I unfortunately haven't had time for much of anything besides school and work for the past few months, but I've finally finished one.
The blade started out as a large bearing race that i split and treated like 52100, 5 normalization cycles and 3 oil quenches followed by tempering it at 400F twice for 2 hours.
I did some chopping, cutting, and flexing with the blade and a mockup handle just to be sure, and it performed as well as any of my knives. It wasn't very pretty though, with a bit of forge scale smattered along the flats, so i etched the whole blade in vinegar over night. or i thought i etched the whole blade. Somehow only 4/5 of the blade got etched and there was a nasty line running across the blade. So i etched the rest of the blade and did a few mustard etches and wiped it with some FeCl since i didnt have much to lose, cosmetically.
The fittings are copper, which i patinated to match the blade, dabbing with FeCl and then with vinegar. The handle itself is redheart. I must say i was surprised at how vivid red this wood is. it's surprisingly light, and the dust stains everything. Fortunately it washes away with water. I left the handle a bit thinner than usual, and it's one of the most comfortable handles i've made, i think. The tang is peened over the pommel.
The blade is 9.5" long, with a bit of accidental recurve.
The handle is a hair under 5" long
so that gives it an OAL of 14.5"
I'm really pleased with how this knife turned out. It's fairly light and fast and it chops better than any other knife i've made.
anyways, enough jibber jabber. Here are a few pics. I still have yet to make a sheath for it.
thanks for lookin!