Photo

Beer = better forging?

• Please log in to reply
329 replies to this topic

#281 Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Bronze age, iron age, early medieval.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks Jeroen,

I will see if I can find some. Our Whole Foods and Central Markets carry a lot of types of beer. Maybe I will get lucky.

What we get here is of the brand Mongozo:
http://www.mongozo.c...nt/exotic-beers
The others are interesting to try once, but only for the oddity of it. I wouldn't take those as a replacement.

Sigh :(

But give some quinoa to some monasteries, and I'm sure they'll come up with some great trappist version at some point :)
Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Bronze age living history in the Netherlands: http://1501bc.com/index_en.html
Barbarian metalworking: http://1501bc.com/metalworking/
Museum photos: http://1501bc.com/page/index2.html
Information about saxes: http://1501bc.com/fi...about_saxes.zip

#282 Danocon

Danocon
  • Members
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Swordmaking. Kendo, Iaido, Housebuilding , Guitar, Fiddle and Grandkids.

Posted 17 January 2012 - 08:19 AM

but it /is/ quite refreshing if you take it as hop flavored soda.

Michael,
I like it :). Good way of looking at it. I have seen some Gluten-free light beers and turned my nose up at them since I am a bit of a stout snob.
Will revisit them with new attitude. ;)

#283 Jeff Pringle

Jeff Pringle
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:01 AM

I recently rediscovered that book that first brought the Beer=Fe ˛ equation to my notice and inspired this thread, when I found one by his son on line: “The gun and its development: with notes on shooting” By William Wellington Greener ( http://books.google....id=LAsAAAAAQAAJ )- and I wondered how prevalent the B=Fe ˛ concept was at the time. I did a couple book searches, but found no more evidence of beer equaling improved forging. However, there was a clear association of Blacksmiths and Beer in the cultural mind of the 1800s, check it out:
An early one, back when fs could be Ss-
The spiritual Quixote:...: Volume 3, Richard Graves – 1774
“...foon retired to rest, without meeting with any incident worth according: only, finding a drunken Blacksmith in the house, ... Tugwcll is under a Necessity of drinking Strong- beer instead of Small.”

This is a good one -
The Farmer's magazine - 1866
“Neither were the peasantry the chief consumers of beer ; on the contrary, he supposed that a swarthy blacksmith of Birmingham or Wolverhampton would consume four times as much as an agricultural labourer.”

It shows up in law, sort of –
Reports from commissioners - Great Britain. House of Commons - 1876
“Then do you mean you were brought up as a blacksmith ? — Yes. 12.375. But you do not follow that occupation now ? — No. 12.376. ... Is it true that you asked Dickenson to trust you with some beer because you had no money to pay for it ?” :blink:

Art-
Catalogue of prints and drawings in the British Museum - 1877
“A very fat man, a cooper or a blacksmith, is behind the paviour, he smokes, and waves a shoulder of mutton in one hand, a pot of frothing beer in the other.”

Anthropology, or what passed for it in the late 1800’s -
Uncivilized races of men in all countries of the world Vol. 1 J. G. Wood - 1870
“Some jars of beer stand within the shadow of the fence for the occasional refreshment of the blacksmiths.”

…and early 1900s – I like how the beer is an integral ingredient here, not gratuity or fee:
The Museum journal: Volumes 1-4 - University of Pennsylvania. 1910
“The blacksmith's fee for making a spear is a goat, the goat being the ordinary medium of exchange and unit of value. The customer, however, always supplies the materials, that is to say, the lumps of iron, the charcoal and the beer...”

History-
A history of the new California: Volume 2 - Leigh Hadley Irvine - 1903
“After a short stay in San Francisco he continued his journey to San Jose and established the first brewery in Santa Clara county, manufacturing the first keg of beer in Balback's blacksmith shop.” ^_^

Semi-history?
A history of Monmouth and Ocean Counties: - Edwin Salter - 1890
“So the poor blacksmith had to pawn a miniature ship in order to get his drink. As to how the affair ended, there is no clue.” :huh:

Poetry- someone should read this book, the title sounds good ;)
The curiosities of ale & beer: an entertaining history… Cook et al. - 1889
“The Salamander Blacksmith that lives by the fire, While his Bellowes are puffing a blustring gale, Will shake off his full Kan, and sweare each true Vulcan, Will Hazzard his witts for a Pot of Good Ale.”

Literature –
Honoré de Balzac in French Fiction: Volume 7 - 1917
“Before he sent home his apprentices, he would drink several deep glasses of cool beer with them, while he watched the workers coming out of the factories.”

I think I know where this is going :o -
The works of William Makepeace Thackeray: Volume 7 - 1868
“The blacksmith, besides his forge and irons for horses, had an alehouse for men, which his wife kept, ... drank their beer. Now, there was a pretty girl at this inn, the landlord's men called Nancy Sievewright, a bouncing, fresh-looking ...”

