Jump to content

Jan Ysselstein

Supporting Member
  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Jan Ysselstein last won the day on May 18

Jan Ysselstein had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

87 Excellent

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    west coast of usa ( USACAstan )
  • Interests
    shaping and making of steel and iron

Recent Profile Visitors

3,733 profile views
  1. That particular photo may be hiding a tube for the smoke. I would not get too hung up on their secrets many of the smiths have shared much information in videos and demos. We may be looking at very skilled people and assuming there must be a secret there.....mostly skill.
  2. If the gas /air volume moves too slowly in your system and the system gets hot, explosions may occur inside the ribbon burner and the associated plumbing. This can be due to creating back pressure by closing the forge with a door or blocking the exit of gasses out of the forge. It is possible the whole thing is just too slow in the burner block allowing the burning to go to the volume behind the little holes. I had this happening in a forge ( not a ribbon burner ) which I had plumbed with 2 " pipe ...did the same thing. I would have another look at the burner block..cast one that
  3. Loris, Cooling rate and dendrite arm spacing has been researched and documented extensively. I do not know how you are melting/cooling/forging but for a dissertation you may want to go to induction melting using alumina crucibles. Controlling all the variables will be a challenge.
  4. Thanks Jerod the MIT definition helps when explaining the graph is upside down. I keep wanting to add solid carbon to the CO/CO2 ratios at those temperatures..I am not sure if that is the case or the numbers are just an actual measurement of added quantities.
  5. OK it is a go I have to gather some copper and just found a #6 crucible ( Graphite )..I will post the result. Lost wax . Jan
  6. Mac. That is a tremendous amount of work and information you have given to a person you have never met.Thank you very much.
  7. Mathew , I would start reading about how they were made in the old days. I would also start reading about the science of ceramics.
  8. Daniel is spot on regarding the effort i5 takes to chase the ceramics. I suggest you start with quality crucible and make good steel....if then you think you want to play with clay go for it.
  9. I have the propellor shaft to a liberty ship ( now cut into smaller lengths ) ..I was told by the old timer who sold it to me it was ( 8620 ). I took it to the welding shop next door for cutting and was told it ruined a couple of blades..that cutting job cost more than I expected. I have used these 7" diameter pieces as anvils .
  10. Heated the furnace to a good yellow heat to firm up the chalky nature of the old castable refractory shell. I tossed in a few low carbon pieces of bloom iron and created melt #3 an 800 gram ingot with a lobe of low carbon steel attached to one side. That lobe was removed and the remaining weight of high carbon steel is about 500 grams. Today I processed Oroshigane bloom #4 staying mostly within the guidelines suggested by Emiliano. Just short of 2000 grams ( low carbon bloom ) was put into the furnace and about 1650 grams of high carbon steel was produced. Not included in this weig
  11. The intent is not to reprocess many pounds of already consolidated bloom iron ..I am more interested in cleaning up bloom bits and what is found in the furnace after a smelt. A few more flattened bloom runs and I will go to bits. The above two runs were done in a 6" diameter crucible furnace using discarded charcoal...I was shooting myself in the foot. A new furnace is in the making having an 8" diameter inside..about 12 inches high. The shell is made of a castable hand me down refractory at least 20 years old ( open ). This creates a very weak material which has to be broug
  12. Emiliano, Beautiful blade , some fancy welding as well. I thought it was a hamon at first. Took down that offer of the little bloom , as it seemed awkward at its new location but it is still there. The rick assembly is looking better as I have just ruined a furnace due to a leak I should have plugged.
  13. Looking at the first trial of Oroshigane ( see picture below ), the carbon content is higher than first thought somewhere between 1% carbon and 2 % carbon. Todays run yielded 4 lbs of very high carbon steel at a yield of 80% as 5 lbs of flattened bloom iron were processed. No attempt was made to sort the input of the process by carbon content. Fragments were wire brushed, cut to no larger than 2.5 inches in any direction and no thicker than 5/16 inches.,See picture below. The bloom was attached to the furnace wall which was damaged during extracting. I will be running
  14. This post is a record of my attempt at getting some rework done ..either to another form and/or to another carbon content. Emiliano's post on refining steel in a hearth furnace inspired me to start the process . Thank you Emiliano. Maybe my expectations of the oroshigane process are too big..as I have some materials that will be difficult to work with...I may have to adjust the furnace rather than just the bottom. I have to do some reading about the role of Phosphorous in steel of varying carbon concentrations. Mark Green showed a white etch on low carbon steel ( iron ) ...in my mind I
  15. I am about to do a series of these, my furnace is like the Aristotle furnace without that extra primary little chamber. I do not enter at an angle but will be adjusting the bottom as needed. There is a lot of material around I hope to process ..I will post as I go along. I have photos of the little bloom I just made but for some reason they will not drag into the post. I think I just figured it out.
  • Create New...