Photo

Antique Bowie & Sheath

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:ABS..Bowie Knives! Folders! Money! Women! (as long as it is my wife)  i did not know a knife had a point on it till i was 18 and went into the service. it was then i saw the first pointed knife. my mom and dad broke off the points of any knife they gave me. so i would not put my eye out.

Posted 17 October 2003 - 11:23 PM

Hey Everyone, i posted a picture of this bowie last week with 2 others, but i had not made a sheath for it, i finished the sheath today and thought i would share it, It is my first attempt at making tip and throat style sheaths, i used .032 nickelsilver, i formed all the pieces on my press using urethane and steal forms, it is really a cool way to shape things, the tip is 4 pieces and the throat is 5. the Knife and sheath are my recreation of a 1830 bowie that i saw, and was made by man named Padel from New Orleans in 1830's, i just thought it was a cool knife..i maybe be showing it in the wrong forum, no offense, but it seems swords are the biggie here..i just like sharp things..

forgot the dang picture

#2 DFogg

DFogg
  • Super Administrators
  • 2,813 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:13 AM

That's a beauty Billy Bob.  :)

Don Fogg

#3 Wild Rose

Wild Rose
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:38 PM

Very nicely done Billybob.

One note of correction though?? - I believe you mean the knifemaker's name to be Pradel? A. Pradel was a surgical knife maker in New Orleans during the 1830-1840's and his work is extremely rare. I did a sheath for a repro Pradel a while back and found very little info on the man or his knives.

BTW - Another option for making tips and throats is casting them - there is a tutorial on the Engnath site. Also I find that sterling is much easier to work with when forming than nickel although it is more expensive. Properly annealed I can use the sheath itself as a form.

I'd say from the response to your recent posts that many here like your work Billybob so keep it up.

Chuck Burrows
Wild Rose Trading Co
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

#4 Wild Rose

Wild Rose
  • Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:57 PM

http://gmartin-aucti...=211&pictures=4
Is this the link to the original?

But maybe using urethane and the press would be a good topic..i will share what i know

I for one would like to hear about your methods.

Here's the direct link to the casting manual on engnath.com - http://engnath.com/public/manframe.htm
Basic lost wax casting is really quite simple and the supplies (including instruction books) can be had from Rio Grande Jewelry Suppley http://www.riogrande.com or Indian Jewelry Supply http://www.ijsinc.com

Chuck Burrows
Wild Rose Trading Co
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

#5 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 61 posts
  • Interests:ABS..Bowie Knives! Folders! Money! Women! (as long as it is my wife)  i did not know a knife had a point on it till i was 18 and went into the service. it was then i saw the first pointed knife. my mom and dad broke off the points of any knife they gave me. so i would not put my eye out.

Posted 21 October 2003 - 12:37 AM

again thanks,
the hides in the back ground are ostrich legs, make great in-lays for bowie sheaths..i guess i need to start another thread on making tips and throats for the sheaths..but i am pooped,,so maybe tomorrow..again thanks..

#6 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 October 2003 - 11:07 PM

Hey Everyone, i posted a picture of this bowie last week with 2 others, but i had not made a sheath for it, i finished the sheath today and thought i would share it, It is my first attempt at making tip and throat style sheaths, i used .032 nickelsilver, i formed all the pieces on my press using urethane and steal forms, it is really a cool way to shape things, the tip is 4 pieces and the throat is 5. the Knife and sheath are my recreation of a 1830 bowie that i saw, and was made by man named Padel from New Orleans in 1830's, i just thought it was a cool knife..i maybe be showing it in the wrong forum, no offense, but it seems swords are the biggie here..i just like sharp things..

#7 Geoff Keyes

Geoff Keyes
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 12:58 AM

Beautiful work.  I think this is just the right forum.  Could you go into some detail on how you constructed the pieces?  This is something I've been wanting to try, so any tips on pitfalls would be a big help.  I'm also interested in how you attached the pieces when they were done.

I also found a tutorial on the web for NS sheaths, same sort of construction.Nickel Silver Sheath

Geoff

in the (finally) Great North Wet

"The worst day smithing is better than the best day working for someone else."

I said that.

If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
- - -G. K. Chesterton

So, just for the record: the fact that it does work still should not be taken as definitive proof that you are not crazy.

Grant Sarver

#8 Rik Palm

Rik Palm
  • Members
  • 459 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 10:26 AM

They work very nice together!  I like the whole package.

Rik

#9 Billybob

Billybob
  • Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 18 October 2003 - 06:38 PM

WEW! thanks to all,,Wild Rose your are right, his name was Pradel..Jim Batson lead me to a website that had auctioned off the orginal, Jim had drawn up a scaled set of drawings and i made mine from them. I am trying to roll out some coin silver now for tips and throats, I am so new at using the urethane and the press to make sheath hardware, that i may not be the one to ask How-To, Don and Alex Daniels showed me what little i know, casting?..mmmm, i ain't there yet so i will not try that for a while.But maybe using urethane and the press would be a good topic..i will share what i know, anyway thanks a bunch guys,

#10 Gouge

Gouge
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 08:35 AM

Very cool. Something I have yet to try. What kind of hides are those in the background?

Mark

#11 Robert Hatcher

Robert Hatcher
  • Members
  • 263 posts

Posted 20 October 2003 - 02:39 PM

Nice Billybob, and as usual very "classic"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users