Thackeray again,
The Roadside Inn. - 1873
“The blacksmith had ordered another jug of beer to moisten gossip…”

August Strindberg’s “The German lieutenant, and other stories” - 1915
“The blacksmith, who had received his jug of beer, lifted it, took his cap off, and said in a solemn voice, ' ' Saint Michael and Saint Loyus ! ' ' Then he threw back his head and took some tremendously deep draughts of the beer...”

Blacksmiths also moonlighted as alemen at the time –
History, gazetteer, and directory of Norfolk - 1836
“…Wm. Sharratt, blacksmith and beer house”
History, gazetteer, and directory of Northamptonshire - 1849
“…blacksmith & beer- retailer Moors Henry,”
The Law journal: Volume 22 - 1887
“THORPE Edward, late beer house keeper, wheelwright, and blacksmith”

A few more anecdotal mentions -
Cope's tobacco plant: a monthly periodical Volume 2, Issues 84-130 - 1877
“The blacksmith was an elderly man, a widower, with one little girl at home about twelve years of age. He never made the alehouse his haunt, although he liked a glass of beer.”

New Colorado and the Santa Fé trail - Augustus Allen Hayes - 1880
“Dick's got some beer in his shop charitably suggested the second store keeper again gracefully stretched on his counter He ain t there a great deal but he most always leaves the key at the blacksmith's
The blacksmith remarked that he "must wash down that wedge before he made another," and when Dick arrived he took the key from him and opened the door. Then somebody said " Beer," :lol:

The strand magazine: Volume 23 - 1902
"Just at that moment John Biggs, the blacksmith, come in from the taproom,”

Outing: Volume 44 - 1904
“"Sure, that it is," replies the gentleman, "and how much do I owe you?" he asks. "Oh, five dollars I guess," says the blacksmith, and a beer-keg is handed over.”

Railway and locomotive engineering: a practical journal Volume 20 - 1907
“…the column shrank like a big schooner of beer in Clark's parlors when a thirsty blacksmith has a long pull at it”
:D B)
Jomsvikingar Rađa Ja!
http://vikingswordsmith.com

#284 Howard Clark

Howard Clark
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:53 AM

I knew it! Respected by all, but not necessarily considered respectable. With a fondness for ale.

Thanks to you lot here I am also making ale. Bottled a lovely brown last night, and have a batch of stout that is almost ready as well. :)

Mead takes a depressingly long time compared to ale. Still a long way from dinking that, I am afraid.

#285 J.Arthur Loose

J.Arthur Loose
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,518 posts
  • Interests:Damascus Blades, the Dark Ages, Dark Beer, Dark Forests, Irish Banjo-Bouzouki-Mandola, History, Mythology, Decentralization, Bioregionalism, Heathenry, Beekeeping, Brewing, Motorcycling.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:39 AM

I think I know where this is going -

The works of William Makepeace Thackeray: Volume 7 - 1868
“The blacksmith, besides his forge and irons for horses, had an alehouse for men, which his wife kept, ... drank their beer. Now, there was a pretty girl at this inn, the landlord's men called Nancy Sievewright, a bouncing, fresh-looking ...”

Wherever that's going, I'm going right there myself!

Jeff, this body of evidence is clearly reflecting an ancient correlation, steeped in mythology, folklore and anecdotal evidence, as well as our own contemporary experience and understanding. As metalsmithing is transformative in nature, and in the history of human experience, frequently understood as magical or alchemical, it stands to reason that the transformative action of fermentation rightfully belongs to those who grasp the hammer and tongs. It's a completely complementary affair. B=Fe2 !

Howard, in order to brew mead you have to more brew beer to ease the waiting. ;)

symb2.jpg
J.Arthur Loose
Damascus rings
Damascus blades

#286 Christopher Makin

Christopher Makin
  • Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

My sweetie turns her nose up at American baseball beer (thin pilsners like PBR or Miller Light)... but after a relative left 1/2 case with us one hot August I learned to really appreciate it.

Not as "beer" mind you - - - but it /is/ quite refreshing if you take it as hop flavored soda.

Amen

#287 Howard Clark

Howard Clark
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 02:06 PM

Howard, in order to brew mead you have to more brew beer to ease the waiting.

Aye, that's exactly what I thought, and have been doing. :D

#288 owen bush

owen bush
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Profesional smith ,More and more I am interested in the history of out craft ,It just drags me back .

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:16 PM

Tish,
well I must say piffle.
whilst exploring the good virtues of a drop of the dark stuff over the last year or so I have been developing a serious allergy (or two) .
started with port (asthma, loss of breath) , and then wine and then dark beer (glowing red neck)(all my faves are killing me). It all culminated on rose Champaign and possibly peach schnapps, the combination of which made me come up in hives (all my forging burns stood up on my arms like blisters) and the dreaded wheezing loss of breath.
poor me , poor me , pour me a drink!
so to the forge I must go sober as a judge whilst I pile on in to an extended stay of abstinence (6 months or so to clean out my system)
hey ho!
so cheers and drink up you merry men.
forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

#289 Brian Madigan

Brian Madigan
  • Supporting Member
  • 761 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:29 PM

Owen, appears you are intolerant to alcohol, for this is the common ingredient in all of those for certain. To your health!
I won't go near the shop (especially the grinder) after having a drink or two. I've only had funny shaped blades come of it.

