4140 steel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beuford23

beuford23
  • Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

Has anyone here experimented/worked with 4140 steel? What were the results, pitfalls etc. if it is possible to use this at all for knife making?
STANDING AT THE EDGE OF THE GENE POOL WITH A BOTTLE OF CLOROX IN HAND.........

#2 B Finnigan

B Finnigan
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Physical rehab, blade forging, machining, woodworking, hiking, mountain biking, home brewing, coffee roasting and photography.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

I use it alot for hammers since the chrome and molybdenum alloy (chrome-molly) adds extra hardening and impact resistance. It HT's very predictably and consistantly but I would not use it for blade steel. You may be able to get a passable edge if you use superquench.

It is also very expensive steel compared to some of the higher carbon simple steels like 1080/84 and 1095.

It's great stuff to have around for making tools, punches etc but not the best for knives.

Edited by B Finnigan, 11 June 2007 - 08:50 PM.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

#3 Bearpaw

Bearpaw
  • Members
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, bladesmithing, sheath making.

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

My first random pattern damascus was made from 5160 and 4140. My 1/4" billet split into two 1/8" pieces which I made into thinner blades and a food chopper. I called this my damage control damascus. Seems chrome does not like welding to chrome.

Edited by Bearpaw, 12 June 2007 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Ty Murch

Ty Murch
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

4140 is deep hardening, isn't it? If so, why?

#5 JohnW

JohnW
  • Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

4140 is deep hardening, isn't it? If so, why?

Hey Tyler, not that I've forged 4140, but I see in the books that 4xxx is molly-whatever, and mollybidium is supposed to impart a deep hardening characteristic to the steel. My books are home and I don't remeber what the 1 is, as in 41xx, but the 40 is .40% carbon (less that half as much as 1095).

I don't know if this is really what you meant by your question, but if it is, you ought to go to the library and get a hold of Dr. Jim's book or one of the other knife books. The description of the codes and the characteristics of the steel is real interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users