Photo

"RUSTY" THE POWER HAMMER PLANS

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 wannabeswordsmith

wannabeswordsmith
  • Supporting Member
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing<br />Football and other sports<br />Drawing and Sketching<br />My family<br />Banging the heck out of metal.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:55 PM

ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ON THE PLANS ON ANVILFIRE FOR HOME MADE POWER HAMMERS. I think the design is named "rusty" the power hammer? Are they easy to make or money feasible? (Hope so)
Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

#2 Ty Murch

Ty Murch
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:15 PM

Here you are. Rusty plans. Rusty plans on Daniel Gentile's site.

#3 Greg Thomas Obach

Greg Thomas Obach
  • Members
  • 3,459 posts
  • Interests:steel forgings, melting steel and iron

Posted 27 September 2007 - 05:17 PM

Whuuuups... Ty you beat me to it... :lol:

and you can see his vid on youtube of that sucker working some steel

Greg

Edited by Greg Thomas Obach, 27 September 2007 - 05:19 PM.

#4 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,259 posts
  • Interests:World Domination

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:52 AM

I'd build a tire hammer, myself. I built a light (20lb) rusty and was not overly impressed. Daniel's is MUCH bigger and seems to work really well.

Send Clay Spencer $30 and get a set of plans and measured drawing for the tire hammer.

#5 wannabeswordsmith

wannabeswordsmith
  • Supporting Member
  • 214 posts
  • Interests:Hunting and fishing<br />Football and other sports<br />Drawing and Sketching<br />My family<br />Banging the heck out of metal.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:11 PM

I'd build a tire hammer, myself. I built a light (20lb) rusty and was not overly impressed. Daniel's is MUCH bigger and seems to work really well.

Send Clay Spencer $30 and get a set of plans and measured drawing for the tire hammer.

i saw a picture of a tire hammer on a site, are they able to last a while? Also when you said overly impressed, did it work respectably well? What would you say the draw backs were. When I saw the plans for sale, my mouth started watering because cost is such an issue, I couldn't come close to buyin a good power hammer right now, little giant or other production models.

Scott
Scott Hale - www.halestormforge.com

#6 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 11:34 AM

i saw a picture of a tire hammer on a site, are they able to last a while? Also when you said overly impressed, did it work respectably well? What would you say the draw backs were. When I saw the plans for sale, my mouth started watering because cost is such an issue, I couldn't come close to buyin a good power hammer right now, little giant or other production models.

Scott

The "plans" for rusty, if purchased from the guy in West Virginia who made the first one, are three pages of hand drawings with some suggestions about what measurements might work. You build 'em with what you've got, and if you are not a good machine builder it won't be a good hammer. I never even put a motor on mine because I'm such a bad welder I though it'd fall apart! I sold it to another guy who finished it off, and it works fairly well for a 20-lb hammer made of junk.

The drawbacks to a Rusty: the speed and spring length/weight must be carefully balanced, mostly by trial and error. Long flat springs are most efficient at one particular speed and stroke. Also, the way the ram is connected to the spring makes me nervous. It's possible for the ram to get launched through the roof if the spring breaks on the upstroke, which does happen.
Bottom line: It's as good as you are at building it. As long as it cycles it'll beat a hand hammer any day!

As for tire hammers, those plans are measured drawings and parts lists. Again, you have to be able to weld and align things well. BUT once you get it finished, I'd rather run a tire hammer than an equivalent weight Little Giant any day. They're faster and hit harder than a Rusty for any given ram weight, they're more adjustable, and most importantly they're inherently much more controllable. Daniel Gentile's Crusty is an excellent hammer, but Daniel is a professional machinist who knows what he's doing. I'm not!

Edited to add: I just checked out Daniel's free plans for Krusty, and they are excellent. As long as you are, too! ;) It all comes down to your tastes and abilities, this is all my opinion and I'm just a goofball like the rest of humanity. :wacko:

In my opinion the tire hammer is the best homebuilt mechanical model available today. I think they even outdo air hammers under 150 lbs. Air just doesn't have the "snap" of a good mechanical design, which is why most guys like a 150lb air hammer that does the work of a 50lb mechanical. In the past the clutch has always been the weak spot of mechanical hammers. The tire hammer fixes that problem. It's just as controllable, if not more so, than most air hammers. This is based on personal experience with seven different air hammers ranging in ram weight from 50 to 150 lbs, homemade and factory built, three different Little Giants (two 25lbers and a 100 lber), a 65 lb Champion mechanical, a 50lb Star mechanical, and two different tire hammers (one 50 lb and one 25 lb). Out of that pile o' hammers, the tire hammers were better than the LGs, equal to all but two of the air hammers, and as good as the other two mechanical hammers. The ONLY advantage I see in air hammers is no need to adjust the stroke for use with tooling between the dies. Otherwise, they're finicky and there's no way around a big, expensive, and noisy compressor without which the hammer is useless. I know, a screw compressor is virtually silent, but they're also $7K.