#290 J.Arthur Loose

J.Arthur Loose
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,518 posts
  • Interests:Damascus Blades, the Dark Ages, Dark Beer, Dark Forests, Irish Banjo-Bouzouki-Mandola, History, Mythology, Decentralization, Bioregionalism, Heathenry, Beekeeping, Brewing, Motorcycling.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:27 PM

A crime, Owen, a tragedy! Seriously. Good wishes for a full recovery.

symb2.jpg
J.Arthur Loose
Damascus rings
Damascus blades

#291 Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Jeroen Zuiderwijk
  • Members
  • 1,091 posts
  • Interests:Bronze age, iron age, early medieval.

Posted 18 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

Tish,
well I must say piffle.
whilst exploring the good virtues of a drop of the dark stuff over the last year or so I have been developing a serious allergy (or two) .
started with port (asthma, loss of breath) , and then wine and then dark beer (glowing red neck)(all my faves are killing me). It all culminated on rose Champaign and possibly peach schnapps, the combination of which made me come up in hives (all my forging burns stood up on my arms like blisters) and the dreaded wheezing loss of breath.
so to the forge I must go sober as a judge whilst I pile on in to an extended stay of abstinence (6 months or so to clean out my system)
hey ho!

Oh no! So you mean we'll now only be seeing saxes without those nice waving/toothed welds? ;)

But seriously, that sucks. Let's hope the 6 months will do the trick.
Jeroen Zuiderwijk

Bronze age living history in the Netherlands: http://1501bc.com/index_en.html
Barbarian metalworking: http://1501bc.com/metalworking/
Museum photos: http://1501bc.com/page/index2.html
Information about saxes: http://1501bc.com/fi...about_saxes.zip

#292 Howard Clark

Howard Clark
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,417 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 09:30 PM

Well at least you have coffee Owen. :)

#293 owen bush

owen bush
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts
  • Interests:Profesional smith ,More and more I am interested in the history of out craft ,It just drags me back .

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:30 PM

Well at least you have coffee Owen. :)

oh yeh, fear the sober man who just drinks coffee............
forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

#294 Josh Burrell

Josh Burrell
  • Members
  • 553 posts
  • Interests:Craft, History and European culture

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

oh yeh, fear the sober man who just drinks coffee............

a warning...

Onen Hag Ol.

#295 Joshua.M

Joshua.M
  • Members
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:blacksmithing, bladesmithing, tool making, carpentry, wood working, football, hockey, basketball, farming, horse riding and showing, guns, cars

Posted 01 April 2012 - 09:29 PM

creemore.... this is all that needs to be said...
oh ahem i mean... ya im 16 and iv never drank either :wacko: :blink: :unsure: :rolleyes:
Josh McLaren
4Leaf Forge

#296 Mike Sheffield

Mike Sheffield
  • Members
  • 992 posts
  • Interests:Bladesmithing, knives, swords, martial arts, and my family

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:28 PM

Gents I have a new love. New Belgium 1554 Black Ale. Funny though an ale using a lager yeast.
My life is like shaving with a razor sharp machete. It's a bit awkward. I feel a sting every now and then, but in the end I'm happy with the results.

#297 Danocon

Danocon
  • Members
  • 652 posts
  • Interests:Swordmaking. Kendo, Iaido, Housebuilding , Guitar, Fiddle and Grandkids.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

I knew it! Respected by all, but not necessarily considered respectable. With a fondness for ale.

Bottled a lovely brown last night, and have a batch of stout that is almost ready as well. :)

Sighhhhh!

I so miss stout. :(

#298 Danocon

Danocon
  • Members
  • 652 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

Tish,
well I must say piffle.
hey ho!

Ahh! I feel your pain Owen.

I have found that a decent tequila (specifically 1800 Reposado)now and then does not set off the allergy demons.

#299 owen bush

owen bush
  • Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:20 PM

well ......I lasted 4 months!!!!!!!
dived off the wagon this eve!!
da da da da Da Da...da da da da Da Da ...Da Da ..Da Da ...HOY.........Da Da Da Da ....Hoy!!!
Im gonna steer clear of the nasties and have dropped 20 lb so mines a large (plain boring beer) and a whisky!!!!!
Cheers
forging soul in to steel

owenbush.co.uk

#300 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,259 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Cheers, indeed! :D

My wife has that problem with dark beers and red wine, something about the protien-like leptins(?) in them that can trigger histamine reactions. One glass of a tannic red and her tongue goes numb and she gets flushed. Of course, since you mentioned peach schnapps, all bets are off. That stuff is poisonous at best, utterly malevolent in any circumstance!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users