Jump to content

SteveShimanek

Supporting Member
  • Content Count

    805
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

105 Excellent

2 Followers

About SteveShimanek

  • Birthday 06/12/1962

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
    www.oloteleforge.com
  • ICQ
    0

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    American Samoa
  • Interests
    bladesmithing, blacksmithing, Japanese swords, aikido

Recent Profile Visitors

1,559 profile views
  1. That is some very clean forging!
  2. The changeover from tachi to katana was based on the main means of warfare, and occurred in the 1500s. The most obvious difference was in how the sword was carried, and the length and sugata (shape) of the sword. In earlier times, samurai fought from horseback using longer swords, and carried them edge down in a suspension harness; later, they fought on foot and carried their sword inside their obi (belt) edge up. (short version)
  3. I just did a search on the gidgee tree, being unfamiliar with it; it looked similar to Hawaiian koa, which makes sense as i found it is a member of the acacia family, like koa. Nice! ps i hate autospell, it is more work to fix the words it replaces
  4. Full refund, clean break, no jackwad in your forge....bullet dodged!
  5. I did some electrolysis on the tang to reduce the active red rust for about 2 hours; it came out pretty well. The shiny areas are remnants of the hamon after the sword was shortened...the end of the handle was reshaped like an unaltered sword, which was a practice in the 1500s that generally did not occur after that.
  6. That thing is a beast, good score, and welcome back.
  7. Watch out for chromium poisoning if you forge them.
  8. I made this a couple of days ago, and did the finishing today.....
  9. It has the shape and appearance of a Sue Bizen kazu uchi mono, the mass produced swords in the mid 1500s, witnessed by the forging flaws and core steel showing through after many polishes. It was probably a WW2 bringback that fell on hard times; it can rest in peace now. Thanks Geoff!
  10. So after a LOT of work and wearing out at least one of my water stones, I have reached the main conclusion of this restoration project; i will probably do a bit more experimentation with finishing techniques, but the main work is done. The hamon and boshi are present but weak, possibly due to overheating from the previous grinding, or it could just be that this sword was not top tier in the 1500s when it was likely made. Many defects still exist and will not be improved by further polish; good to know when enough is enough. Huge improvement overall.
  11. Beautiful work, though i have to say i think the guard overpowers the design.
×
×
  • Create New...