Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About MJDForge

  • Birthday 08/31/1995

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Rome, GA
  • Interests
    Knifemaking, golf, costuming, music, fandoms.
  1. Price drop to $85 shipped for quick sale
  2. Yanagiba in 1095, top part if the handle is ebony, bottom part is walnut. Overall length is 11 1/2", cutting edge is 6". Designed for right handed use. Asking $125 shipped. If interested, email me at archangel.blades@gmail.com
  3. Emiliano, I actually agree with you halfway about the choil on a lines standpoint, although keeping ergonomics and safety in mind, the choil ended up being the choice to go with. I did a couple of experimental models leading up to this final design (although I unfortunately don't have any pictures) and the first one didn't have a choil. The result was that I nearly cut myself while trying to use it, so the second and final versions had a choil. The choil was actually a toss-up for lines in the design, because I like the kind of interruption of the lines a choil gives. It's to me kind of like s
  4. John, these are super simple to put together. The only thing that you really have to worry about clearances on is the front piece, which you slot just like you would any bolster or guard. The only thing I used to hold them together was two-part epoxy. I put a lot on the tang, and then I filled the cavities in the wood as much as I could. I drilled the cavities for the tang quite a bit oversized. The steel was 1/8" stock, and I drilled the cavities with a 3/16" bit, and just used it as a milling bit to clear out the webbing in between. I pushed them down on top of each other, and squeezed the e
  5. I made this one a while ago, and I totally forgot to post it. The design is basically an extended version of the knives I made as groomsmen's gifts for a friend's wedding. The steel on this one is again 1075, and the handle is, starting from the layer nearest the blade, cherry, maple, and bloodwood. I'm getting better at making these, although the handle for this one didn't come out quite like I wanted it to. It ended up thinner than I would have liked due to the holes I drilled in the maple being just a little bit lopsided. The customer was very happy with it, though, and I guess that's what
  6. A friend recently asked me to make him a set of six knives for gifts to his groomsmen at his upcoming wedding. He wanted knives that were obviously a set, but also distinct in themselves. I thought this would be a pretty interesting challenge, so I decided to do it. What I decided to do was make the blades very nearly identical, and use the handles to give the knives individual character. The blades are all the same shape, but half of them have a satin polish and a very shallow false edge, while the other half have the "gator skin" texture from heat treatment left on. The steel for these is Ad
  7. Price drop to $35 shipped to US lower 48
  8. Price change to $45 shipped to lower 48
  9. price drop to $50 because that just makes more sense.
  10. This is a piece I made for myself but decided to sell because I need the money more. The steel is 5160 heat-colored to a deep gold color (400F temper). Overall length is just over 8", with a 3" blade. This is forged from a single piece of steel with the forge marks left in the handle, as well as one small one in the right side of the blade. The handle although being forged from the same piece is actually quite comfortable and offers excellent control in kitchen applications. Asking price is $60 plus shipping, negotiable. I'm willing to make more of these on by request, different blade
  11. I did something a little bit different from the usual the other day, and finally got it finished and photographed today. You may have noticed that I've slowed down on production over the past few weeks, and that's because we've been down a man at work. That's ending in the next couple of weeks, though, so I'll be back in the forge a lot more. Anyway, on to the blade. The steel is 5160, and the total length is about six inches. I did a heat color on this to protect it from rust and also because it looks sweet as hell. Not much to tell about this one, really. I'll let the pictures speak for the
  12. WOW. That was incredibly helpful, Dave. I'm not only incredibly grateful for the information, but also honored to have you comment on my thread. Steven, thanks for the advice. I may or may not continue with the mokume. I'll likely be buying some copper from Don as mentioned above, but until then I'm focusing on the blade. This will likely see some new development soon.
  13. I think actually what I'm going to do is straighten the blade, which I'm still able to do because I forged the bevels rather thick. I'm probably going to do something similar in style to a medieval backsword, although shorter than was typical. I'm most likely going to do an s guard, similar to the one in the picture below. I prefer straight swords over curved swords in both terms of aesthetics and handling, so that's what I'm going to go with. Thanks for the input, it made me explore some new information which led to tangents.
  14. It is khopesh-ish, now that you mention it. Not by design, I just ran out of coal.
  • Create New...