I think it is a tremendous bargain, considering the amount of information and detail provided. I hope Walter continues to produce videos of other aspects of the craft.

John

#10 dan pfanenstiel

dan pfanenstiel
  • Supporting Member
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing in japanese style. Learning stone polishing. I make some western knives.

Posted 04 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

I liked this video too. I wasn't going to buy it 'cause I've always tried to figure it all out myself. Then I thought to myself, why not see what the man's got to show us? Like said before, I learned a couple of things within the first half of the the show, and a couple more after that, making it all worth while. It was a relief too to find out that I didn't do too bad on my technique either, as Walter and I have arrived at some suprisingly similar conclusions about how to get it done.

All in all, I would quickly recommend this for someone wanting a little of the myth cleared up, and mine gets put up in the ol' reference library.

Dan
Dan Pfanenstiel

#11 Monty

Monty
  • Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 10 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

great vid Walter.

I'm with everyone else..do a polishing DVD next.

Maybe a little bit on grinding and truing up lines at the start of the DVD
Regards,
Mumtaz Baber

Jack of all trades, master of none

#12 matt venier

matt venier
  • Supporting Member
  • 577 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:07 PM

Hey Walter
Great dvd! I'm in for a polishing dvd, forging dvd, Hell you make a dvd about anything I'll buy it!

There's no kissaki like an O-kissaki!

http://www.venierdes...c./Welcome.html

#13 wannabeswordsmith

wannabeswordsmith
  • Supporting Member
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing<br />Football and other sports<br />Drawing and Sketching<br />My family<br />Banging the heck out of metal.

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:14 AM

I echo the statement "hell make anything, I'll buy it". This video is WELLLL worth it. I have wasted money on lots of videos before and most are dissapointing. This is a well done, very informative, and even sometimes funny narriation, but this is the kind of stuff I've been hoping for. Great Job Walter. MORE MORE MORE.
THIS IS WORTH IT GUYS, BUY IT.

Scott In Mississippi
Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

#14 Tim Lively

Tim Lively
  • Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:48 PM

Sorry it took me so long to post about this video Walter. Its very good. I really learned a lot from it and recommend it to anyone interested it making knives with a hamon. The price is very reasonable too. Make more!
He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users