4140 steel

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 beuford23

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:23 PM

Has anyone here experimented/worked with 4140 steel? What were the results, pitfalls etc. if it is possible to use this at all for knife making?

#2 B Finnigan

B Finnigan
  • Supporting Member
  • 2,247 posts
  • Interests:Physical rehab, blade forging, machining, woodworking, hiking, mountain biking, home brewing, coffee roasting and photography.

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:47 PM

I use it alot for hammers since the chrome and molybdenum alloy (chrome-molly) adds extra hardening and impact resistance. It HT's very predictably and consistantly but I would not use it for blade steel. You may be able to get a passable edge if you use superquench.

It is also very expensive steel compared to some of the higher carbon simple steels like 1080/84 and 1095.

It's great stuff to have around for making tools, punches etc but not the best for knives.

Edited by B Finnigan, 11 June 2007 - 08:50 PM.

Everything I need to know I learned from the people trapped in my basement.

I'm out of my mind but feel free to leave a message.

#3 Bearpaw

• Members
  • 119 posts
  • Interests:Blacksmithing, bladesmithing, sheath making.

Posted 12 June 2007 - 06:45 PM

My first random pattern damascus was made from 5160 and 4140. My 1/4" billet split into two 1/8" pieces which I made into thinner blades and a food chopper. I called this my damage control damascus. Seems chrome does not like welding to chrome.

Edited by Bearpaw, 12 June 2007 - 06:47 PM.

#4 Ty Murch

Ty Murch
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 11:56 AM

4140 is deep hardening, isn't it? If so, why?

#5 JohnW

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 June 2007 - 04:50 PM

4140 is deep hardening, isn't it? If so, why?

Hey Tyler, not that I've forged 4140, but I see in the books that 4xxx is molly-whatever, and mollybidium is supposed to impart a deep hardening characteristic to the steel. My books are home and I don't remeber what the 1 is, as in 41xx, but the 40 is .40% carbon (less that half as much as 1095).

I don't know if this is really what you meant by your question, but if it is, you ought to go to the library and get a hold of Dr. Jim's book or one of the other knife books. The description of the codes and the characteristics of the steel is real interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users