Jump to content

Philip Patton

Members
  • Content Count

    55
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    1

Philip Patton last won the day on February 2 2018

Philip Patton had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

9 Neutral

3 Followers

About Philip Patton

  • Birthday 03/17/1992

Contact Methods

  • Yahoo
    Chlorophil7@yahoo.com

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Interests
    Viking Age re-enactment, Blacksmithing, Woodworking, Bone carving, Growing orchids and bonsai, Scandinavian folk dance, Music, Photography, Technology, and learning/making things in general!

Recent Profile Visitors

560 profile views
  1. Hi all, I have a project I have been tasked with, that could possibly turn in to a few, and they revolve around making historically inspired Crusader swords. Right now I am gathering information so any info on them that you geniuses know of or links to info on them would be appreciated. For this first sword it is to have more of a german theme if possible, but for the others they will be different but all revolve around Crusaders. Also I am curious of any examples of engraving or decoration on them, both pattern styles and wording. Another thing that I am curious of is if all the wording found on them is in Latin, or are there examples of them with wording from their local language? Thank you all for any help in this adventure!
  2. Thanks guys! I have a friend that wants me to make him a 20sh" seax and I am working to figure things out to make him an awesome one to his liking. For this style of this sheath are they only Vendel age or do we have some that are Viking?
  3. So what is up with the line along the blade here? Is it a thin fuller, an inlay, corrosion in a bad weld, or something else? Also, do we have any remains of the sheaths with these blades?
  4. Will be keeping an eye open for more. Keep it up. And yes your thoughts on the photo are right, they are shield bosses and spurs.
  5. Nice WIP! Looks like another thing I need to add to my list of things to try.
  6. This is my first attempt at a frame handle knife, and it has taught me many things The blade was made from some Randy Haas stainless steel damascus, and is friction fit into a channel in the frame and is pulled tight to the guard by a bolt. The handle is made from horn I stabilized, wrought iron, and copper. The handle is held together with 9 pins and epoxy.
  7. Yep should have put heat treat oven in the title... I will have to try that ATP stuff out. What kind of alcohol do you mix it with, and I am guessing that you mix it fairly thin?
  8. So heat treating in tempering ovens is something I am learning about... What do you all do to avoid scale and carbon loss? And where do you get your heat treating foil or anti-scale powers/pastes? Also, do have any other fun things ideas one can do with tempering ovens? ~Philip
  9. Thanks Mohd and Scott! The fit up was time consuming.
  10. This project started out with what was going to be a w2 kitchen knife that I screwed up. For this project I feel that I went at it like a madman as I could not find anyone who as done anything like this online. By that I mean on the main of part of the blade I went over it several times with my Harbor Freight wire feed welder. All the welding was done with the blade at 400-800°f, and as soon as the welding was done I put it through 4 thermal cycles, and then I annealed for about over an hour of time in the forge as it cooled down. I did this to avoid stress. I knocked the welds off with my angle grinder. Here is after the quench Here is after a total of 4hrs of HT in my kitchen oven at 390 F, though the temp in there swings a lot. While grinding you could see a ton of contrast. It was sweet. After grinding I etched the blade in instant coffee. For the guard, I made it mainly out of wrought iron. I started by forging it close to shape. The shape became awkward on the anvil causing me to unintentionally tear the wrought iron where I did not want to. This led to cutting it apart and wire feed welding. After plenty of filing. At this point, I gave it a ferric chloride soak, and then I started adding in a couple pieces of orangish/red micarta. Next, I gave it a dark rust stopping patina, and for the end of the handle I used an ultra-high-molecular-weight low temp polyethylene. This allows the handle to literally be able to morph to whoever's hand that wishes to use it. All they have to do heat it up the handle to around 150F and squeeze. Some final photos: And here is a video of a sharpness/edge retention test after going at a 2x4 with it. I would have liked it if I made the blade heavier, but it stays sharp.
  11. Thanks Jonas and Craft! It dose helps having a plan. Sometimes they come along and other times I struggle. For example: I have another knife I am working on finish up the blade currently, that I have done some kind of experimental things with as well as some things out of my comfort zone. The blade is looking awesome at this point I think, and I know everything I want to do with that..., but now I'm working on trying to figure out what I want to do for the handle and sheath but I'm just not quite sure as of yet on the how's, what's, and transitions involving those aspects. It is driving me crazy.
×
×
  • Create New...