Tire hammer plans are available for $30 from Clay Spencer at clay@tirehammer.com (the website isn't up yet), 73 Penniston Private Drive, Somerville, AL 35670, 256-498-1498.

And no, Clay isn't paying me to advertise for him, the 50lb Star mentioned above is mine and I don't need another hammer. :lol: I'm just that impressed with the design.

Edited by Alan Longmire, 29 September 2007 - 11:41 AM.

#7 Tom Megow

Tom Megow
  • Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 29 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

In my opinion the tire hammer is the best homebuilt mechanical model available today. I think they even outdo air hammers

Know of any videos, or slideprsentations of tire hammers. I couldn't find any on YouTube or Clay's web site.
That being said I could have missed them

#8 Alan Longmire

Alan Longmire

Forum Board

• Super Administrators
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:03 AM

Know of any videos, or slideprsentations of tire hammers. I couldn't find any on YouTube or Clay's web site.
That being said I could have missed them

I don't know of any videos, but go the www.forgemagic.com site and search for "tire hammer" in the archives and you'll get maybe 20 pictures of different hammers. Do a google image search and you'll find a few more.

If you're close to John C. Campbell Folk School, drive on by and ask to see one, they have two.

#9 Mike Lambiase

Mike Lambiase
  • Supporting Member
  • 362 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:39 AM

I am building a tire hammer right now. I have based it off of every picture of them that i have seen.

I have access to a trade schools welding shop, and can source out most of the materials, but I am in the dark when it comes to knowing what this hammer should feel like.

I have to find a local mechanical hammer of any sort, so i can operate it and get a feel for it.

I am nearing completion of my hammer after nearly 2 years of working on it off and on, in between school and everything else, there is just not enough time.

I have built it with no plans and no access to precision anything (lathes, milling machines, cnc machines, so on...) so the going has been slow.

I have never even been able to look at a real power hammer up close to figure out all of the linkages.

I have tried at least 4 different styles of ram guides, but none have worked well for me.

I am thinking that a 4 inch offset on the linkage is a bit much for trying to get all of the motion of the ram to go vertical.

I am thinking about dismantleing the whole damned thing and rebuilding it from the ground up.

perhaps I should order some plans... even though I was one of the kids who looked at the picture on the lego box, and didnt need the instructions...

ohh yeah, and the reason I am saying all of this...

it is quite an undertaking if you dont have access to the right tools and materials.

Mike Lambiase
Mike Lambiase
Burning Man Forge

#10 DGentile

DGentile

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile [Bladesmith & Machinist]

• Supporting Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 07:29 AM

I don't know of any videos, but go the www.forgemagic.com site and search for "tire hammer" in the archives and you'll get maybe 20 pictures of different hammers. Do a google image search and you'll find a few more.

If you're close to John C. Campbell Folk School, drive on by and ask to see one, they have two.

I guess tyler is referring to my "patternwelding" video... where "KRUSTY" (my rusty version) can be seen in action:

cheers

daniel
FERRUM - Daniel Gentile
custom knives & forging classes
http://www.dgentile.com

stahl.mechanik | d. gentile
machining, tool making, fabrication
http://www.stahlmechanik.com

#11 Ty Murch

Ty Murch
  • Supporting Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 21 October 2007 - 09:03 PM

I guess tyler is referring to my "patternwelding" video... where "KRUSTY" (my rusty version) can be seen in action:

cheers

daniel

That's good too, but I was referring to the actual hammer plans k/rusty that you have there.

Edited by Ty Murch, 21 October 2007 - 09:04 PM.

#12 DGentile

DGentile

FERRUM - Daniel Gentile [Bladesmith & Machinist]

• Supporting Member
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 22 October 2007 - 02:14 AM

That's good too, but I was referring to the actual hammer plans k/rusty that you have there.

hmm... it's the only video showing krusty I have on youtube... I had others on my website only though...
FERRUM - Daniel Gentile
custom knives & forging classes
http://www.dgentile.com

stahl.mechanik | d. gentile
machining, tool making, fabrication
http://www.stahlmechanik.com

#13 Greg Thomas Obach

Greg Thomas Obach
  • Members
  • 3,459 posts
  • Interests:steel forgings, melting steel and iron

Posted 22 October 2007 - 07:55 AM

Hi

did a little lookin on that forge magic site and i found some pics of the tire hammer... neat design..

http://www.forgemagi...t...p;cat=M&by=

thats all i could find... hope the links work..

G

#14 Bill Hoffman

Bill Hoffman
  • Supporting Member
  • 425 posts

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:22 PM

In a moment of idle thought I pondered - There's Rusty, Dusty, Krusty.
Whatever happened to some creative soul who will design a power hammer
called "B...."?

And what would it look like?

I suspect some creative bladesmith will come up with a wonderful
design we can all appreciate.

B

#15 Mike Turner

Mike Turner
  • Members
  • 597 posts
  • Interests:hunting,fishing,blacksmithing,woodworking

Posted 24 October 2007 - 07:37 PM